July 2017 Moms
Options

Share your "bland" recipes please!

Hey ladies!  Now that I'm in 2nd trimester, my OB thinks my night sickness may be linked to heartburn/indigestion.  She said I could try Zantac or Tums, but I'd rather correct without medicine if I can. Unfortunately, most of the things I know how to cook are spicy or acidic (think pasta, stuffed peppers, salsa chicken, chili) Does anyone have some more bland but still nutritious recipes they can share? I'm so sick of chicken soup and saltines! Thanks!

Re: Share your "bland" recipes please!

• Options
    I love Tortellini Soup! Link posted below. This can be altered many different ways! I cut up a beef sausage ring and add to it as well as a can of white beans for more sustenance. Add as many or as few spices as you want. Not sure how you do with garlic as that can cause indigestion. Totally fine to leave out and it's still good! Serve with crusty bread!

https://www.annies-eats.com/2011/02/15/tortellini-soup/

• Options
    morgaritamorgarita member
    edited January 2017
    We eat bland a lot since I get heartburn easy even not pregnant. Recently we've had baked salmon, fettuccine alfredo, cheesy ranch spinach pasta, meatloaf, grilled chicken-(bruschetta chicken if you could handle a couple cherry tomatoes), pizza with white sauce, salmon patties, beef burgundy 

oh I forgot to add creamy potato soup, broccoli cheddar soup or chicken noodle soup
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I make these falafels all the time and they taste great!  I usually either put them in pita pockets with cucumbers, spinach, and hummus.  Sometimes I put them on top of salads and that is also delicious  :)

https://www.justataste.com/homemade-falafel-with-tahini-sauce/
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Options
    TwinkiedollTwinkiedoll member
    edited January 2017
    I hope your indigestion eases up soon. Chinese people make a lot of jook when we have to eat bland or soft food. It's quintessential comfort food in my culture.

It's basically rice cooked with a lot of water so it comes out like a porridge consistency. There are a lot of different variations based on what you like to eat.  I usually start with making the jook with chicken broth as a base and add chicken and other things I have on hand.   Soy sauce and ground white pepper are often used to flavor. I also love adding Chinese pickled vegetables as a condiment at the end. 

Here is a ginger chicken version:

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/ginger-chicken-jook-rice-porridge-29184

Chicken and corn version:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/grond-pork-corn-congee-recipe-dim-sum-chinese.html

Thai pork jook (I would suggest the chicken broth base instead of bouillon cubes)
    https://heatherchristo.com/2016/04/05/thai-pork-and-rice-porridge-jok-moo/

• Options
    @Twinkiedoll I never knew that when I messed up the rice and made it super wet, I was actually making something. I ate the rice like that for a couple days when I was still in the throws of morning sickness.
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    I like lentil soup!!! Super easy in the crockpot, and it has a lot of protein. I also second the falaffels! I'm making them tonight. 
  • Options
    @kerils it would not surprise me if that's how jook was first "invented."

my mon made all different kinds for me when I was sick/nauseous or when I had braces and couldn't chew anything. I still make jook when I'm sick or just homesick. 
  • Options
    I've been struggling with heartburn for years. For me, my biggest trigger is tomatoes (in any form) so I cut those out, which was difficult for awhile. A go-to meal for me is a simple stir fry - cut up some veggies and cook in a pan with small pieces of meat or tofu. A favorite combo for me is mushrooms, green beans and tofu. Usually I mix with hoisin sauce but you could do teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce... DH will add some chili paste to his portion for a little more flavor. I still eat pasta but with olive oil and parmesan instead of tomato sauce (DH still has tomato sauce). If we're ordering pizza, most places have a white pizza of some sort. 

Also, eating smaller meals and not eating within a couple hours of bed can help. 

I respect your decision to try dietary changes rather than meds, but I've found that sometimes I just need a Tums. It's a calcium supplement as well as an antacid so my OB said I could take them as needed, and the calcium would be good for me and baby. But you have to do what you're comfortable with. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for the awesome suggestions! I'm feeling more optimistic already :)
  • Options
    I too respect the dietary changes vs meds. In my 7-9 month span with dd, I tried everything- completely cut tomato, chewing gum after eating for 20-30 minutes, bland food, sleeping sitting up, sleeping on my left side, nada. I got to the point where a glass of water gave me heartburn. So I became good friends with tums. They really did help and the quality of life I got back was great. I wished I had gone to them sooner. 

Good luck!