Infertility
Options

Flu/colds of both partners before/during IVF cycle

liljoy-2liljoy-2 member
edited January 2017 in Infertility
Hi, I was wondering what your experiences and thoughts were regarding this. I had a 7 day flu (with fever) that went away about a week before the IVF. Now, after 1 day of meds, I got another nasty cold/virus/bacteria with low grade fever, headaches, muscle aches. DH is in bed with 102 fever :( I messaged my doctor and will see what he recommends, but I am really scared now. I don't want to interrupt the cycle but I also don't want to mess it up. Ugh. I don't seem to get a break on this journey. 

Re: Flu/colds of both partners before/during IVF cycle

• Options
    @bestofjoy ahhhh that sucks! You really probably just need to do whatever the doctor recommends but honestly I don't think that this should affect ur eggs- if anything I would've thought they'd be concerned abt the anesthesia. And your DH must still be able to produce something if he normally is ok in that arena. Just my thoughts.
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • Options
    @bestofjoy try not to worry! I had a slight cold right before my ER and they weren't too concerned. The only thing they cared about what my temperature not getting too high. Hopefully you hear back from your doctor soon!
    **TW**
    Me: 31, DH:33
    TTC since October 2015: MFI
    Summer 2016: 3 IUI's: BFN
    October 2016: Switched RE's and began IVF cycle 
    December 2016: Retrieved 13 eggs, 12 mature, 9 fertilized with ICSI. 5 day ET of 2 blasts with 4 frosites left. BFP!!!! EDD: 8/30/2017 
    August 25, 2017: It's a Girl!!
    April 12, 2019: FET, BFP!!! Baby BOY EDD: 12/29/2019
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks. They said it should be ok. I hope so..
  • Options
    good luck @bestofjoy, I hope you and your husband feel better quickly
    TTC #1 since Aug 2015 (unexplained infertility)
    10/16-12/16 -3 IUI, all BFN
    2/17 IVF #1 froze 5 five day blasts
    5/17 FET#1 BFN  
    6/17 FET #2 BFP :)  EDD 2/27/18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @bestofjoy dealing with the same.... so far we are scheduled to er tomorrow... I'm still concerned about dh's sperm but nothing we can do but go forward and hope for the best
  • Options
    @dragonette505 Good luck tomorrow!
    We are feeling better but this morning DH (not so darling) was angry at me for not stopping this cycle. I know he means well and wants the best outcome, but he hurt me so much saying that if the baby will have issues it's going to be my fault. Now I have grave concerns that he might be right, I don't want to have this over my head...Ugh, all these hormones and side effects I'm dealing with, for nothing? I don't think I am emotionally strong enough to just walk away now...
  • Options
    dragonette505dragonette505 member
    edited January 2017
    @bestofjoy Once you get this far into the stims it's hard to tap out. I basically said the same to my husband because ivf cycles can make you crazy... at this point just go with it and see what happens. That's what we are saying at this point. I'm terrified my husbands sperm sample will be horrible and we won't get any fertilized embies.... what can we do. I want these eggs out and so forward we go. 
    Min still sniffling now, he's still coughing... fingers crossed the eggs and sperms are hardier than we think they are
    when do you go in for retrieval?
  • Options
    The thing is, I'm not so far in as you, I've only been on meds for 4 days, so I'm not even half way probably.

I think he's also concerned about his sperm quality and wanted to do regular fertilization instead of ICSI (on the grounds that if there are issues with the sperm or egg, better not to force it)...I also want to think that our bodies are resilient and that in the whole history of humankind so many people had babies when having colds or flu or other graver illnesses. I'm swirling all these options and decisions in my head, it's overwhelming. It seems I'm overthinking it.
  • Options
    @bestofjoy 4 days of stims is still significant. We are doing icsi as well... as long as you are doing blast transfers, icsi shouldn't make much of a quality issue. The way it kinda works is, icsi is great when eggs (like my older eggs) are a little more resistant in their shells. Sperm doesn't have to work through the shell to get through. But if the sperm is not great, usually the embryos will stop developing. After day 3 the sperm kind of determine if you go to blast... if there is a missing protein in the sperm (like if it has issues) that embryo will not make it to day 5. 
    So icsi doesn't really hurt your chances that much.
  • Options
    @bestofjoy 4 days of stims is still significant. We are doing icsi as well... as long as you are doing blast transfers, icsi shouldn't make much of a quality issue. The way it kinda works is, icsi is great when eggs (like my older eggs) are a little more resistant in their shells. Sperm doesn't have to work through the shell to get through. But if the sperm is not great, usually the embryos will stop developing. After day 3 the sperm kind of determine if you go to blast... if there is a missing protein in the sperm (like if it has issues) that embryo will not make it to day 5. 
    So icsi doesn't really hurt your chances that much.
  • Options
    liljoy-2liljoy-2 member
    edited January 2017
    @dragonette505
    That's interesting to know about ICSI and day 3-5!
  • Options
    @bestofjoy Yup! Obviously there's several reasons embryos arrest, but if sperm is sub optimal, the embies often arrest after day 3