August 2017 Moms
Options

PPD

Im really nervous about post Partum depression. I had it with my daughter, who is 15 months now. I thought maybe it was just everything I went through with her... she was premature and caught spinal meningitis in the NICU and ended in and out of the hospital 6 times by 4 months old, but idk. I know I tend to be an anxious person anyone but wondering if anyone had pod with one and not the other? 

No no I never wanted to hurt my child, that is post Partum psychosis which is much more serious. I just got overwhelmed super easy, very depressed and felt hopeless and like a failure etc...

Re: PPD

• Options
    Me personally, no, nothing that was ever diagnosed at least. But a few of my o12 moms did and have since went on to have more kids... they all seemed to have it to some extent the second/third time. Being aware you are susceptible to it and talking to your doctor is important. Even talking about it now with your ob might be good. Just having that open dialog. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012

• Options
    I had it with my son. At my first appt this week, I mentioned it to my doctor so now I'm on their radar. She said they will monitor me a lot more carefully postpartum bc I'm more susceptible to having it again. Mention it to your doctor as well and see what they say. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had PPA and PPD really bad with my son. I would wake up every morning throwing up and had no appetite at all. I had my son 5 months ago so I'm still taking Zoloft. I know how you feel, hang in there. It's normal to be worried about that. I would mention it to your OB to refresh them about it. 
  • Options
    I also have PPD and PPA with my son that was born 7 months ago. I am still taking Zoloft and my OB told me to keep taking it. I do have a history of depression and anxiety, so I know I am more susceptible to PPD and PPA and will probably have it with this child, too. I will probably stay on the meds throughout my pregnancy and after if they are still working. Medication really helped me. Definitely talk to your OB and remember that it is very common and their are many ways to cope :smile:
    Married 5/12/2007
    DS 6/3/2016
    MC 1/12/2017
    BFP 7/19/2017
    EDD 3/31/2018

• Options
    I can relate to the feelings of getting overwhelmed easily. That was me all the way after my four babies.

A woman's hormones aren't always cooperative when she needs them to be, and sometimes getting some outside help is required, mostly to get some understanding of what is happening and why. The more you know about the potential direction your hormones can take you in, the more options you'll have to remedy the situation. There are numerous natural supplements designed to reduce anxiety and both my daughters have had raving results after taking them. Some simple researching on line can help you get familiar with what they are and how to use them. If you decide to explore that option, you can contact a holistic physician in your area to provide which ones to take. I mention this because of the success my daughters have had.

As far as your feelings of depression and feeling like a failure, I think it's important to remember that motherhood is taxing even on the best of days. You feel so incredibly responsible for everything that happens in this child's life and if you make even one little slip-up you sometimes can't forgive yourself. What a shame that we as mothers put that kind of pressure on ourselves. We are human just like everyone else and make mistakes without ever intending to. Thankfully, we do learn as we go and our children help us mature and grow stronger without ever realizing it. 

If you continue to have this heightened concern, I would suggest seeking out a professional who is equipped to walk you through your situation and listen to what you have to say. I don't know if that idea appeals to you or not - it's a matter of what you are the most comfortable with. 

But I really am a strong believer of connecting with others for support and knowledge. Walking through stress all by yourself is challenging and sometimes even lonely and scary. Having a friend who can listen with their heart is good for the soul. Above all, pray and ask God for His direction. he is the most faithful friend you'll ever have and stands ready to receive you into His open arms. 

