Pregnant after IF
Options

Advice for FET success

Hi everyone,

I've just gotten news today that our 2nd FET has failed. Luckilly, we have two more embryos on ice, ready to go. But I want to make some changes to improve our odds. Our FET protocol remained the same for both, so I feel like we need to change things up a bit.

For our next FET we're definitely putting in 2 embryos- which perhaps is the biggest change. But also considering an endometrial scratch. Maybe additional meds and/or supplements? Additional tests? What changes worked for you all?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks, guys.

Me: 32, Hubs: 36
Married: September 2013
TTC since April 2014, Dx: MFI
DH started Clomid Oct 2015
April-June 2016- 3 IUIs: All BFN
July 2016- IVF #1: 16 eggs ->1 PGS-normal embryo
Sept 2016- single FET #1: BFN
Nov 2016- IVF #2 16 eggs -> 3 PGS-normal embryos
Jan 2017- single FET #2: BFN
Feb 2017- endometrial scratch
March 2017- FET #3 (double transfer): BFP!
   Beta #1: 386 (9dp5dt), Beta #2: 1,960 (12dp5dt)
   Pregnant with: Triplets Twins Singleton
   It's a GIRL! :)
   EDD: November 16, 2017
   Dx w/ preeclampsia: Updated delivery date: 10/4/17
<3 Hazel Summerlyn <3
Find me on the IG

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Advice for FET success

• Options
    @LeFemmeViolette i am sorry this one didn't work for you.  I say its really just luck of the draw.  we didn't change anything with my protocols.  The only thing different between the last cycle and previous cycles was that I put in 2 embryos.  everything else was more superstitious type stuff, like my fun socks the day of transfer which I hadn't done before.

fx this next one will be the one for you
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So sorry @LeFemmeViolette.
     I had an endometrial scratch before my first FET (failed) but not before my second  (bfp). Our re office recommended baby dancing the night before transfer and the first fet we somehow missed that instruction but the second time we made sure to do it and success! Also, the first time around I was so stressed out and trying to eat perfectly and do everything right that I feel like my stress  contributed to not being ready. The second time,  I chilled  out, ate whatever I wanted to and we got our bfp....hoping for success with your next transfer!
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear your news :(
    Your doc may already use it, but apparently there's an embryo "glue" they can use. I had two days of modified bed rest (can get up but limit stairs and movement) after my FET, which my RE required. Also, I had pineapple and avocado (not together) everyday for the first five days. Not sure how true it is that they help, but it can't hurt.  

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had 1 failed, 1 semi successful and 1 successful transfer. For the fully successful one I decided to make a playlist that I started listening to when I got comfy on the table and had a specific song I listened to during the transfer and ones for after. I used the same meds, but I responded way better the final time. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing it was from the semi successful transfer and D&C. I also had more time in between semi successful and fully successful than in between all the other transfers.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    I started taking royal jelly capsules. I did when taking out the eggs as it apparently helps the quality, and thought it wouldn't harm taking them with the second FET. 
    My best friends wife asked what I did different as she was trying with hormones to get pregnant and used it for the cycle after and her baby boy is 4 weeks younger than Pia. I like to think it works.

I stopped taking them as soon as I found out it was a positive as one shouldn't take those if you are allergic to bees or your partner is.
    As I'm pregnant with a donor I don't know if he is, so didn't want to risk it.

I was also more relaxed the second time. Mainly because the clinic hadn't booked me wrong the second time, which helped me relax.
    And when feeling stressed I saw my acupuncturist, she got me de-stressed in no time!
    Planned lots of fun stuff that made me happy, from walks to being a vegetable on the sofa and watching my favourite movie with snacks. 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I am so sorry this cycle didn't work out, @LeFemmeViolette. I remember the exact feeling you have - wanting to change something up to improve your chances. I am hoping that this next cycle will be the one for you.

One thing I did differently for my successful FET was to choose a protocol that was shorter. I'm not sure if this is an option for you or not, but my RE would use either long lupron or antagon for suppression during a FET cycle. Long lupron was - well - long. Almost a month of daily injections before anything would happen. With antagon, you just have a few injections leading up to your usual O-tme to suppress. My RE let me choose antagon b/c I thought that fewer injections (and hence fewer daily reminders of the stress and anxiety of IF) would keep me calmer and less stressed. I even had a glass of wine here and there during the first couple of weeks of my cycle, which I wouldn't have normally done if I'd been on Lupron at the time. I really think that this choice helped me a lot during that last cycle. Something to think about if you have this sort of choice.

Wishing you the best of luck with your next cycle!
    *** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    1 medicated TI cycle & 4 clomid IUIs = all BFNs
    June 2013 IVF #1 = 6 frosties + BFP!
    DS1 born 2/14

TTC #2 since December 2014
    May 2015 unassisted BFP ended in m/c at 7wks
    April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    August 2016 FET #3 = BFP!
    DS2 born 4/17
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about this @LeFemmeViolette. I know how hard it is. My situation is a weird one, but I did have my first PGS transfer fail. After that I took 2 months off to do ERA biopsies- I had also heard the scratch could be helpful and my RE thought the biopsy would be a "2 birds, 1 stone" type approach. I had confusing ERA results (pre and then post) but we were going to go with it when I unexpectedly got pregnant naturally the month after the biopsies. I am convinced they had something to do with it, because I had never ever seen 2 lines before, even with 4 big juicy follicles. 

Best of luck to you. Sending you lots of good vibes. 
    ***TW***
    DH & I both 34.
    8/16: IVF, antagonist protocol 
    21 eggs | 9 blasts | 7 normal through PGS
    10/16: FET  = BFN  :(
    12/16: Surprise natural BFP 
    Beta 1: 177 | Beta 2: 483 | Beta 3: 8,755 | Beta 4: 39,007. Baby born 9/5/2017

NOW on sibling journey. 
    2/20: FET = BFN :(
    4/20: Surprise COVID BFP

• Options
    yelllow22yelllow22 member
    edited January 2017
    @LeFemmeViolette After my first FET failed under what seemed like perfect conditions I really wanted to know if there was something that needed to be done differently. I had a phone consultation with an RE friends with my family who lives abroad and he recommended to ask mine about the ERA. 
    The ERA basically tries to find the perfect timing for the transfer because a big reason for implantation failure is not doing the transfer at the optimal time. You do a mock cycle with your regular meds and the day they were planning on doing the transfer all they do is take a biopsy of your uterine lining which will tell them if the uterus was receptive or if it was too early or too late, then the next real cycle the transfer date is chosen according to the results obtained.
    When I talked to my RE about it he said he would definitely do it if the second transfer didn't work.
    I truly wish you the best! 
    37 y.o 
    TTC since October 2014
    DX: Unexplained fertility 
    3 Failed IUI's 2015
    1st IVF cycle March 2016 , planned ICSI, PGS, FET
    ER 3/31/16 30 retrieved, 26 fertilized normally
    Sent 8 embryos for PGS: 5 normal (3 AA, 1BA, 1BC)
    FET 5/11/16 (1 embryo)
    Beta 5/23/16 BFN  :(
    2nd FET 6/12/16 (1 5AA embryo)
    ++++TW++++
    Beta 6/22/16 : BFP!!!  169 
    Beta #2 6/24/16: 412
    DD born 3/2/17
  • Options
    @yelllow22 @omarismyhomeboy @BlueEyedDreamer @tvh1982 @AandDM2014 @dragonfaerie @2legbaby
    @rmarble23

Thank you all for your input. After our first failed FET I did mention the ERA test to my RE but she kind of dismissed it. I think I'll try to push for it this time. It took a few days, but I think I'm finally in a good headspace that I've accepted the results (period has started so there's def no denying) and am ready to start planning our next move.

Thank you again!!

Me: 32, Hubs: 36
    Married: September 2013
    TTC since April 2014, Dx: MFI
    DH started Clomid Oct 2015
    April-June 2016- 3 IUIs: All BFN
    July 2016- IVF #1: 16 eggs ->1 PGS-normal embryo
    Sept 2016- single FET #1: BFN
    Nov 2016- IVF #2 16 eggs -> 3 PGS-normal embryos
    Jan 2017- single FET #2: BFN
    Feb 2017- endometrial scratch
    March 2017- FET #3 (double transfer): BFP!
       Beta #1: 386 (9dp5dt), Beta #2: 1,960 (12dp5dt)
       Pregnant with: Triplets Twins Singleton
       It's a GIRL! :)
       EDD: November 16, 2017
       Dx w/ preeclampsia: Updated delivery date: 10/4/17
    <3 Hazel Summerlyn <3
    Find me on the IG

BabyFruit Ticker