TTC After a Loss
Options

Vitamins and Supplements

Not sure how many people are participating in TTGP, but wanted to share something I shared with them after looking over the stuff my OB gave me. If you aren't taking Vitamin D, doooo it!! Anything else you guys swear by?

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/vitamin-d-and-pregnancy/
It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility

Re: Vitamins and Supplements

• Options
    Yes to Vitamin D. It's the one thing my RE recommended when I saw her for our RPL work up. I was taking the soft gels, but I have trouble swallowing pills (even tiny ones), so I stopped for a while. I was psyched to find tablets at Walgreens though! I cut them in half to swallow them. Beyond that, my RE discouraged me from taking gummy vitamins (she was concerned about absorption). But again, I'm not really sure what to do. She recommended the Thorne Research Prenatal (because I was concerned about MTHFR - she doesn't believe methylated folate is necessary, but doesn't think it can hurt). But those things taste like licking a metal light pole when I open them up and add them to a smoothie  :/ For now I'm still taking my smarty pants gummies and figure I'll try the Thorne again with a BFP, since I'm an early tester. I asked her about other supplements, but she doesn't really think any else has strong enough evidence to actively encourage (CoQ10 for example). My OB recommends calcium and DHA. Nordic Nautrals has a good reputation for purity (low Mercury content), seeing as how it's fish oil and all.
  • Options
    I take vitamin D drops, methylated folate, magnesium glycinate (for sleep) and a DHA supplement made from seaweed (I'm vegan). My D drops aren't vegan but life is hard enough so I said eff it. My acupuncturist recommended two others (Vitamin E, which I get plenty of in my diet and Ubiquinol), but I'm not sold, so I don't bother.
    Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take rainbow light prenatal vitamins and a Bcomplex for energy.  I had gotten the Bcomplex when I was pregnant in December because coffee tasted so gross to me and I needed energy.  Before that I would take Maca Root on the days I felt I was dragging.  DH likes to take that too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited January 2017
    I just started Macca a couple of days ago along with Vitex and I ovulated yesterday after several fakeouts. I can't say it's that for sure, but I'm happy. I also take B complex and magnesium. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    I took Maca a few cycles after my miscarriage, but it made me ovulate CD 10, which is quite early. I loved how energetic it made me feel, though!
    Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• Options
    I take Vitamin D, a baby aspirin, magnesium, CoQ10 (H does too), extra DHA and recently switched from the Rainbow Lite PNV to Garden of Life (I think?), which has the methylfolate instead of folic acid (and cost like a bajillion dollars more).  I have Vitex but have never taken it - I was just too fearful of it having some terrible effect on me. I was intending to ask the RE about it at our follow-up next week, though (just in case).  I've probably tried a bunch of others over the last year but stopped because they seemed to delay O (B6, evening primrose oil), but considering my likely PCOS diagnosis, I'm guessing now they didn't actually delay O. 
    Me: 35     DH: 37
    BFP: 1.6.16 | MC: 2.17.16
    BFP: 10.3.16 | CP: 10.11.16
    BFP: 12.14.16 | CP: 12.14.16
    BFP:  1.23.17 | EDD 10.6.17 -- DS born 10.7.17 <3
    BFP:  9.9.18 | EDD 5.23.19 -- DD born 5.24.19 <3
    BFP: 9.1.21 | MC 10.1.21
    BFP: 11.11.21 | EDD 7.24.22 

