December 2016 Moms
Options

Jaundice anyone?

When we left the hospital two days ago baby was a little jaundice but not to worrisome levels yet.  Well, at the recheck today his bilirubin has gotten much worse, which I partially blame on some faulty info I was given from a nurse before we left, but that's a different story.  They almost admitted us back to the hospital but thankfully his pedi thinks that as long as we can be strict at home, that there isn't much different they'd be doing in the hospital so at least we could do it in the comfort of our own home.  We have the bili-bed instead of the bili-blanket (home health was out of the blankets) and he HATES it.  Anyone else have a jaundice baby and/or had to do light therapy?  Any tips to keep him satisfied in the light box, because he already hates it.  I'm throwing out any of the "rules" to keep him happy in there (like not giving him a pacifier so early) so any tips are appreciated. 

Re: Jaundice anyone?

• Options
    We had to go back to the hospital after a week due to his jaundice. He had the lights and a blanket underneath him so he was getting lights from both sides. They rolled up a blanket so it was around in to keep him in place on his back and the pacifier helped too. I would make sure he was good asleep before laying him down and he did ok. He had a few times where he wasn't having it so I would hold him until he settled. 
    There was also a time where he got way too hot and that upset him so I would make sure he's not too warm as well. 
    You'll know if the blanket is working because he will have some darker BMs because he will be getting it all out of his system
     Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• Options
    Dd1 was in the bed the entire hospital stay. The only way she was ok was if we held her paci and rubbed her cheek. All day and night. Stop for a second and she screamed. We took shifts. 

To this day, rubbing her cheek still calms her down right away and she's 2.5.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were back in the day after we were discharged to check his bilirubin numbers, which were up so he was admitted (on Thanksgiving). He was put under the lights for a full 24 hours. It was sad to see but we knew it had to be done. We felt bad for his poor heels since they were poked to check blood sugar levels and for bilirubin after he was born, as well. So, no experience with it outside the hospital. He had the blanket underneath him, too.

He basically slept the entire time he was under the lights, besides when we needed to feed and change him. He loved the warmth. I think it was also cos he was still so little that it was like being back in the womb. He only freaked out in a couple times and we consoled him the best we could with him being in it. He wouldn't take a paci then, so we just dealt with him crying.

They discharged us Black Friday, and had us go back in that Saturday to recheck... which the number was 12.7 (I think), but since he was older, it was a good number. No issues since.

Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Had to do the light bed at home with DS. It SUCKED he would not stay in it and we gave up after a night of trying and laid him in the sun. Our then pedi was really nervous about it. Our now pedi says she has essentially never seen jaundice become a real problem and thinks it's over stressed. DS cleared up after my milk came in. Dd had been fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Thank you so much, ladies.  His first night was pretty good. He was initially really fussy but then he was basically milk drunk from the increased feedings to flush his system.  Tonight however... He's over it.  Like @sourlemon said we are just taking shifts  trying to keep him comfortable in the box.  Thankfully the first night brought his levels down from 17 to 13. They are happy if his levels are under 12 so tonight SHOULD be the last night (please, for the love of all things holy) 

Thank you again for the tips!
  • Options
    DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited December 2016
    @Fauxpa no experience other than a short stay on the lights when DS1 was in the NICU so they did it at night when I wasn't there.  I hope tonight does the trick for you!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker