February 2016 Moms
Options

Baby's first birthday cake!

I'm looking for cake ideas.

I have been a long-time fan of Smitten Kitchen's monkey cake: https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/09/monkey-cake/
Probably this is what we'll go with, but I'm worried about sugar. There's a fair amount of sugar in both the cake and the frosting. I might try to leave it out of the cake or at least cut it down significantly, since the frosting is sweetened. I might also make the big cake without a monkey face and focus on decorating just the smaller cake for LO. Because I'm lazy. :)

What do you plan to do? Any interesting recipes or cakes you'd like to share?

Re: Baby's first birthday cake!

• Options
    satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    edited January 2017
    I'm just making a small funfetti smash cake for LO. I'm not doing any other type of cake for guests since I feel like it will be wasted on other guests  (not a lot of them eat cake). I will be making cupcakes instead since it's smaller and I don't mind having leftover of those.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have a friend who owns a cake bakery so she's making a two teared sock monkey cake and a small smash cake for LO.  This will be the one day I don't care about him having sugar. I'm only inviting family and a couple friends. It will be fun, I'm excited!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are having a first birthday photo shoot tomorrow so Zoey will have her first taste of cake and that much sugar ! at her party for family and a few close friends I'll do another small smash cake for photos and we're doing cupcakes . I just felt this would be easier then cutting cake and handing it out. I'm trying to make this party as easy as possible 
  • Options
    I am doing monster theme birthday- mainly just colors though- like green, bright blue and orange. I'm having my MIL make cupcakes and a very small smash cake for LO. 
  • Options
    I love cupcakes and it's probably a good serving size for the LOs. But...I am always surprised by how they actually aren't easier than cake, at least for me. Getting the batter in the pans is more of a pain for cupcakes, and it takes me just as long to frost them as a cake. Not when I'm trying to get a monkey face on there, I'm sure, but I always assume they'll be quick and then they aren't.

• Options
    And @jarob747 I'm really jealous you have a friend who owns a cake bakery. WOW!
  • Options
    @=caenis= lol if it means anything I'm still paying for it :)
  • Options
    Smitten kitchen is my favorite baking site! I'm all over the place on what we're going to do. I was thinking maybe the pink lady cake and turning it into a small smash cake and cupcakes but I go back and forth. Cupcakes are easier to serve but I hate filling the pans, too @=caenis= I'm making it into a much bigger deal than it should be with my indecision. What are people doing for food? I can't decide on that either...
  • Options
    I am planning on going pretty simple for everything. Probably just doing cupcakes with a small smash cake for Caleb. For food I am thinking either Bar-b-ques or pull pork sandwiches, a couple salads, and veggies and dip.

• Options
    I can't decide!!! We were thinking of doing baby Einstein theme ...turns out all the decorative stuff is hard to find and who wants to pay 18$for 4party hats? Then we were thinking monkey theme as well...mostly will be my husbands FAM (my FAM ...at least most of them refuse to cone BC they don't like my husband. 15years and 3kids into marriage ud think they'd compromise to c the kids...ugh
  • Options
    @taitai82 that's terrible, sorry you're family is like that. 
    The sock monkey was pretty easy, not costly and there's a ton of there. Check out Pinterest for some ideas.
  • Options
    @jarob747 i will check on pinterest.I don't know y I didn't think of that! I use to be on there ALL the time !!!
  • Options
    My oldest son wants to do a teddy bear theme, so I will make a teddy bear cake, no separate smash cake though. Owen will get the first slice of cake, and yes it will be lots of sugar for the first time! It's the same thing I did for my oldest sons first birthday, and trust me he smashed his piece of cake for some pretty cute photos.
  • Options
    We are doing Minnie Mouse . Some of the decor can defiantly add up so we're doing solid color things for most of the decor and just splurging for a few minnie specific items . 
  • Options
    I think I'm doing cupcakes too. Easier to store if there are leftovers ... and more likely to get eaten. Plus I agree that it makes a good portion size for LO to eat.

For food, we are just ordering pizza. Maybe some veggies and chips to go with it. It's just family, but I'm keeping it simple. 
  • Options
    We are doing little monster theme- mainly colors- like green, bright blue and orange. I picked up a few monster theme items- party hats, piñata, pin the eye on the monster and a cupcake stand. Mostly everything else is just solid colors, because themed stuff is so expensive!!!