September 2017 Moms
Options

Makeup Changes?

Hi all! I had a panicked thought earlier today wondering if I should be changing my makeup (currently use Mary Kay and Bare Essentials, as well as Neutrogena face wash). I then drove myself crazy researching everything we should and shouldn't be using.. does anyone do any makeup or lotion shifts when pregnant (or plan to)? All insight appreciated!!

Re: Makeup Changes?

• Options
    I am pretty natural most of the time anyways but I definitely step up my game when I am pregnant.  The only lotion I use is coconut oil and I use ewg rated shampoo and conditioners that are rated a 1-2.  I also use a natural soap from a local company.  I do not wear makeup or perfume, color my hair or get my nails done while pregnant.  All of my cleaning products are essential oil based mixed with vinegar or baking soda.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I keep my makeup but I stay away from benzoil peroxide, salacylic acid and retinols while pregnant. Shockingly a lot of shampoos have the acid in it so I switch to a more natural shampoo.

i discovered Beauty Counter during my last pregnancy...cool skin care line (and makeup) that is pregnancy safe. They rigorously gonover the ingredients in their products and list what they do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

**TW**
    Losses:
     #1: 8wks MMC 4/16
    #2: 13+4 T21 + Hydrops 3/17
  • Options
    @amandarene112 I keep coloring too...I just don't let it sit on my scalp and I try to go to salons at unpopular times so as not to inhale a sh*t ton of fumes lol

**TW**
    Losses:
  • Options
    @Texafornian Thankfully my lady's salon is pretty small, and I usually go in the middle of the day when I'm the only on there anyway. Glad I'm not the only one who plans to keep up their color!

• Options
    I keep my makeup but I stay away from benzoil peroxide, salacylic acid and retinols while pregnant. Shockingly a lot of shampoos have the acid in it so I switch to a more natural shampoo.

i discovered Beauty Counter during my last pregnancy...cool skin care line (and makeup) that is pregnancy safe. They rigorously gonover the ingredients in their products and list what they do.

This.  I changed my moisturizer because I remember reading that I shouldn't use while pregnant.  Otherwise, I use Bare Essentials (and did so with first pregnancy) and will continue to use that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. Not changing a thing. 
  • Options
    Nope. I'm going to continue to color my hair too. 
    Me: 26 ; FI: 27
    DS1: 5 ; DS2: 4m
    Baby #3 Due 9/7/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just swapping out my face wash for one without salicylic acid. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @amandarene112 and @Texafornian I also will continue to color my hair. I read in what to expect...that it is generally considered safe. I am 34 years old, but my hair is going on 65, lol! I have sooooo much gray hair that I wont be able to stand it much longer!

I also never thought about my makeup. There are so many things to worry about that I never gave a second thought to my entire life!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• Options
    I like to think I'm kind of crunchy myself.. but coconut oil clogs the hell out of my face. Even the tiniest bit made my ENTIRE face break out. My acne doesn't respond to ANYTHING. If I quit washing my face with medicated face wash I'll look like I hopped in a time machine and went on back to eighth grade. No thanks. I'll look for the best option for my face while pregnant but I can't go completely crunchy on this one. 
  • Options
    I haven't really thought about changing my makeup routine. Most products I use anyway are by Tarte cosmetics and I "think" their products are natural. I would use them either way just because I like the product. I did however stop using Murad as my cleansing routine per my dermatologists request. I was fine with it while we were TTC but my dermatologist was very adamant about not using salicylic acid while pregnant. I am using Cerava or Cetaphil now and neither one is doing jack squat to help with breakouts. 
  • Options
    @stephy_p I think makeup won't kill ya...it's the skincare creams etc that you need to watch out for with salacylic and retinol etc. Facials too...make sure not to do peels etc

**TW**
    Losses:
  • Options
    @daniellelynette same with me! A good friend of mine swears by coconut oil but it makes me greasy and completely break out. No thanks. 
  • Options
    @stephy_p I think makeup won't kill ya...it's the skincare creams etc that you need to watch out for with salacylic and retinol etc. Facials too...make sure not to do peels etc
    I agree-- I was using Mary Kay and actually really liking the face cream-- I need to check out use of fragrances and such but I'm not too worried about my other stuff. 
  • Options
    @Eahayes I always forget which fragrances/oils are bad too. 

**TW**
    Losses:
  • Options
    I panicked a little earlier thinking of all the beautiful make up on my vanity, haha... I may have a bit of a problem. 

But, from what I've been reading it's skin care, hair dye, and nail treatments.. which I don't really use. I'll check my facial cleanser, but I use Soap and Glory, which I don't think has any type of acid or anything in it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not changing anything. The amount of chemicals absorbed is so minuscule. It'd be different if we were actually ingesting the stuff. 

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • Options
    I moved towards berts bees products because they are 99% natural. You still have to watch out for the salicylic acid in some of their face washes but most of their products are good to go. I also switched to their bb cream instead of foundation. It's really moisturizing and has spf!

I will say it's probably not necessary to change anything, but I'm the type of person where if anything goes wrong I'm gonna blame myself. So I want to eliminate as many things as I can ahead of time just to potentially save myself a little heartache if something were to happen.
    Me: 26 DH:25
    Married:August 2015
    TTC #1 since April 2016
  • Options
    The amount of salicylic acid in OTC products that is absorbed into the bloodstream is minuscule. My ob is aware I use it and didn't say I couldn't. If you google it, more often you will see it's safe vs unsafe. 
    *August 17 lurker*
  • Options
    I did change out my make-up months ago, but that was to avoid parabens that are in a lot of make-ups and can supposedly interfere with fertility (hey when you deal with infertility for two years, you get paranoid and will try just about anything to get KU lol). I use the Honest Beauty line of make-up, which is kind of pricey, but I really like. I think most make-up is pretty safe in oregnancy though and I probably wouldn't have changed it if not for our fertility issues. I also use skincare products that are free of parabens, salicylic acid, and benzoyl peroxide. I like the Belli brand stuff, and Burt's Bees.
    January Siggy Challenge: Winter where you live

Image result for i saw a snowflake memeImage result for sorry folks tennessee is closedImage result for winter is coming wait no its not meme

10/2014 - Started TTC #1
    8/2015-Clomid with TI - BFN
    9/2015 - Clomid with IUI #1 - BFN
    10/2015 - Clomid with IUI #2 - BFN
    11/2015 - Clomid with IUI #3 - BFN
    1/2016 - Gonal-F with IUI #1 - BFN
    7/2016 - Laparoscopic surgery - stage 1 endo removed
    9/2016 - Gonal-F with IUI #2 - BFN
    10/2016 - Gonal-F with IUI #3 -BFN. Diagnosed with elevated anti-sperm antibodies.
    12/12/16 - Egg retrieval w/ICSI - 4 5-day embryos (2 grade A, 2 grade B.)
    12/17/16 - Fresh transfer of one embryo; 12/27 beta = 141; 12/29 beta= 285. EDD 9/4/17 - MC 1/26/17

• Options
    I just change my face wash to Cetaphil to get rid of all the chemicals and acid that was in my previous one.

Coconut Oil gals - how do you use it as moisturizer?  Do you melt it first?  How much do you use? 
    Sable
    Married to David 3/22/14
    <3o:) Mommy to my angel Ella Lynne born into heaven 8/24/15 o:)<3
    Started TTC again October 2016
    BFP on 1/6/17!
  • Options
    I changed makeup because my face got suddenly so oily my previous makeup (Mac) literally melted off my face. It was awful! This pregnancy I am using Limelight by Alcone, because it is professional brand makeup used on celebrities, but it also happens to be 100 % organic.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    I use everything charcoal (teeth, face scrub) , tea tree (face)  and henna/indigo (hair dye). I have no plans to switch. Food and drink are the only things I plan on doing differently.

Canadian Bumpie - Texas bound
    DS #1 [S-5]
    3 Step Daughters [A-8] [E-6] [I-4]
    Baby #2 09/10/2017 
    It's a BOY! 
    Babywearer&EBF
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I don't remember this topic ever coming up with my first (again, 2012, $h*t changes fast). I don't recall my midwife bringing it up, and I don't remember talking about it at all on my BMB. Crazy. 

Anyway, I don't use anything on my face or hair or body that would be considered toxic. I'm pretty conscious of chemicals and animal testing without being pregnant, I can't focus on it while pregnant!
  • Options
    Didn't change anything, besides stop using pimple cream. 
  • Options
    Not changing a thing. Everything I use is over the counter and topical. I will continue to dye my hair as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good to hear! I realized today one of my hair products has talc in it and had a minor freak out.. I think I will be calmer after I have my first appt. and hear the "do/do nots", but all your thoughts and opinions were helpful!!