Congrats to All Expecting! Questions about Trying for baby after having an IUD — The Bump
September 2015 Moms

Congrats to All Expecting! Questions about Trying for baby after having an IUD

Hello ladies! I haven't been on here in a while! 

Congratulations to everyone expecting again!! So exciting! Also congrats to those who have had their next little ones already!

My hubby and I have decided to start trying for our second baby this summer. Yay! 

I currently have an IUD in and the wait time to see an OBGYN to get it taken out is at least 2 months :(

I have a few questions regarding the IUD coming out and pregnancy after. 

Does the IUD hurt coming out? Because it thoroughly sucked going in! The pain was terrible but luckily only lasted a few minutes.

How long is it that you have to wait for the effects of the IUD to wear off and when could we start trying for baby number 2?

Any help would be great! Thanks everyone!

Re: Congrats to All Expecting! Questions about Trying for baby after having an IUD

  • I've never had an IUD, but I will tell you my friend just had her IUD taken out in April and in June they were pregnant with #1 (and she has used an IUD as birth control for years), so apparently it can happen pretty quickly after. However, that all depends on your body and how quickly your cycles regulate after! I stopped the birth control pill 9 months before trying for #1 just so I could make sure my cycles got back to normal and I could start temping/charting before we started trying.

    Not sure about the pain, but hey, if you've gone through labor, you can do anything, right?!
    BabyBugutsky
  • edited January 2017
    I was on an IUD and had it removed in November. We started trying immediately (aren't KU yet but it's only been a few months). Some ladies take months for their cycle to get back to normal, some ladies are KU within a month or two so it's hard to say how it will be for you.

    The removal is decidedly better than the insert. It was like having your basic pap smear - so super annoying and uncomfortable, but not really painful.

    Best of luck you to!


    Edited because I don't know my months. Thanks for nothing elementary school.

    **TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

    "I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
    BabyBugutsky
  • Loading the player...
  • jen83mn said:
    I've never had an IUD, but I will tell you my friend just had her IUD taken out in April and in June they were pregnant with #1 (and she has used an IUD as birth control for years), so apparently it can happen pretty quickly after. However, that all depends on your body and how quickly your cycles regulate after! I stopped the birth control pill 9 months before trying for #1 just so I could make sure my cycles got back to normal and I could start temping/charting before we started trying.

    Not sure about the pain, but hey, if you've gone through labor, you can do anything, right?!
    I'm hoping to have it out sooner so if it does take longer to get back to normal then we can start trying in the same timing. 

    Haha yes I suppose that's true. 

    Thank you for the advice!
    jen83mn
  • Lizlann said:
    I was on an IUD and had it removed in November. We started trying immediately (aren't KU yet but it's only been a few months). Some ladies take months for their cycle to get back to normal, some ladies are KU within a month or two so it's hard to say how it will be for you.

    The removal is decidedly better than the insert. It was like having your basic pap smear - so super annoying and uncomfortable, but not really painful.

    Best of luck you to!


    Edited because I don't know my months. Thanks for nothing elementary school.
    Glad to hear there isn't a lot of pain taking the thing out! Because it really did suck going in.

    I'm really hoping to get it out sooner to give my body sometime to get back on track. Then we can still try around the same time frame. I'd love a spring baby. 

    Thank you! I'm excited we are trying so soon. We debated for a while and then decided close to three years apart (DS will be 2 Sept 2017) is a perfect time frame.

    Thank you for answering my post!
  • I'm on my third IUD. There was definitely a pinch/cramp when they removed mine, but it wasn't as bad as when they put them in. I always take like 800mg of Motrin ahead of time though. When we were TTC with LO I had mine removed on 12/18, had my period, and had a BFP on 1/15. I definitely thought it would take longer than that, but it sure didn't
    BabyBugutsky
  • Coming out doesn't hurt anywhere near as bad as when it goes in. As fas as trying to conceive, If you have mirena (hormonal) it might take a little longer than if you had paragard (non-hormonal.) Either way shouldn't take more than a couple months. Hell, I got pregnant with my IUD still in.
    good luck!!!
    BabyBugutsky
  • Thanks ladies! Glad it's not going to hurt as much coming out as going in! Will be making my appointment within the next two weeks to get it taken out. Hoping for being pregnant by August! 
  • FWIW I got KU during cycle 3 after having mine removed. Due Sept. 30 (same day as our first was due!)
    Best of luck to you!

    **TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

    "I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
    dmbfan46835BabyBugutsky
  • BabyBugutskyBabyBugutsky member
    edited February 2017
    Lizlann said:
    FWIW I got KU during cycle 3 after having mine removed. Due Sept. 30 (same day as our first was due!)
    Best of luck to you!
    Congrats!! So exciting for you! I'm not sure if we will still try. My sister got engaged and the wedding is Jan 2018. Some family members aren't pleased I want to be pregnant for her wedding because I'm her maid of honour. I told them to shove it basically as my sister doesn't mind at all. But we will see.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards