June 2017 Moms
Options

Any women marching 1/21?

I keep going back and forth if I want to go into DC next weekend or go to my first prenatal swim class. Is anyone else planning to do a local march or a trip to DC? I'm just outside of DC in Arlington, so it would be local for me to go to the big one.

The reasons I'm hesitant to go is because I often have crowd social anxiety, and I'm worried about the amount of time I will be on my feet. I don't know if I have the stamina or the snack skills to go out to an event like that. 
Married 8/12
MC 4/15
BFP 10/10/16

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Any women marching 1/21?

• Options
    I REALLY hope you can go! Perhaps you can check out the route ahead of time to determine quick exit routes in case you get tired and need to rest or be picked up. Our local one is only 1 mile long which would equal 20-25 minutes going at a pretty slow pace.

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know what PP is talking about:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/womens-march-on-washington-official-tickets-29428287801

They have local ones all over the country, just Google search "Womens march January 21st [your major metropolitan area]," and you should find local info on Eventbrite. I thought about going to a local one here in the San Francisco Bay Area, but DS's play date friend is having her 2nd birthday party at 11am (our march starts at 10am about 30 minutes away). These marches are going to be AMAZING!

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    I'm debating going to the one in Boston next weekend, but I haven't decided yet.  Part of me wants to go, but I don't know if I can handle the crowd.  Boston is predicted to be the 2nd largest one in the country.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Would love to join a big march! A big thank you and lots of love to those who go. I would do it in a heartbeat if there was one nearby. I did some in college and they were always inspiring. I get way more jostled and claustrophobic at concerts than marches. 
  • Options
    I think a lot of the women from my Women's studies class(from a few years ago) are going to the local March here in Texas. I would love to be a part of it, but I'm in the same boat as far as not knowing how I'll feel and being nervous about the big crowd. 

Like PP said, a huge thank you to all the ladies who will be taking part in this all across the country. 
  • Options
    How would you plan on getting there?  We married to the mall a few years ago for the Stewart/Colbert rally and the line at West Falls Church just to buy metro tickets went around the block.  (Use your smarttrip). The trains were full by Dunn Lorring; we had to wait for 3 trains to come before we were able to force ourselves aboard and we got intimate with everyone on the train.  

If you have crowd anxiety you might want to consider driving even though traffic is going to suck. How is your stamina for walking right now? 

I think it's a great cause and you should go if you are motivated, but also cut yourself some slack to skip if you aren't feeling up to it that day.  If you do go, make sure you pack plenty of food and water; there will be food trucks apleanty but the lines will be long.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    There's a rally in Grand Rapids, MI that day in support of the women marching in Washington.  I'm thinking I'll take the boys and use it as an educational opportunity for my 4 year old son.  Obviously he won't understand a lot of it, but I think it's good for him to experience.

• Options
    I'm going to the March in Denver with some friends. We probably won't be there for very long. But it'll be amazing to be there. I'm typically not one for events like this. By the time we park, walk to the March, do the march, and get back to the car, it is a lot of walking. But I feel passionately enough about this that I feel it's worth doing.
  • Options
    I have many friends going to the one in DC. They have rented a bus to get there. I am not comfortable going to the one in DC as I get major crowd anxiety especially while pregnant. I am probably going to the CT one bc I can take the train, it will only be a few hours, and the march is one mile. I just feel more comfortable in a smaller setting. 
  • Options
    @Xath I would probably bus to Pentagon and ride in from there. I know some roads are going to be closed so I'm not going to try with driving.

I've gotten used to 15 minute walks, but I've been feeling very wishy-washy on the weather. I've started to get very nervous about my internal temperature warming up too quickly and then having too much clothing. I had an overheating episode on the bus two weeks ago. I'm not shy to decide to sit on the ground for a while, but I'd rather not have to do that. What I'd really like is to bring a camp chair and sit on the side lines for a while, but I have a suspicion that crowd control wouldn't like that too much.

I learned that Arlington is also having a gathering at Courthouse, so that might be a more palatable option. I know I have choices!
    Married 8/12
    MC 4/15
    BFP 10/10/16

• Options
    I might go to the one in Albany. I really want to, but the logistics have me nervous.
  • Options
    I'll be going to the one in Chicago that day! If it were going to be below freezing like normal, I wouldn't go. But, I hear it might be in the upper 40s. I hope all you lovely women can make the one nearest you! 
  • Options
    I'll be marching in Oakland on 1/21!  @MrsCaliRN - the San Francisco March is later in the day, rally at 3pm and march at 5pm, fyi!
    Me: 34, FTM, DH: 34
    BFP: 9/30/16, EDD: 6/9/17
  • Options
    slssls member
    Good for you guys. Sending all the support. I've had to go off social media because of all the negativity, and some days it just feels like the hate is winning down there in my home country. Best of luck.
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrow all. Today has been a difficult day. I hope all of your events are uplifting and that you are able to connect with the community surrounding you. Stay safe!
    Married 8/12
    MC 4/15
    BFP 10/10/16

• Options
    Yes, huge thank you to all those marching! I'd love to attend, but we have another obligation. 

I did find this site helpful and was very surprised to find a march in my hometown. Type in you zip code and it gives you marches near you. 

https://www.womensmarch.com/ 
  • Options
    I've been watching the live feeds all day. So inspiring!
  • Options
    I went to a little gathering outside a metro in Arlington, VA to cheer marchers on today. It was really uplifting. People from all generations were there handing out snacks a water to a crowded metro stop. The policed ended up having to block people from entering because the platform had gotten too crowded based on over filled cars, but we had a cheerful time above ground wishing people well. 

At one point, a woman just started shouting, "Thank you for being here! This is the America I came here for!" I was very emotional for me to just see the masses of people going in and supporting the walkers. I wish I could have stayed longer to chat and cheer, but my first prenatal swim class called me away!
    Married 8/12
    MC 4/15
    BFP 10/10/16

• Options
    It was more than Trump for me. I am tired of seeing the hatred that has come out of the election and wanted unify around something. The march to me signified a way to have hope and join in my community action off my own couch. That is the biggest reason I went.

I am certainly disappointed with his talk about women, feel he is excessively condescending and I don't feel that women who are strong and powerful, and threatening to him, should have their names torn down in public by calling them names or dismissing their opinions. The internet culture - not just Trump - of threatening women is a huge problem, and that is another reason I wanted to stand with others. It felt like a very safe place to be and to feel the mass of people who support respect and dignity for all.

I don't think Trump will stand for parental leave changes in this country, and I am afraid what healthcare will look like. I don't think I personally will ever have a problem with receiving care from a doctor of my choice, but when it comes to families who have limited options, I fear for them. I also personally don't think he has "done anything to me," but the threat is there that he will dismiss (and possibly mock) the needs of others if they are not part of his definition of majority.
    Married 8/12
    MC 4/15
    BFP 10/10/16

• Options
    @Elyse1384 I didn't end up going today, but, to me, the culture Trump has emboldened both through his campaign and in the last couple months since the election are worth standing against in and of themselves. The other thing he HAS dune already is appoint a lot of people to very powerful positions who are unqualified at best and horribly bigoted and hateful at worst. That's also worth opposing publicly in my opinion.
  • Options
    Elyse1384Elyse1384 member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks @ellie111227 and @lizerspitz for your perspectives.  I hope everyone who attends a march finds them therapeutic for whatever his/her personal reason for attending.  Just praying no small group riots spin off as sometimes happen with peaceful protests or a march.

That said... The Boston event still better steer clear of this pregnant lady as she marches to her reservations.  I just wanna eat!!!!!

edit: spelling
  • Options
    swanbroonerswanbrooner member
    edited January 2017
    I do feel like if he goes forth with certain agendas he mentioned in his campaign, then women's rights are at stake (defunding Planned Parenthood, trying to overturn Roe v. Wade, attacking the women's benefits of ACA).

For most women that I know marching, it's all of that combined with the frustration that someone so openly misogynistic and creepy towards women is accepted by a large portion of the American public. 
  • Options
    This is my perspective: I really don't believe in assembly ever. It's not something I see as being proactive in a cause. If it helps people feel better or feel they are doing something, please carry on.

