June 2016 Moms

Formula question

edited January 2017 in June 2016 Moms
I don't know that it matters specifically but we use Enfamil Gentlease.  DH was a huge help last night washing bottles and making formula and making bottles for today. However, this morning when I went to pack Levi's bottles for daycare, I noticed that he had made another pitcher of formula as well. Which means, after his last bottle tonight I will still have enough formula left for 2 to 3 bottles. I know you are not technically supposed to use made up formula after 24 hours, but would it really hurt to use it for the first couple bottles tomorrow morning?

Re: Formula question

• I don't know that it matters specifically but we use Enfamil Gentlease.  DH was a huge help last night washing bottles and making formula and making bottles for today. However, this morning when I went to pack Levi's bottles for daycare, I noticed that he had made another pitcher of formula as well. Which means, after his last bottle tonight I will still have enough formula left for 2 to 3 bottles. I know you are not technically supposed to use made up formula after 24 hours, but would it really hurt to use it for the first couple bottles tomorrow morning?

I think if the pitcher is still in the fridge, I would use it for at least 1 bottle. I'm bad about not strictly adhering to the formula directions sometimes tho. For instance, if I heat up a bottle during the night but Damien falls asleep before I get to the nursery, I will use it up to 3hrs later (past the 2hr window of use once it is heated). Never had an issue and he's as healthy as can be. I don't do it often though so it isn't a norm. I know the reason for not using refrigerated unused formula after 24hrs is the risk of bacteria growth, same for using heated unused formula beyond the 2hr window. You're rolling the dice in that sense but I know of many moms that do it. I wouldn't make it a habit.
  • It's definitely not something that has ever happened before. I know he was just trying to help but he just wasn't thinking it through when he did it. I'm not a big risk taker, but formula isn't cheap either so I'm just looking to see what you all would do in the same situation.
  • Loading the player...
  • I doubt that your baby would get sick, but to be honest I would proabably dump it rather than having it sit in the fridge over two whole nights. I'm kind of a stickler for following formula rules with my kids. Most of my friends who use it are much more relaxed about the guidelines. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited January 2017
    I will keep using it as long as it has been refrigerated for up to a day or two. Since it has been in a pitcher and not a germy drank out of bottle with bacteria I think it should be fine. None of my kids has been sick off of formula before so I don't worry too much about it.

I should add my kid takes his bottles room temp so they aren't heated then cooled.
  • Yea, this is freshly mixed in a clean pitcher that has only ever had formula mixed and poured from it, and went straight to the top shelf of the fridge.  
  • @StayingFocused I have some enfamil coupons I can send to you. My friend's son is no longer drinking formula. We use similac but they don't like sending me coupons anymore. Boo on them! Just pm your address if you'd like them.
  • Along the same lines I buy the generic enfamil at SAMs target and Walmart. I think they all carry a generic gentlease. Generic formula has saved me a crapton of money, nothing like twins on formula lol!
  • Tawny87 said:
    Along the same lines I buy the generic enfamil at SAMs target and Walmart. I think they all carry a generic gentlease. Generic formula has saved me a crapton of money, nothing like twins on formula lol!
    That was the best thing ever, finding out your LO tolerates store brand formula! I'm an avid Target shopper and we took a chance on Up & UP Soy formula and we saw no change. Actually, with Enfamil Prosobee, he would get rashes on his cheeks. He's never had it with Up & Up.
    Target also has deals that save you even more. For example, three cans of formula equals a $10 gift card. We stocked up on like 9 cans since December and we're now down to 7 cans. I think that should carry him to next year.
  • Tawny87 said:
    Along the same lines I buy the generic enfamil at SAMs target and Walmart. I think they all carry a generic gentlease. Generic formula has saved me a crapton of money, nothing like twins on formula lol!
    If you have Aldi near you they have an equivalent too, and it's around $13. Best deal I've found. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tawny87 said:
    If you have Aldi near you they have an equivalent too, and it's around $13. Best deal I've found. 
    I wish we did! I here they are awesome, I think I'm too far west : (.