March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM week 1/23

2»

Re: Ask a STM week 1/23

• @disneybaby84 I used it as a childcare provider to get a few nannying jobs.  I think its a totally fine way to find candidates - IMO the more important part isn't how to find them (if you're doing it on your own and not using an agency or fam/friends)  it's the interviewing process and questions you ask to make sure you get ppl you like and trust.
  • I used care.com to find a sitter after DD was born - over 3 years later and we're still with the same lady. When DS is born and I go back to work, he'll go there too. Like @kjd291 said- it's about how you interview the candidates. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a potentially silly question - a comment last night in my childbirth class sort of stuck out to me. The instructor was saying how the hospital is terrific about privacy and dignity and no one will be in the room while you're in labor that shouldn't be. (someone in the class was concerned about residents, which I also do not want). But then the instructor said that tbh, the janitor could be mopping the floor in your room and you wouldn't care while you're focused on pushing that baby out! In a way this may be true - but I also keep hearing stories about how people were just 100% naked the whole time and while it may seem silly, this actually concerns me. HOW do you end up not having any clothes on exactly? Does the hospital johnny just get in the way? Or were you in the pool and then came out? Can I keep a nursing or sports bra on at least or will they discourage that? I actually was awake last night thinking of this. 
  • @jenny0228 a lot of women get hot and strip especially during transition. i personally kept the johnny on but it wasn't a conscious decision. i don't think hospitals really care if you want to wear a sports bra or keep your clothes on lol isn't it funny what will keep you up
  • @Gators&BoSox - haha I was laying awake thinking "seriously?" not sure how that one stuck out to me since the other topics covered were important things like pushing.... but pregnancy brain has its odd ways.... 
  • @jenny0228 - it's not like they require you to strip. The women who end up naked (which seems to be a lot of them) do so because that's what feels right to them. If you end up naked, it'll be because you want to be.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• @jenny0228

With both my babies they had me take everything off except my bra and socks, and don a fabulous hospital gown which i stayed in until I felt like getting up to change. I am almost positive you can wear whatever bra/shirt/socks/personal robe/custom hospital gown you want during labor and delivery, you just have to tell them and of course face the risk of it getting messy. Some women just want it all gone because everything is irritating especially clothes, or they feel more comfortable, but you are absolutely not required to be in your birthday suit. Or is anything you wear while giving birth a "birth-day" suit? Haha! 
  • I had a hospital gown on, and a bra.  When she was born I honestly don't remember if I had anything on except my bra.  But soon that came off too to breastfeed.

At one point I was in the shower so of course the gown came off.  I agree with what was said in your childbirth class - I just didn't care.  There were no dress codes - they would have let me wear a scuba suit, a top hat and a tutu if I wanted!  But as labor played out I really didn't want to wear much of anything.
  • @jenny0228 It's so funny how different things keep us up at night. Even if it does seem random. When I first got to the hospital, I immediately wanted to get in the tub, so I just wore a sports bra so I wasn't completely naked. I wasn't to the point where I didn't care so I wanted that extra security. After I got out of the tub I put a gown on. I think if I didn't get the epidural I would've ended up taking it off because I could see myself being super uncomfortable from the pain and just wanting nothing to touch me, so I get how people get naked. This time if I go drug free I'll probably end up with no gown and wearing nothing but a sports bra. 
  • @jenny0228 I was in so much pain once things really got started I stripped my hospital gown off and got in the birth tub naked and got out to push so I had no clothes on. I was super duper convinced despite STMs comments that I would care - but as many have pointed out - I couldn't have cared less!

I still have packed a nursing/sleeping/sports bra type of thing for my hospital bag to wear during labor. And if I have enough time before things get intense I'll put it on. 

