March 2017 Moms

PIH/Pre-e check in

Hey all!

I know we had a check in at the beginning, but I wanted to catch up with everyone now that we are towards the end of pregnancy.

Have you had any symptoms? How has your blood pressure been?
What measures have you and your doctor discussed to control bp/pre-e symptoms, if any?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PIH/Pre-e check in

• I had PIH with my DD, and my bp was very high (it read in the 200/100 range at the end), luckily I went into labor the day before my scheduled induction!

With this pregnancy, my blood pressure has been very low (occasionally will dip down into the 90's/60's, but mostly 112/70's has been the norm) but my dr is still worried about it going up. I'm checking it at home, and I am supposed to call her if it goes up to 130/90 or over. I measured yesterday and it was 128/89 but didn't call because I have an appointment Tuesday and figured I hadn't met her threshold so I should be ok waiting. I'm guessing I will hear more about the plan of action then!

I know for sure I am down to once a week appointments, she reluctantly gave me the week off last week as long as I promised to check bp at home :) 
  • Have you had any symptoms? Just swollen hands, which is pretty darn normal to all pregnancies. I have gotten a few dizzy spells this week, which, while not exactly headaches, does make me nervous. 

How has your blood pressure been? Fine, but variable. That also makes me nervous, since last time my bp never went above 130/80 until I failed my 24 hour urine test and at the hospital showed at 150/90. At the middle of my pregnancy it was around 100/60 to 110/70, but last two appts were more like 120/70 (my nonpregnant normal). I'm trying not to worry about the rise because I know in a normal pregnancy bp is higher at this point than the second tri.  

What measures have you and your doctor discussed to control bp/pre-e symptoms, if any? For now I've been taking a baby aspirin every morning since about 20 weeks. I'll stop at a month until my due date so it's out of my system before labor, but recently my body had been making me super nervous I'll go early so I'm going to talk to my midwife to see if I should actually stop next week. 

The fear of being induced again is real, yo.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Last time was induced as soon as I reached 37wks - boarderline Pre-E, but never fully diagnosed. Protein in urine, at cut off BP, worsening kidney and liver function.

Have you had any symptoms? So far I've been told everything is just "normal" pregnancy things: swelling on and off, dizziness and minor difficulty seeing far away, strange upper abdomen ache, occasional small headache. 

How has your blood pressure been? high for me from my pre-preggo 105/55. Last check was 135/85. But midwives still aren't concerned since it's yet to cross the 140/90 line.

What measures have you and your doctor discussed to control bp/pre-e symptoms, if any?  
    None! going to midwives this time around and they said they won't treat it as an issue until it actually arrives - since I was never fully diagnosed with Pre-E with the first induction. Been taking regular Epsom Salt baths-which was the only thing they said "could help" and can't hurt to try. 
  • @kjd291 I should try the epsom salt baths! I take baths every day anyways right now, adding in some of the salt wouldn't hurt. How much do you add for one tub full of water?

@longliveregina I am so grateful I went into labor the day before my induction date. How far along were you when you had to be induced before? I hope they let me go into labor on my own this time around, but my dr seems to be really cautious. Fingers crossed that my bp stays low!!
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited January 2017
    @CanadianintheSouth - Two cups of salts! Yeah, can't hurt! Plus it supposedly aids in reducing water retention, sore muscles, and in digestion--which are also big pros for this far along in pregnancy 
  • I was induced at 34 weeks with my son due to htn/preE. This time around my BP started creeping up around 28-29 weeks and got worse and worse. I've had two hospital admissions for BP monitoring and treatment. I'm now on 100mg Labetalol 2x/day and that has kept it in the normal to mild range. And bedrest....so hard but making a huge difference!

Ive had headaches on and off-usually when my diastolic (the lower number) is over 100. I also have had issues with my amniotic fluid being low, which they think is due to my BP. My labs look great and I've only had trace amounts of protein in my urine.

ill be induced at 37 weeks if I can make it that long. 33 weeks now!!! 

Wishing all all you ladies the best of luck in keeping those babies in and healthy!
  • @Lexxilou1986 good luck to you as well!! I was on bedrest for 2-3 weeks with my first, really hoping that won't happen this time. Are you getting help with your son? It must be hard to when you have another one to take care of. Glad it is helping though, anything to keep these babies safe and cooking as long as possible :smile:
  • I don't have pre-e or pih but have high blood pressure since a few weeks ago. Dr put me on 100 mg labetolol twice a day and it seems to be managing it. I am also having weekly ultrasounds to check fluid and a weekly nst. Last week everything looked great. Next appt tomorrow. Also my c section date has not changed - she said as long as my bp is under control we won't have to deliver early. 
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • @CanadianintheSouth my husband only works 3 or 4 days a week (12- hour shifts), so my mom has been coming and staying to help with my son during those days. The rest of the time my husband is just a rockstar! He has completely taken over the cooking, cleaning, taking care of our 2yo and of course taking care of me! I don't know what I'd do without him and my mom!! It is really hard though...it's like I can't be a good mommy to my son and baby girl at the same time! 
  • @Lexxilou1986 that is so great that your mom isn't nearby and can help when your husband can't. I can't imagine, it must be so hard. Hopefully you get lots of snuggles with your boy while you have to be sitting or lying down. There is a light at the end of the tunnel now, hang in there momma, you are doing your absolute best for both babies right now. 
  • @CanadianintheSouth I was 38 weeks to the day when they got the results from my 24 hour urine test so they just decided baby was better out than in. My induction really went so well, as good as it could have. My cervix was ripened over night with a suppository, and by morning I was 6 cm!!!! (clearly my body was ready to go and I would have gone into labor soon anyway) Midwife broke my waters and that was that. I did need Pitocin, but only during pushing...I really think that after 24 hours of contractions 2 minutes or less apart just made my muscles so tired they coukfnt push him out on their own. (i was definitely grateful for the assist once I felt the difference between my contractions and the Pitocin ones) No pain meds needed. In spite of such a good outcome, I am just so aware of how different it could have been, you know?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited January 2017
    @longliveregina it is great to hear a positive induction story. Just got back from my appointment and my doc just tentatively put me on the schedule for an induction on March 2nd, my bp is creeping up :/ Maybe he will come on his own before then?! My actual due date is March 10th. 

Edited to add - I know what you mean. You hear about inductions that end up needing to be c-sections. Scares me, I would much rather go into labor on my own because I know my body is ready then. 
  • 36 weeks and they mostly call it preexisting hypertension since I haven't had a positive protein in urine since one fluke in November. I have to do the giant jug of pee again because my systolic is stubbornly staying in the 130s and my hands have been swelling/numbing begin.the normal carpal tunnel pain. I'm really praying we will get to 39 weeks and he will come uninduced. Gonna try the Epsom salts too! Oh I was on nifecard and methyldopa. Now just methyldopa. I went down to twice a day but may go back to 3x a day. My poor liver... But I'll drink dandelion root tea to give it a boost and keep thinking positively until my little guy pops out. 

Here's to full term and healthy births with few complications and the minimum interventions needed for all of us <3
  • Can someone explain the Epsom salts thing?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina in a bath,  it's supposed to help reduce swelling 
  • @longliveregina

""magnesium
     sulfate, is a dissolvable granule form of the mineral magnesiummagnesium can be absorbed through the skin when soaking in a bath treated with Epsom salt"". ((Which aids in digestion/constipatjon, reduces inflammation of muscles, helps with water retention, headache relief... ) 

• Are any of you ladies using a home bp monitor? Mine has been giving me high readings so I went to Walgreens today and the pharmacist took it manually and it came back as 132/85 rather than the high 140s/90s I've been getting at home. Also at each of my weekly dr appts my blood pressure is in the normal range. I'm concerned my monitor is incorrect. I called the dr and she said if it goes over 150/100 to go to triage so I can get blood work done. Any thoughts on my home bp monitor? thanks!
    Anniversary

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • @korpisar I use a cuff at home but it correlates pretty close to what they get in the office. Are you using a wrist cuff or an arm cuff?
  • @korpisar I use an at home arm cuff to measure mine, it is either right on or lower than what I get at the office. I know sometimes cuffs can read higher than manual readings, but that seems pretty off!
  • Have you had any symptoms?  None that I've noticed, and wouldn't have even realized there was an issue if it weren't for the readings at the office.  When my blood pressure finally lowered, though, I was getting a slew of them: dizziness, light-headedness, constant nausea, etc.

How has your blood pressure been? High-ish - hovering around the 140/100 range for a while, but the last two weeks of visits, it's been down to 100/70 range.

What measures have you and your doctor discussed to control bp/pre-e symptoms, if any? Initially, she had me taking baby aspirin each day, but that wasn't doing enough, so she prescribed me some blood pressure medication.  Up until a little over a month ago, I was working a full time and a part time job, so not getting much sleep - I've noticed my blood pressure has gotten much better now that I'm down to just the one fulltime job and get a lot more rest.  I've also taken to trying some of the breathing exercises I learned at Lamaze throughout the day whenever I think to do it, and I feel like that's helped an awful lot, too. 

• @Lexxilou1986 and @CanadianintheSouth I'm using an arm cuff. I had DH take his last night to test it and he usually has perfect bp - his was 145/75. I'm going to bring it to my next appt on Tuesday and compare readings. It's been making me crazy and giving me anxiety! 
    Anniversary

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • @korpisar It sounds like your cuff is probably wrong. I'd think about investing in a different one. Mine is from Walgreens (Walgreens brand)  and has worked well for 2 pregnancy now :) 
  • @mmaru that happened to me too in this pregnancy. I ended up with lower blood pressure than I've ever had, and it was making me super dizzy and tired. It's back up now and I haven't had a lower blood pressure spell in a while. 

Glad to hear you are able get some things off your plate so you can relax more. I was put on bed rest at the end of my last pregnancy because when I did work my blood pressure would increase to really high levels.