• Options
    jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited January 2017
    Yes to Vitamin D. It's the one thing my RE recommended when I saw her for our RPL work up. I was taking the soft gels, but I have trouble swallowing pills (even tiny ones), so I stopped for a while. I was psyched to find tablets at Walgreens though! I cut them in half to swallow them. Beyond that, my RE discouraged me from taking gummy vitamins (she was concerned about absorption). But again, I'm not really sure what to do. She recommended the Thorne Research Prenatal (because I was concerned about MTHFR - she doesn't believe methylated folate is necessary, but doesn't think it can hurt). But those things taste like licking a metal light pole when I open them up and add them to a smoothie  :/ For now I'm still taking my smarty pants gummies and figure I'll try the Thorne again with a BFP, since I'm an early tester. I asked her about other supplements, but she doesn't really think any else has strong enough evidence to actively encourage (CoQ10 for example). My OB recommends calcium and DHA. Nordic Nautrals has a good reputation for purity (low Mercury content), seeing as how it's fish oil and all.
    I take the Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega-D3, which has the fish oil and Vitamin D, as well as the Rainbow Light Prenatals. I've never had any issues with any of them and have been taking them for years, but both are fairly large pills. 
  • Options
    @reneeannemm - that's why DH takes it - he feels he gets way more accomplished.  I bought it many months ago thinking it would help us get pregnant but we didn't so I stopped it BUT  I still like it for the energy when I need it.
  • Options
    Does anyone else have the same problem as me when it comes to vitamins, I seem to excessively bloat. I stopped taking my prenatal for the time being and within days I dropped 8 pounds. Or maybe it is in my head but DH said I don't look like a "package" anymore... Thanks DH lol
  • Options
    @MimoCa Iron can make people have GI issues if their levels are normal and supplements are added. I take magnesium for stomach issues. 

• Options
    @MimoCa Same thing happens to me.  Ugh
  • Options
    I only take my prenatals.  Might need to add some Vitamin D.  Any particular brand you guys like?
    ***TW***
    Me: 36  DH:35
    Married: 7/10/2016
    TTC#1 - May 2016
    BFP 9/6/2016 - Missed MC 10/20/2016  
    BFP 5/5/2017  - CP
    IVF #1 - June 2017  - Transferred 1 fresh 4 AA embryo.  7/9 Beta #1 - 161 
    <3 Adam <3 Born on 3/18/18

• Options
    @justsuzie urg it is! I'm benched so I decided to give my body a break from them but I will probably start it up again in a month or two :(
  • Options
    Am I wrong for not really taking anything? :/  

I take my prenatal (the garden of life one @laeberge3 mentioned but used to take rainbow light but switched because of the red raspberry leaf that was in the rainbow light ones since apparently it's not great in the TWW or early pregnancy, and I'm paranoid after two losses) even though I'm sure it's fine, but oh well. 

Other than that, I don't take anything...I thought about coq10 but I'm always too cheap when I go to buy anything. Please keep sharing your thoughts so I can keep reading up on things :blush:

Me.30 DH.31 
    Est.8.2006
    BFP 8/28/15 mmc @ 11 weeks (d&c)
    BFP 9/28/16 mmc @ 8 weeks (d&c) - trisomy 5
    BFP 2/3/17...edd 10/13/17 <3

• Options
    @Uhlease13 I don't think you're wrong, unless I am too lol. I started taking 5000iu of vitamin d3 daily a few months before my bfp because I'm vitamin D deficient and I take a daily multi vitamin (I stopped prenatals after the loss, but I'm benched so I might switch back when we start ttc).
  • Options
    I only take prenatal vitamins too.  I've been taking them faithfully for 3 years now.  I used to take an over the counter one but when I got pregnant the first time I switched to a prescription one.  the only difference I found was in the amount of folic acid. 
  • Options
    @Uhlease13 what is your diet like? I'd say only taking a prenatal is totally fine as long as your getting lots of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from food. I take a prenatal, CoQ10 and a probiotic. My problem is I won't take actual pills so everything I take is in gummy form and I've read Your body can struggle with absorption when taking gummies. 
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    BFP 2/4/15, MC twin boys at 18w3d 5/15
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• Options
    @Uhlease13 what is your diet like? I'd say only taking a prenatal is totally fine as long as your getting lots of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from food. I take a prenatal, CoQ10 and a probiotic. My problem is I won't take actual pills so everything I take is in gummy form and I've read Your body can struggle with absorption when taking gummies. 
    I definitely strive to eat a healthy balanced diet, and most days, do. I used to take a probiotic, but the prenatal has some in it as well, so I didn't want to double up so I stopped the probiotic. I'm pretty bad with pills, but the prenatal goes down ok since it's a soft capsule (thank goodness) I will re evaluate later if I think I am needing more nutrients. Thanks ladies 

Me.30 DH.31 
    Est.8.2006
    BFP 8/28/15 mmc @ 11 weeks (d&c)
    BFP 9/28/16 mmc @ 8 weeks (d&c) - trisomy 5
    BFP 2/3/17...edd 10/13/17 <3

• Options
    I'm going to be 34 in about 4 weeks, so I'm concerned about time and egg quality. That's why I'm doing whatever I can. Whether it helps physically, I don't know... but psychologically I feel like it does.  ;)

• Options
    I have to keep my pnv in my cup holder or my car to remind me. I am terrible at remembering. I eat a plant based diet so I think I get most of the things my body needs. My ob has a nutritionist that works for her that will help me get things ready when we get pg again to make sure I'm as healthy as I can be. I've gone to nutritionists before and it's expensive but a big help. You keep a food log for 1-2 weeks and they analyze it and tell you what to do. (This was my experience). I never knew you had to pair different foods together to help your body absorb the nutrients. It's actually quite difficult to eat a very balanced diet! 
  • Options
    @NYTino24 don't be freaked out about your age - you are still young.  I'm 36 and we all have about a 20% chance of conceiving every month.  For me I'd rather live a healthy lifestyle hence the yoga and trying my best to eat well and not worry about my age.  Obviously taking extra supplements doesn't hurt and if it makes you feel better thats great.
  • Options
    @vlagrl29 I also may have APLS, so I don't know if I'll have repeated losses. I had an old VWD clotting disorder diagnosis and the new hematologist questioned it. I went through BW when pregnant and had 6 abnormal results. Still waiting to go to MFM. Two of my sisters had to take baby aspirin during pregnancy, so it's very possible for me. I worry about egg quality because LH seems to be high. I normally have a 3 day surge leading up to O and sometimes 2-3 others earlier in my cycle. I had positive OPKs for 3 weeks the cycle I got KU and either that's poor quality eggs or as my OB said, I may have had a CP in the cycle prior to that. Who knows. All of that combined with age worries me. 

• Options
    @NYTino24 oh I have no idea what all those abbreviations mean but I hope its nothing major.  I understand now your worries.  I've heard of people taking baby aspirin while TTC.  I'm just avoiding taking anything extra until after I get my Progesterone tested in Feb.  I don't want to treat anything that may not need to be treated.
  • Options
    Up until now I've just been doing PNV (gummy, I didn't know they weren't as good!), and Pregnitude. This cycle I'm starting vitamin d, CoQ10, and fish oil. 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @sp128- regarding what brand, someone with a science background was chasing on this topic on ttgp and said you should look for one with a USP certification, since there is little regulation of supplements. I don't remember which thread to direct you to the conversation. 

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Options
    @Tennis11785 I think I brought it up in the Monday WTO thread? I can't remember who responded, but it may have been BusinessWife or adirat?

• Options
    babypibabypi member
    edited January 2017
    I use Rainbow light prenatal, Nordic naturals DHA, vitamin D and an extra folic acid supplement. I had some mild folate-deficient anemia before my D&C, so I have to take the extra folic acid. I've found that the folic acid pills burn my tongue and throat, does anyone have a good way to prevent that? Or a brand they prefer that is coated?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @NYTino24 - I'm mobile bumping so I can't share the link and for some reason the bump is freezing on my work computer, but I just found it.  I believe it's in the Weekly Randoms 1/16 thread somewhere, if anyone wants to read the actual details.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17