I am so glad we had this chance to talk and I promise you i will be praying for you.
  • Options
    I didn't have any PPD but I did have my placenta encapsulated and took it as pills for the 2 months following delivery. I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I read that it would help with hormones and PPD issues and I wanted to be proactive just in case. I plan to do the same with this baby if all goes well.  Just a thought if you are considering other treatments. 
  • Options
    I would  recommend definitely bringing it up with your doctor now.  This way it is something S/he is aware of and evaluating a little more closely.  Plus, clue your partner in on how you're feeling and what you're worried about.  Sometimes those dummies have to be our mirrors to really help us see what's up. In the long run, both you and your baby (and other kids) are better off if you treat/act early. 
  • Options
    I didn't have any PPD but I did have my placenta encapsulated and took it as pills for the 2 months following delivery. I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I read that it would help with hormones and PPD issues and I wanted to be proactive just in case. I plan to do the same with this baby if all goes well.  Just a thought if you are considering other treatments. 
    How/where do you have it done? My hospital will save the placenta, but then it's up to me to have it processed & encapsulated. I checked into this last time, but didn't go through with it not knowing how to proceed. Any advice??? TIA! :) 
  • Options
    dmbfan46835dmbfan46835 member
    edited January 2017
    @pinkprincesspiper I used a local doula. She processes everything at her home. checked it out tho and it's all super legit. Several of my friends had used her and referred me. I bet if you asked someone at your hospital/docs office they would know someone who offers that service. She comes day/night of delivery and picks it up and delivers the finished product back the following day. Just had to bring a cooler and keep it on ice for her. And the pills didn't taste or smell weird. It was like taking a vitamin. 

I would think there's someone in your area that does it since you are in such a big metro area compared to here. I can ask her if she knows anyone else down by you if you want?
  • Options
    I struggle with anxiety and depression in general. Last time my midwife put me on a low dose of zoloft in my 3rd pregnancy simply because of my families history with PPD. Im going to encapsulate my placenta as well get a tincture made this time. I am also using a local doula (who is also a friend).
  • Options
    I had bad PPA with my first.. I am def nervous about getting it again. 
    I was nauseous all day when I Had it, no appetite and felt a constant state of something being wrong.. you can have intrusive thoughts. That doesn't mean you have psychosis. Psychosis is when you try to act on the thoughts and think they are real. 
    I was on lexapro for a year and half. I'm going to see how I feel after delivering but I'll have a bottle ready to go at first sign! 

Id have a therapist to help you work through it too! Feel good mama! 
    Eat Sleep DanceimageBabyFruit Ticker BFP 12/10/2012 - Strong numbers and baby HB 169!
  • Options
    @pinkprincesspiper I used a local doula. She processes everything at her home. checked it out tho and it's all super legit. Several of my friends had used her and referred me. I bet if you asked someone at your hospital/docs office they would know someone who offers that service. She comes day/night of delivery and picks it up and delivers the finished product back the following day. Just had to bring a cooler and keep it on ice for her. And the pills didn't taste or smell weird. It was like taking a vitamin. 

I would think there's someone in your area that does it since you are in such a big metro area compared to here. I can ask her if she knows anyone else down by you if you want?
    That would be super awesome, thank you! 
  • Options
    I had my placenta encapsulated from my son in June 2015 and I highly recommend it. I didn't take the pills everyday but they really really helped when I would start feeling sad or overwhelmed. My husband took 3 weeks off of work and when he went back to work is when I really needed them. I googled for doulas in my area and had to sign special paperwork to save the placenta and take it home with me. The doula came to my house and did everything in my house so I knew it was my placenta pills I was receiving. I got just under 200 pills and you keep them frozen and take them whenever you need them (I believe, but could be wrong) for up to 6 months. Being someone with severe anxiety and panic attacks I highly recommend going this route. And no it's not gross and doesn't leave an aftertaste!! 
  • Options
    clairemwalkerclairemwalker member
    edited January 2017
    I had bad PPD first time around and got put on prozac at 8months PP. i came off it when we started trying. I too am really worried about it this time and dont know how to bring it up with my mw. Im too embarassed to tell her because i hid my depression from her (we have mw care for 6w pp and i started spiralling 48 hours after LO was born) hell it took me 7 months to go to a doc! Anyway, i can relate and put out positive vibes for you. 
  • Options
    @AEHOLDEN I appreciate this question and share your concern. I am also worried b/c mine was overlooked and dismissed last time. I even acknowledged it at my PP appointment. I brought up this and a desire to have a plan to my counselor when TTC and was basically just asked what sort of plan I thought I needed. I told her I have no idea and was given nothing further. I have switched OB's and am hoping this one will offer some more insight at my first appointment today.