My midwife said you can wear whatever you want! As long as you don't care that it might get messy--or if it's something in the way realize  if may need to get ripped off during an emergency. 
  • On the naked point- I really wanted my own gown-  something I felt comfortable in. They asked me to change into theirs because mine would get ruined and I just didn't care. I threw it out after. You definitely don't care about nakedness or modesty towards the end- especially if you've had a long labor all you care about is getting the baby out! I'm a pretty private person too.
  • jenny0228 said:
    I have a potentially silly question - a comment last night in my childbirth class sort of stuck out to me. The instructor was saying how the hospital is terrific about privacy and dignity and no one will be in the room while you're in labor that shouldn't be. (someone in the class was concerned about residents, which I also do not want). But then the instructor said that tbh, the janitor could be mopping the floor in your room and you wouldn't care while you're focused on pushing that baby out! In a way this may be true - but I also keep hearing stories about how people were just 100% naked the whole time and while it may seem silly, this actually concerns me. HOW do you end up not having any clothes on exactly? Does the hospital johnny just get in the way? Or were you in the pool and then came out? Can I keep a nursing or sports bra on at least or will they discourage that? I actually was awake last night thinking of this. 
    Well I was taking a shower and just never got dressed again because I gave zero effs. 

I recommend honestly doing what you feel is comfortable. Some people do stay private while laboring, and that's okay. They make labor gowns you can wear instead of hospital gowns of you hate them. If you like to stay private I think a nursing sleep bra is a great idea so you can pull your gown down to your waist for skin to skin after birth. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Cbeanz said:
    Now, what I don't understand is when I see photos or videos where the dad is also topless/naked!  What in the world compels a man to strip down during labor?  I don't get it!  LOL
    Skin to skin with baby or being in the tub/shower with mom?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • STMs, Late in your third trimester when your doc said if you were looking early or on time for due date, how correct was that?
  • STMs, Late in your third trimester when your doc said if you were looking early or on time for due date, how correct was that?
    no personal experience to share (was induced early) but SO many times I hear moms say their docs said baby would come early because of how they were either dilated, looking big, baby had dropped, lots of BH, loss of mucus plug (or combos of those) and they still went close to 42wks. There is NO way of knowing 
    With my second, I was 4cm at 35w.  My OB said I had 1-2 weeks max, and I went into labor exactly 2 weeks from that date.

I think when you start to dilate more than 3cm, you can say for sure that labor is going to start in the near future.  It's FTMs who are not dilated or less than 1cm that it's tough to predict when it will begin.  That's been my experience anyway.
  • So after learning recently all about the different colors/stages of poop newborns produce - how long does the mustard yellow poop last? Does it continue until they're like toddler age/eating mostly solid food?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So after learning recently all about the different colors/stages of poop newborns produce - how long does the mustard yellow poop last? Does it continue until they're like toddler age/eating mostly solid food?
    I can't speak on formula fed kids, but breastfed babies have yellow/greenish poop while they're exclusively breastfed. Once they start eating solids, it starts to look like "normal" brown poop. Breastfed poops don't stink up the whole house in my opinion, but I still threw those diapers away outside. Once they start eating solids though..all bets are off. 
    By babies continue to have yellow poop until they start solids. (6 months or so) And then it changes in proportion to what they eat. Bf poop doesn't stink imo...it smells kind of sweet. I don't really know if ff babies have yellow grainy poop or if it looks different. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When they first start solids the poop looks like the food! Lol like the carrots would come out virtually unchanged! 

Bf poop is very unoffensive imo. But from about 1 year on, it's human poop.
  • My formula fed kid had a pretty consistent color poop, though it did change a bit if he was getting sick. Then he started solids and we saw just about every color.

