Baby Names

Thoughts on this nickname?

maddaddammaddaddam member
edited January 2017 in Baby Names
We've been throwing around girl names and love Victoria but hate Tori/Tory and Vicky. I heard someone shorten Victoria to Vika the other day and love that nickname! Google says it's traditionally Russian. Is it too weird for us to use as west coast Americans of mostly British/German descent?

edit to add: Vika is pronounced VEE-ka, with a long i, as opposed to the short i sound in Vicky.

Re: Thoughts on this nickname?

• I think it's a reach.  I instantly think Wica... it doesn't feel like a natural nn for Victoria for me and unless you really pushing it as a nn I don't think.it would catch on.  People will automatically go to vicky or tory on their own.
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• I think it's fine. 

Just remember,  as she grows up she might decide to go by a nickname you dislike. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a friend Victoria and I call her Vicka! Always have. That's funny I thought I had just made it up because I'm not a huge fan of Tori or Vicki (although she does mostly go by Vicki). I love it. I think it sounds strong and kind of spunky.  :)
  • I think it's fine, but I would have pronounced it with a short i, like rhymes with Wicca, since that's the beginning sound of Victoria. I think trying to change the sound for a nn would be kind of confusing.
  • I know a few Victorias and they all go by Vicky. If you hate Vicky or Tory, I would choose a different name as you can't control what she may want to be called or what her friends may call her. Vika seems like a reach but with nn, anything goes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I like the nn Vika, but I would be afraid to use a name that I didn't like the "default" nickname for. I am too nervous that teachers or friends would use the version i didn't like and it would catch on.
  • Vika sounds like Zika. Victoria is a lovely name, why use a nickname at all?
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • My family is Russian and Vika (pronounced the way  you heard it, vee-ka) is the MAIN way that Victoria is nn'ed. True, she may decide on a different nn as she gets older. But, if you like both the full name and nn, I say go for it!