July 2017 Moms
Options

Scared and feel stupid... I fell

There's a lot of ice right now where I live. I fell this morning. I landed mostly on my hand and butt. I fell fine (my hand is sore, that's it). I have a prenatal appointment this afternoon, so I'll definitely mention it to her. I can't help but feel scared... Has anyone fallen? Just looking for some reassurance. I'm 14 weeks btw.

Thank you, 

Re: Scared and feel stupid... I fell

• Options
    My cousin fell flat on her butt during pregnancy - everything was just fine! I want to say she was probably around second trimester, but I can't remember for sure. Baby is cushioned so well in there. 
    I think you're absolutely fine, but call your dr if you have cramping/bleeding. 
  • Options
    I fell on my side and had an 80 pound dog jump on my stomach with my previous two. The babies are very well insulated plus hey are crazy flexible and squishy especially this early, definitely mention it to your doctor but I wouldn't worry. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much! It really helps :)
  • Options
    SpongeWorthySpongeWorthy member
    edited January 2017
    My OB said that you would have to try really hard to hurt the baby during a fall.  They are so small and so well protected at this stage in particular, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Definitely mention it to your doctor, but it's probably nothing.

Edited: misspelling
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Options
    I fell 39 or 40 weeks pregnant but I fell forward and landed on my hands and knees and scrapped up my knees. If it was me I wouldn't worry and it would also make me feel better that I had an appointment today. I have read that with falls there is also a worry that your placenta can rip away from the uterine wall but honestly I would think that would be more a fall down the stairs. But I believe I read that its not an immediate loss and you would notice signs. 
  • Options
    I did fall down a flight of stairs (on my butt) last pregnancy.  Everything was fine but as everyone else said, and as you are already intending, tell your doctor.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I fell on ice when I was 33weeks or so- I fell HARD, very bruised and sore. Spilled my bag and all its contents, so I set the bag on the ground (snow) and filled it back up. Then I put my bag on my drivers seat, started the car, and went to unplug my car and sweep the snow off. So when I got in the car to drive, after sitting for a minute my butt was very wet, and I was panicked that my water broke. And started driving towards the hospital for a check..... but then I realized it was just melted snow from the bottom of my bag.  All was fine.

People fall all the time on ice, pregnancy just makes us more clumsy. Hope my story makes you feel better, hope you aren't too sore.
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You guys are really awesome! It's nice to have found such a nice community :)
  • Options
    My friend was in a horrible, rollover car accident when she was about 15/16 weeks with my godson. Of course they checked him out when she was at the hospital, but her doc said that he was so well cushioned at that stage that they were more worried about the impact of her stress hormones (esp because she refused pain meds) than injury from the actual accident. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry you fell and I baby is so little, he/she probably didn't even notice! Or thought, ' Mom, what are you doing out there? I'm trying to nap!' 
  • Options
    Don't feel stupid, I threw a roll of toilet paper up to my husband in the bathroom and forgot I was two steps up, and stepped right back down onto the floor. I probably jostled the hell out of the baby, but if anyone did something stupid today it was me. I didn't actually fall thankfully, just stepped hard. Still gonna ask my doctor about it too. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    A coworker tripped and fell square onto her giant belly when she was 8+ months pregnant. It was awful and a huge scare, but everything was totally fine. She carried to full term, and her son had zero issues.

My mother fell of a horse when she was in her third trimester with my brother. (WTF, Mom?!) She went to her OB sobbing, and the doctor kind of laughed and reassured her. Again, everything turned out just fine.

Don't feel stupid! It happens, and at least you weren't on a freaking horse! ;)
  • Options
    At 28 weeks pregnant I tripped and fell smack on my belly, didn't even brace myself with my hands (tripped over our dog), outside on hard concrete. Baby and I were fine, scared shitless, but fine. 
    Glad you're going to the dr to get checked on!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    edited January 2017
    A coworker tripped and fell square onto her giant belly when she was 8+ months pregnant. It was awful and a huge scare, but everything was totally fine. She carried to full term, and her son had zero issues.

My mother fell of a horse when she was in her third trimester with my brother. (WTF, Mom?!) She went to her OB sobbing, and the doctor kind of laughed and reassured her. Again, everything turned out just fine.

Don't feel stupid! It happens, and at least you weren't on a freaking horse! ;)
    I am an advanced rider and trainer, who the F rides a horse while pregnant? I don't care how much you trust the animal, or how good of a rider you think you are, they are flight/prey animals. Why would you take that risk?

Edited because I missed words
  • Options
    While I agree with you, @CarsonsMommy, I also believe there is a point up to which it is safe. I know that, at least in the first trimester, it is generally not advised against, per se. My trainer when I was about seven was pregnant and stopped riding when she was about five months along, which may even be pushing it for some women. But typically, the uterus hasn't even risen above the pelvic cavity before 12 weeks, so it is typically safe until then, at least. Now 3rd trimester?? No f-ing way. Just from a practical standpoint, how would you even mount up?? Haha.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry you fell. I know it's scary as it's a big fear of mine. Prayers your appointment went god and all is wel. 
  • Options
    I'm a little late, but I wanted to send more reassurance. As a nurse who frequently floats to the ER, we see this ALL THE TIME. It's good you planned to mention it to your doc but just know that the baby is well protected right now! Don't be embarrassed... As you can see, lots of people here have been through it too! 
  • Options
    Hope we and your doctor were able to reassure you that you and your baby are just fine. The baby is well protected right now although I understand the fear. The other day I started slipping on some ice and began freaking out about falling. It's natural to worry about something like that but you're fine mama.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Late to this thread but hope your appointment went well!