But I do have to ask why just Trump? I get he has said things about women, but women's inequality probem did not start with him. Why haven't we been marching against every administration that has done little to nothing to help these matters? Obama (and every president before him) had 8 years before this to change the pay gap, to change maternity leave, etc. and yet does nothing. These problems didn't start with this campaign and should be dealt with every administration and action should have been taking place way before this. 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    This is my perspective: I really don't believe in assembly ever. It's not something I see as being proactive in a cause. If it helps people feel better or feel they are doing something, please carry on.

But I do have to ask why just Trump? I get he has said things about women, but women's inequality probem did not start with him. Why haven't we been marching against every administration that has done little to nothing to help these matters? Obama (and every president before him) had 8 years before this to change the pay gap, to change maternity leave, etc. and yet does nothing. These problems didn't start with this campaign and should be dealt with every administration and action should have been taking place way before this. 
    You're right that we've had hard times before, but if people have the energy to stand now, I'm going to stand with them. There needs to be momentum for this kind of gathering of people, and I am proud today to have been a small part of it.
    Married 8/12
    MC 4/15
    BFP 10/10/16

• Options
    mrtmrt member
    @Stankonia2014 I have a weird internet stranger woman crush on you.
  • Options
    LMMamaLMMama member
    edited January 2017
    Wino0920 said:

The problems didn't start with Trump and they won't end with him, that said, he has started a dangerous precedent (not the right word I'm looking for, but it escapes me) that allow people to feel comfortable to be hateful and racist and xenophobic and homophobic and misogynistic. Lest we not forget we've been here before, we've marched for equality, it's pretty fucking scary that in 2017 we have to do it again or that we live in fear those liberties will be stripped from us again.

Let's also be honest, Obama made many strides for women, minorities, LGBT, etc.
     Right. Obama was openly supportive and moved towards positive change for equal rights for women, minorities, the LGBT community, an awareness for climate change, a focus on improving public education etc. Trump has made it clear with his own words and cabinet selections that he does not care for ANY of those things. I'm so proud to see so many people come out today.
    I think it's less about opposing/trying to rid of Trump and more about bringing awareness to the fact that every move he has made so far is threatening to the above people/issues. 
  • Options
    @Stankonia2014 I agree with strides towards LGBT, but can't agree with women and minorities.

I feel he did mare minimum and kept saying for 8years that the pay gap was wrong, yet put no legislation forward to end it. He did put one forward that extended a statues of limitation on fighting pay gap, which failed. 

I guess it depends on how you look at ACA to say if that was an advancement for women. It gave coverage to some 8 million women but you are penalized if you don't sign up and the premium isn't always affordable. A whole new health care plan and nothing for maternity leave? 

As for immigration, he kicked out 2 million or so illegal immigrants, yet Trump is a ahole for it.

@Mtnmommy
    You shouldn't have to be afraid to express your views. I respect them and anyone who doesn't has a major tolerance problem. 

Discussions is important so both sides can hear and maybe understand the other point of view. 
  • Options
    michaela0704michaela0704 member
    edited January 2017
    @Elyse1384 I have a very similar sentiment to what you described above... one of my best friends marched today in her city, and my other best friend well... I guarantee you she did not and is probably at home bitching about those that did... 

I think Trump is extremely outspoken and considered offensive to many people but he has been in office for a day and planning to march, protest, rally, etc. before he even took office for issues he didn't start, although doesn't appear to be helping, I guess I don't get it... I have always been supportive of women's rights and human rights in general but like @Wino0920 I'm just not a fan of assembly, I don't see it as an effective measure and my experience in my city is that it always turns violent or with people arrested after they try/succeed at blocking the interstate.  No change is made to their cause...

Not knocking anyone that did feel moved to participate, I'm just not one of those people... regardless of political affiliation.

Edit: autocorrect is the devil
  • Options
    @Wino0920, I don't think I can agree that Obama did nothing to bridge the pay gap, he signed the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act in 2009. He also enacted policies regarding discrimination.

As far as immigration, I can't say I know much about it, but a quick google check tells me you're correct; Obama has deported 2.5 million. My issue with Trump is not his deportation policy, as much as it is his blanket statements regarding Muslims and the hate that he incites. His claim that we're going to force Mexico to build this wall. That's just not going to happen. Is illegal immigration an issue? Sure, but come up with a legit solution. 

