August 2017 Moms
Options

Student moms?

Well my pregnancy is an amazing surprise.  
I am however still trying to get my degree and this upcoming semester, i will be going to school with a big belly. Hahah.
Anyone else handling books and bump?

Re: Student moms?

• Options
    I am going back to school part time this spring also! I am only taking 2 classes + 1 online. I'm thinking I won't be taking all books at once like I have in the past. I may not even take them since I'm not sure I'll need them during class, only for homework. I will also be working full time and all I keep thinking is "maybe I won't get THAT big over the next ~20 weeks". Ha! We'll see what happens. Classes don't start until the end of January for me so I still have time to figure it out. 
  • Options
    This is the second pregnancy I'll be going to school through. I still have a year and a half until I graduate. I'm taking six courses both semesters this year so that I don't have to take as many next year. Some will likely be online so that I don't have to be on campus all the time. I'm gonna try to work it out that any class I do have to be on campus for, SO can be home with the newborn.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @caitlyn5454 are you still doing your fall '17 semester with 6 classes and having your baby in August? The thought of 3 classes (12 credits) is making me nervous.
  • Options
    I start back next week! I'm hoping to get as much done as possible before this baby comes. I'll be full time in school (12 credit hours) and working 32 hours a week this semester. Full time in the summer is 6 credits, but I'm going to see if my school will let me treat the summer semester like a regular semester and take 12 credits this summer too. I'm due the week the fall semester starts so we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping to be able to at least go part time in the fall.

I was a senior at my college in Florida, but when we moved to Nebraska a lot of my credits didn't transfer. I feel like I'm starting over!

What are you ladies majoring in? :smile:

Goodluck to all of us! Being in school and having a baby won't be easy, but worth it in the end! 
  • Options
    @caitlyn5454 are you still doing your fall '17 semester with 6 classes and having your baby in August? The thought of 3 classes (12 credits) is making me nervous.
    Nah, Fall '17 will be like 3 or 4 courses. I'll probably have one that actually relates to my major and the others will be just filling credits so that I don't have to attend actual class on a regular basis. Normal course load on my campus is only 5 classes per semester, so I overloaded this year specifically so that I can take it easy next year. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow that's great. I am glad to know im not alone. 
    I am taking a class over the winter mini. And i will be 100%honest  it has not been easy with the nausea, short memory, constant thirst and pee needs :s
    I am taking 3 classes this fa'17 bc thats what i am allowed before jumping in classes that are actually over my major. 
    I am gonna try to take 4 classes per semester my advisor only suggested 3 bc the classes are demanding but i need to finish as soon as possible. I am not working anymore so that should make it easy.

I will need a babysitter for 2 times a week. Which is scary a little. I worked at a daycare and i seen way too much. So my baby will not join those until they start talking.
  • Options
    @babyoakes I am going back to school for nursing. Taking my requisites to get into the accelerated program since I have a prior bachelors. The crazy thing is I just graduated in May with a degree in engineering but i didn't do it for myself (I didn't think my parents would be happy me switching majors) so I don't particularly like my job. With the prerequisites I'm taking 3 classes this semester and in the fall. And 2 next spring when I will hopefully find out if I'm in the program. No classes this summer because I have to work full time still so I'm taking classes that are over my lunch or online this semester. 
  • Options
    I am in pharmacy school and working part time while managing a baby belly
  • Options
    I'm in school for my MSN right now. However, somehow the stars aligned and I wasn't able to get into the class I needed this semester, so I'm off until the end of march. Since I feel like ass, this worked out pretty well 
  • Options
    @mrsashworth522 nursing school is terrible.  See what options are available if you need to stop and restart ether during the pregnancy or after you have your baby.  Some schools are super strict.  Plus there's going to be the physical components associated with your clinical rotations.  YOh don't want to be expected to lift a patient with a big old belly.  Becoming a nurse is incredible. It's the best decision I have ever made.  I did it as a second degree as well. But it was so hard. The content, the speed, the testing, the labs and clinicals. I wouldn't want to start while pregnant, but I wouldn't begrudge you for doing it. It will totally be worth it. Just find out what options you ahve going in to it.  Good luck!!!
  • Options
    @Cryssteen I am just taking the pre-requisites through next spring. Having a completely unrelated first major means I have to get the basics out of the, on my own time thankfully. If all goes well, I'll be applying for the accelerated program in the fall and will know the decision in the Spring '18 to start classes then. Luckily, LO will be ~9 mos when I (hopefully) start the actual program. 
  • Options
     I admire you all. 
  • Options
    Ladies, since our babies will be horn right when the fall semester start, do yall know how that school semester will be for you? Or you havent thought that far? My due date is the 27, i think thats the day classes begin for me. I hate the idea of having to go back right the way, one bc i dont want to leave the baby so soon, even if it is only twice a week. Two, we will be bleeding so much "intensified periods"... someone told me it could last 6 weeks. 

• Options
    Not this time around but my 7yr old son was born August 24th 2009. School started August 31st, and I had only been home from the hospital for 3 days. School being pregnant - snap, I took extra credits (18 total) even and I did fine. School with a newborn... I started with 15 credits and dropped to 12. One of the classes had somewhat unreasonable outside expectations (was expected to volunteer with the Deaf/Hard of Hearing community school 2 hours away at least 4-5 hours a week with an intro ASL class). I dropped that class and made it through the semester. You can do it! It is not easy, but worth it in the long run. 
  • Options

andressab said:
    Wow that's great. I am glad to know im not alone. 
    I am taking a class over the winter mini. And i will be 100%honest  it has not been easy with the nausea, short memory, constant thirst and pee needs :s
    I am taking 3 classes this fa'17 bc thats what i am allowed before jumping in classes that are actually over my major. 
    I am gonna try to take 4 classes per semester my advisor only suggested 3 bc the classes are demanding but i need to finish as soon as possible. I am not working anymore so that should make it easy.

I will need a babysitter for 2 times a week. Which is scary a little. I worked at a daycare and i seen way too much. So my baby will not join those until they start talking.
     O_O what have you seen!?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    andressab said:
    Ladies, since our babies will be horn right when the fall semester start, do yall know how that school semester will be for you? Or you havent thought that far? My due date is the 27, i think thats the day classes begin for me. I hate the idea of having to go back right the way, one bc i dont want to leave the baby so soon, even if it is only twice a week. Two, we will be bleeding so much "intensified periods"... someone told me it could last 6 weeks. 

I'm trying to figure that out...I'm fit the week school starts so I don't know what to do
  • Options
    I'm waiting to apply to the nursing program so I can start in the spring of 2018. There is no way I'll take classes in the fall. I finished up the last of my prereqs last semester, so all I need to worry about is getting my body to form the antibodies to hep B and pass the TEAS.
  • Options
    @pbandjyummies
    Well teachers would choose their favorite ones and that one was the one that got their attention. Normally the children of moms that spoiled the teachers. The kids that moms complained or asked for things to be done a certain way with their child, would be the last ones to everything.  Sometimes even ignored.

Next room to mine, was the nursery with babies under 9 months old, i remember having to go to that room to care for a baby that had been crying for 5mims or more bc the teacher was too busy "milking" another child.  

Also the student to teacher ratio. Sometimes i had 5 toddlers all by myself for a period of 5 hours. Try to change a diaper and watch over 4 other toddles. They need constant attention it is not like taking care of 4 simblings or your own kids. 
    As they grow the ration increases some classrooms, i think 4 year olds. The ratio was 8 to one teacher. 
    Some teachers just lose it. The lady i replaced had left a baby on a high chair for 5 hrs because she just couldnt handle anymore. She was wrong but like i said it is hard to have 5 babies on your own. Not justifying her action. 

What reallt did it for me, was how many calls a week i had to make to parents bc my lead teacher wanted to leave, so she would call parents and tell them the baby had a fever. When your child has a fever, you need to go pick them up right the way. Sometimes you might not get there right the way and they straight up bitch at the parent. 

I know someday i will need to have my child in a daycare but i will do everything possible to wait until they can communicate.
  • Options
    I start school again Tuesday. I'm working on my MBA and I'm halfway. I took classes through my last pregnancy too, DS was due Aug 31 but came Sep 2. I didn't take classes that fall semester but started again in the spring. (I also work full time so I can't handle more than 1 grad class a semester.) At this rate I have 1.5 years left but I'm considering taking a class this fall even with the new baby since I want to finish asap and I feel like as a STM I'm more prepared.

Post partum period is no joke though, mine lasted six weeks but I know for others it is a lot less. 

Good luck to everyone! I find school really hard during early pregnancy because I sleep so much. Hoping it's easier this time :)
  • Options
    I wasn't planning on getting pregnant especially since i had got accepted into the nursing program. So i will definitely be asking advice from other moms on time management lol. So far it isn't too bad i guess because im so early, but we shall see.
  • Options
    Hang in there. I am not in school now, but have done it twice while being pregnant and just wanted to offer support.when I went back for my BSN, it was an intense 14 month bridge from a previous bachelor's degree. They pretty much stressed missing was not an option. It was all day every day with long clinical hours. The pregnancy was unplanned and I already had two little ones at home, but dropping the program wasn't an option because it was so hard to get in to. So I powered ahead. Got a few extra clinical days in when we had 12 hours days because it left open an extra day to go in and, fortunately, I had no complications with delivery. I was back in a week with a freezer full of milk and pumping every two hours. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, but it did work. Not boasting, it was tough, just trying to say it is possible and worth it. I was pregnant with our 5th while getting my MSN and had to keep working full time, but at least I had him right after I finished. Lol I joked with my husband about going for my doctorate since I was pregnant now and that is what I do. He did not think that was funny at all. 
  • Options
    For all the new moms back to school today good luck! I am in my second class for the day. Dont forget your snacks and water. 
  • Options
    I'm in the middle of my 2nd degree program with twins and hella morning sickness! I live off of fruit and water right now!
  • Options
    How are classes going for everyone? I'm drowning in homework...working 8-5 then coming home and doing homework until 10 every night. Currently on my third hour of homework today and not even close to being done  :s it's rough, but I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it when I finish this degree and make more money so I can spoil my little one  :)
  • Options
    I just wanna to tell you all how strong you are and how proud I'm of you! I just finished my MBA back in June and couldn't imagine doing it while expecting.
  • Options
    Once i start showing a bit more, i wanna capture pictures of bump and me walking to class a see how much it changes over 4-5months... as well as the sits! I am sure i wont be able to use the chair's attached desk in 3 months. I know i just wont fit. 
     I have homework but not a lot yet. Right now i am debating if i should let my group know that i am expecting or just let them realize that for themselves in a couple of months. Right now my bump just looks like extra fat. Haha
  • Options
    I'm going to take the Project Management course and exam prep at the local University here in town so I can obtain my PMP accreditation to add to my skills in the next month and scared - that counts as being a student right? (I already have my B.S. & M.S., adding the Proj Mgmt certification under my belt.) Luckily I signed up for morning class sessions 2x a week because when it hits 4:30pm at work, it's a downward spiral and have to go home exhausted and nauseous.  

I'll have to pack snacks and drinks for the 2 hour class...crossing fingers I'll be ok and will have the attention span! Then to have to sit through the exam to obtain the certification will be fun. Oh I hope I can take snacks with me for that!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    At the university i attend, they dont allow food or bevs on proctored exams. I bought hot pockets to have as a snack at the end of the day. Im in school from 830 am to 4pm. I have 3 breaks and i eat in everysingle one of them. And while in class im drinking watet like crazy. My doctor said i am dehydrated so i went from drinking 5 bottles day to a bigger bottle that feels like i am drinking 10 a day.