July 2017 Moms
Options

Pain control during labor

2»

Re: Pain control during labor

• Options
    I am super sensitive to drugs. A half of unisom knocks me out for 12hours. I hate nitrous oxide and have never taken pain medication for wisdom teeth or the 4 others pulled for overcrowding/braces or the 3 other kiddos. I hate the way it makes me feel. I love epidurals but that's what works for me. 
    @MommaBean nih has a treasure trove of published articles/studies on this.
  • Options
    How did you find out what the hospital offers? I know I have lots of your ?s like about NICU billing (there's a big scandal here where a nicu billed someone like 750k bc they billed separate than the hospital and it was outpatient), security its important to me, and then someone raised asking if they can fulfill the breast pump onsite. Oh and what are their rules about number of people in the room/ doulas? I don't think I was one but I might and if I do and its hard to do there, that'd be good to know.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Katie______ hospital tour- find out what the hospital offers, security, breast pump onsite, number of people in room/doulas- most of these things they just tell you on the tour and it sounds like it would be beneficial for you to be able to ask in person- also my nurse knew a lot of this
    call your hospitals financial department- I was told they would be able to give me an exact amount for a normal vaginal birth which also included what my insurance would pay. 

Also my hospital billed me wrong and it took like a year but eventually it got straighten out. I was almost sent to collections during this time but I called and they held my account while I was dealing with insurance so that I wouldn't get sent. They kept their promise to keep my account on hold but definitely pay attention to that in case they don't. I've always talked to really friendly helpful people in both my past hospital financial department and my current hospitals financial department. 
  • Options
    Katie______Katie______ member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks @morgarita
    We had an issue with our down's syndrome lab test---the lab they had used which they say is just this 1 test is out of network---ugh and insurance never sent anything to them so they never sent a bill, it's like a circle.
    Thanks for the advice on billing!!!    

How did you find out the pain things too---are those on the tour?

*edit- one more ?-- did they know the cost after insurance of a vag birth? wow!