I'm all in favor of the ACA, I have two children who have had seizure disorders, therefore precluding them from coverage, so the ACA was a life saver for my family.  It's one of those things that seems like it's not beneficial and just expensive until it actually saves you.

As far as maternity leave, I'm with you. I promise you though, it's not a priority of Trump's either.
  • Options
    @Stankonia2014 The Ledbetter act failed (not Obamas fault) but it was about cases against unfair pay, it just extended statute limitations.

I might be naive but I do believe it's Ivanka's agenda and she will get stuff for women done. But only time will tell that. 

My whole point was I believe a March is exactly that, a day you March for a cause, and tomorrow you go back to your normal life and nothing changes. I just don't get assemblies at all for any reason. I feel there are many more effective ways to accomplish these goals. 

I also don't agree with not liking Trump cause he creates hate, then turn around call him orange and call him names, and say he made me do it? Lets be grown ups and take responsibility for our own actions. If you think calling names is wrong, it's wrong no matter who you do it to. 

My child also was born with a condition that had to be corrected with surgery and will continue to threaten his life and threaten more surgeries. But making people sign up for coverage they can't afford isn't going to fix that problem. It actually has nothing to do with it. 

• Options
    @Wino0920, I guess my point was that it wasn't for a lack of trying on Obama's part re: fair pay, discrimination, etc.

I agree that we shouldn't be 'do as I say, not as I do' re: hate, name-calling, etc.  

I just personally think the man is giving lip service to America, I'm hoping so in some regards. 

I hope Ivanka can be the voice of reason here and with him. 

The marches are what they are, if they are done without violence, then I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm hoping that these people aren't just marching and that's where their activism stops, I'm hoping they volunteer, donate, march, inspire, etc. 
  • Options
    I am praying that Trump is a liberal hiding under a bad toupee. It gives me comfort that he has said DACA and gay marriage won't be affected, but all of his actions have me shaking my head every. single. day. Our new government and the crowd at the inauguration does not represent America. Yesterday's press conference? My tax dollars are crying. And I feel like I've got some tax dollar credits because I went to private school most of my life and have never been unemployed. Lol 

I think the march was a good move. Why? Because 2016 has confirmed that you just can't reason with those that have opposite views. I don't know how many times I've shaken my head at the "what about black on black crime crowd" because they just don't get it. I reference this crowd because 9 times out of 10 they are the ones in my life supporting Trump. And, as a minority woman, I will use my "I can talk about my mama but you can't" card and say that for me, it's especially saddening when it's a minority person subscribing to some of the beliefs that counter mine on these issues of human rights. So, the march was a good way to say "you may not agree, but we are here in numbers, and you will have no choice but to listen to us and work with us." 
  • Options
    I am praying that Trump is a liberal hiding under a bad toupee. It gives me comfort that he has said DACA and gay marriage won't be affected, but all of his actions have me shaking my head every. single. day. Our new government and the crowd at the inauguration does not represent America. Yesterday's press conference? My tax dollars are crying. And I feel like I've got some tax dollar credits because I went to private school most of my life and have never been unemployed. Lol 

I think the march was a good move. Why? Because 2016 has confirmed that you just can't reason with those that have opposite views. I don't know how many times I've shaken my head at the "what about black on black crime crowd" because they just don't get it. I reference this crowd because 9 times out of 10 they are the ones in my life supporting Trump. And, as a minority woman, I will use my "I can talk about my mama but you can't" card and say that for me, it's especially saddening when it's a minority person subscribing to some of the beliefs that counter mine on these issues of human rights. So, the march was a good way to say "you may not agree, but we are here in numbers, and you will have no choice but to listen to us and work with us." 
    What about the Pro life feminist group that was disinvited because of their opinions? They were co sponsors and taken off because they were pro life. How is that working with disagreements?

otherwise, I agree with most of what you said. I voted for Trump but also was glad he said gay marriage wouldn't be affected and in no way shape or form dislike or think less of people not like me. I do know the "black on black crime" people do exist and I'm not blind to it.