September 2017 Moms
Options

Those of you that work with young children

would you tell one of your coworkers that you're expecting incase there's a breakout that could effect your baby? Like fifths..... I know I'm not immune and it's the season for fifths breakouts and if we have a case in our class it'd be nice to know to stay away. WWYD? 

Re: Those of you that work with young children

• Options
    I probably would. I told my coworkers, just the other 1st grade teachers, because we're all close and I know if something were to go wrong I would tell them anyway. 

But, last time I was pregnant we had a huge breakout of hand, foot, and mouth and I was glad my pregnancy wasn't a huge secret. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm an ER nurse and I let my coworkers know a little on the earlier side, because of this kind of stuff. There's really not much I can't be around but if those cases arise I let them know for sure. 

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am currently 6 weeks and may let my grade-level team and possibly my principal know a little early if the need arises and something comes up, but I would like to wait until at least after my first appointment at the end of the month.
  • Options
    To extend off of that... I never get the flu shot.  I'm not against vaccinations, just a little weary of the flu shots effectiveness & side-effects. Now I am more worried about catching the flu, for obvious reasons.  Any thoughts?
  • Options
    To extend off of that... I never get the flu shot.  I'm not against vaccinations, just a little weary of the flu shots effectiveness & side-effects. Now I am more worried about catching the flu, for obvious reasons.  Any thoughts?
    I mean.. seeing as how the flu can kill you and your baby.. I would get it. A sore arm for a day is nothing compared to being hospitalized for a terrible flu.

From the American Pregnancy Associations website:

"During pregnancy changes occur in your immune system, heart, and lungs. Additional stress is put on the heart and lungs as the lung capacity decreases and heart rate increases during pregnancy. During this time the immune system is also naturally suppressed making you more susceptible to the flu during pregnancy.

Getting the flu while pregnant can lead to pneumonia and even hospitalization, so it is important to do what you can to prevent getting the flu during pregnancy. It also places your baby at risk. Studies have found having the flu during pregnancy can increase your chances of miscarriagepremature birth, and low birth weight."

It also says you can NOT get the nasal spray, as that is a live virus. You must get the shot, which is a dead virus. Any symptoms of feeling under the weather after the shot is just an immune reaction, not a mild flu. It is so worth it, in my experience and opinion.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @Sugargirl1019 I appreciate your response.  I wasn't trying to sound ignorant or suggesting that side-effects like a sore arm are worse than the potential risks of not getting the shot.  

I have just read some other scary things (from maybe not the most reliable sources).  Again thanks for your input I will definitely look into it some more and likely get the vaccination.
  • Options
    @ellemnop90 I don't get the flu shot either..... I have no advice there. 

Thanks for your input. I have my first appt on Thursday so I may tell my teaching partner and principal on Friday. 
  • Options
    I like to tell at least one person who is around me normally that I am pregnant. In case something happens (I start to bleed or a car accident) just so someone can relay my pregnancy to emergency responders. My first pregnancy I had 2 people in my office who knew I was pregnant by 6 weeks. This time it's the mom who my DD and I have weekly play dates with. 

As for the flu shot discuss it with your OB and do what you are comfortable doing. I get the flu shot every year because I have never had any side effects to the shot. Check the CDC website there is a particle shot (not just the nasal vaccine) that pregnant women shouldn't get but I didn't come across that shot in my area. Sometimes they guess wrong and the strand of flu that is running a muck is not the one in the vaccines, like last year. 
  • Options
    I literally work with my best friend so she is aware we have been trying. Other than that we have just told our parents and son. I probably won't say much until I see the doctor in a few weeks. I am too afraid to get my hopes up this early I guess and don't want to jinx myself lol. if I worked in an environment  where things would need to be watched or any changes made I probably would say something now.
  • Options
    I told my team and my principal since I forgot about the weekly appointments with my endocrinologist....... 
  • Options
    I work in healthcare with sick people all day long and have a 17month son in MDO. I wear a mask if I suspect HFM or fifths disease but I don't stress. I've gotten my flu shot. I'm seeing positive flu with flu shots so I may start wearing a mask with flu like symptoms. 
    Just keep your hands washed!! 
  • Options
    Oh and no, not telling anyone yet because I work by myself. 
  • Options
    @ellemnop90 I am 5 weeks 5 days and I was just diagnosed with the flu. I don't get the vaccine and this is the first time I've ever had the flu. I am very worried about how it will affect my pregnancy, but I caught it early and don't expect to have any complications like pneumonia. 

Its a personal decision obviously. I don't know that I would change and get the vaccine in the future, but I'm definitely reconsidering. 

• Options
    *TW* lurking - I used to be an Aug17 mama until two days ago. Please tell your school nurse. If you have sick kids and she is borderline on sending them home, knowing you are pregnant should help her make the call. I will never know what happened and why, but I just so happened to miscarry a few days after getting sick (tons of kids and family members were sick) and having to take medication. It totally could have been something else, but please be careful and definitely get your flu shot ASAP!!!
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility