November 2016 Moms

Nursing Bras - I Need Recommendations

MrsMaryK2016MrsMaryK2016 member
edited January 2017 in November 2016 Moms
I hate my nursing bra and want a new one. I'm looking for bras that are supportive for wearing out in public, not sleep bras. What do you love? What should I stay away from?

Edited: Baby was crying and I posted before checking. 

Re: Nursing Bras - I Need Recommendations

• I only have a list of hate-them bras, so I second this request... and if you could specify your bra size, that would helpful. TIA!
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • arcticseal-2arcticseal-2 member
    edited January 2017
    I have some pretty nice Thyme maternity ones but they're pricey (about 40ish a bra) and Canadian so...  
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly bras are one of those things I'm willing to splurge on and I've found the more expensive they are the more comfortable they can be so it's typically worth it. I second posting your bra size if you have recommendations. I'm currently a 34DDD (oh how I miss my petite 32D bras!) so I need some support. 
  • Bravado Designs Womens' Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra - Butterscotch - Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YQJD3U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ejCAyb9S5BKMY

I love this one!
  • I bought mine from motherhood maternity (Canada) I'm usually a 34 DD. In these wearing a 36DD. They have underwire which I love. About 40 each. 
    If you want specific models I can provide. 

A lot of mamas i know go to small boutique bra stores that will order in after doing measurements etc. They swear by them, despite them being $100+ but I guess if you'll be wearing something for a year-ish it would be worth the investment! 
  • I just ordered a bunch from Nordstrom. I'll let you know what I think!
  • I just ordered a bunch from Nordstrom. I'll let you know what I think!
    Any particular brands?
  • I bought a bunch (like six) and they're all different brands. As soon as I get them I'll post links and reviews. Hopefully it helps someone not waste money on these terrible bras I keep getting. 
  • Best ones I got are like sports bras, but obviously for nursing. They are super comfortable and thin and pliable. Throw some pads in em and you are good to go. Oh, I got mine at Macys.
  • Any updates here @mrsmaryk2016? All of mine stink. 
  • Ah yes! Sorry, completely forgot. 

Some perspective when reading my commentary. In my previous life I was a 32D. In this life I'm a 34DDD or 34E (same size but some brands do DDD and some E, no idea why). My breasts are also tear drop shaped meaning they're fuller at the bottom. So hopefully that helps.

Sports Bra: 
    This fit like a real sports bra that I'm used to but I should have read the fine print. It's designed for pumping moms and isn't breastfeeding friendly. Ordered it in a Medium and it fit fine but I ultimately returned it.

Sports Bra:
    Ordered this in a large and a medium, I kept the medium. It's a good sports bra for low impact sports like yoga or pilates. I just did some running in it and let me tell you, my big girls need more support than this bra can offer. But it's comfortable and can be worn as a traditional bra or a racerback (there is a clip in the back).

Bra:
    This one didn't fit me correctly. Gave me serious uniboob and the foam cups were hard to fold down. I ordered it in a 34DD and a 34DDD. 34DDD fit fine but I returned it because it wasn't flattering. 

Wireless Bra:
    I wanted at least one wireless bra to wear at home and this one had really good reviews online. I HATED it. It felt super cheap, the fabric was scratchy and it gave me some serious uniboob. No thanks. Definitely returned it. Ordered it in a 34DDD and it fit fine.

Wired Bra:
    This one was by far the best one. It was so good that when Nordstrom sent me three by accident instead of the one I ordered, I ended up keeping all three so I'd have backups. It's not perfect though. The cups don't have padding, they're just a thicker material -  this means they're really easy to fold down and they don't lose their shape. But it also means they're kinda floppy and can show breast pads underneath and don't give a very smooth line under tighter shirts. Also, the straps are this weird material that isn't very cute when they peak out of shirts. But I went with comfort and functionality here. This one lifts and separates and can be worn all day with minimal discomfort. 

I hope this helps! I'm in a hurry so I didn't check the links. Let me know if one of them doesn't show up or work. 
  • You are awesome @mrsmaryk2016! Thanks!
  • Lurking from sept 16.

I have humongous boobs since nursing 36 H/I. This playtex nursing tank is the best thing since sliced bread and only $20. I wear it everyday and it is so comfortable. I like it much better than bravado bras. It somehow fits my cup size but is small enough every where else. 

Playtex Women's Maternity Nursing Camisole with Built-In-Bra, Black, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A8LSL24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HwvJybVQEW4G6

Walmart online has some really good bras for $7-$10 and they even fit my size. This is my favorite from walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Loving-Moments-by-Leading-Lady-Maternity-Printed-Shirred-Cami-Nursing-Bra-With-Half-Sling/22367629