And can I just say the poops that come out of my almost 3-year-old are scary sometimes. How can something so small produce such big poops?
    I know! My husband and I always joke about the toddler taking grown man poops. It's like, how in the world did that come out of you?!
  • Baby scale to make sure they eat enough after breast feeding? Nice to have, not needed or totally unnecessary? 
  • i've honestly never heard of this. it might give some peace of mind, but then again if you do see that they are getting food and still freaking out/wanting to eat it might confuse you. I also went through a few awful periods when all DS wanted was boob 24/7. i knew i was dry but he kept insisting, i guess to get me to produce more. so in that case it might be discouraging to keep throwing LO on the scale and seeing that you are in fact tapped out and baby is still crying. personally, i think i'd avoid it but that's just me.
  • jenny0228 said:
    Baby scale to make sure they eat enough after breast feeding? Nice to have, not needed or totally unnecessary? 
    My scale gave me peace of mind early on.  I think it's useful to moms who are new to breastfeeding and struggle with confidence that their baby is getting enough.  Because with breastfeeding, you never SEE the milk go in the baby. I will say that I've had mom friends borrow my scale or even come over to do weighed feedings in my house.  So it might not be for everyone, but some people really like it.  I figure, it's $40, and it kept me sane a handful of times so it was worth it.
  • jenny0228 said:
    Baby scale to make sure they eat enough after breast feeding? Nice to have, not needed or totally unnecessary? 
    It would give me a complex. Not necessary unless baby has some issues. Seriously all you need to do is make sure you get enough wet diapers and go to your regular baby well visits with the pediatrician. Don't stress out about number of ounces, just watch output.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i've honestly never heard of this. it might give some peace of mind, but then again if you do see that they are getting food and still freaking out/wanting to eat it might confuse you. I also went through a few awful periods when all DS wanted was boob 24/7. i knew i was dry but he kept insisting, i guess to get me to produce more. so in that case it might be discouraging to keep throwing LO on the scale and seeing that you are in fact tapped out and baby is still crying. personally, i think i'd avoid it but that's just me.
    Agreed with all of this. Nursing babies go through spurts when they want to nurse All. The. Time. It doesnt mean you don't have enough milk...it could be for comfort or urging your body to make more during a growth spurt. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd say unnecessary. If you're genuinely having issues then you should be seeing a lactation consultant anyway and they do weighed feedings with you. 
  • Cbeanz said:
    Now, what I don't understand is when I see photos or videos where the dad is also topless/naked!  What in the world compels a man to strip down during labor?  I don't get it!  LOL
    I don't know about naked, but before I was scheduled for a c-section I was considering a water birth. In that case, DH could be in the tub with me to support me. If we did that, he would have been in a swim suit, so probably topless. Now that I'm scheduled for a c-section, I've asked him to try skin-to-skin immediately after birth if I can't do it. In that case, he may need to be shirtless. Skin to skin is so beneficial, I want my baby to get it from one of her parents if possible!
  • I read some questions similar to this but not this exactly. I'm measuring at 33 when my doctor did the fundal height measurement today (I'm actually 31 weeks 2 days) ... does that mean he's measuring big or ahead of schedule? Is this any indication he could be here early? I have measured consistently ahead but today was a bigger gap than the past appointments, either way we have a ultrasound and another appointment in 3 weeks (clearly my doctor isn't concerned!). I'm just curious :) thanks for any help! 
  • I read some questions similar to this but not this exactly. I'm measuring at 33 when my doctor did the fundal height measurement today (I'm actually 31 weeks 2 days) ... does that mean he's measuring big or ahead of schedule? Is this any indication he could be here early? I have measured consistently ahead but today was a bigger gap than the past appointments, either way we have a ultrasound and another appointment in 3 weeks (clearly my doctor isn't concerned!). I'm just curious :) thanks for any help! 
    2 weeks either way is still in the normal range. We are going to start varying more--just think about the huge variation in birthweigjts of babies.

I measured large too so I had a growth scan today. Baby is actually right on track, I just have "abundant" amniotic fluid according to the sonographer. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ashley14598

A lot of the fundal height variation is due to fluid variation. It can also be different based on stature of mom. Shorter moms tend to have lower FH measurements late in third trimester. +/-2 is within normal range.
  • How many outfits do I realistically need per size? I
    have lots of newborn hand me downs, although I doubt she will fit in them long, if at all, but not much 3 month. I am wondering if I should pick up more or if i can get by with what I have. I think I have 8 onesies, 8 pjs, and two pants.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @longliveregina @Cbeanz thank you! Good to know all is normal :) 
  • kap1988 said:
    How many outfits do I realistically need per size? I
    have lots of newborn hand me downs, although I doubt she will fit in them long, if at all, but not much 3 month. I am wondering if I should pick up more or if i can get by with what I have. I think I have 8 onesies, 8 pjs, and two pants.
    My son grew out of his newborn clothes in about 3 weeks. He was in 3 month clothes for a while, so I would personally get more clothes, especially onsies. They have so many diaper blow outs with poop up the back at that age that I swear I was doing laundry a couple times a week. You'll also need extra clothes if you plan on sending her to daycare. Also extra clothes for the diaper bag. 
  • Thanks @kiyamurph. Yeah I think you're right. Accounting for blow outs and what not I don't think I've got enough. Oh darn I'll  have to go buy more cute baby clothes!

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker