December 2016 Moms
Options

PP Healing &a Wellness 12/26

How old is your little one/how many weeks PP? 

How are you doing "self-care" ... what habits or things do you find help restore you physically, mentally/emotionally?

What do you think about the concept of "putting on your oxygen mask first" as a mother? Do you feel guilt or empowerment to do that? 

What is one thing you can choose NOT to do (or delegate to someone else) in order to have more wellness this week? 

And as always feel free to ask questions that you need to! 

<3 

Due December 27th with baby #7

Re: PP Healing &amp;a Wellness 12/26

• Options
    Maggie is 4 weeks today! I can't believe it. She is moving out of the newborn stage so fast.

My mood is tightly tied to what I am eating and how much sleep I am getting so I have been trying to prioritize those two things. Eating well has been hard, but  I have a great support network in my mom and MIL. When I feel myself starting to sink into a bad mood, I call one of them up, and they come watch the baby while I nap. Even just an extra two hours of sleep refreshes my attitude enough to keep going. I have also been trying to get out of the house for one short walk each day. Just being out in the sunshine with baby snug in the carrier has made a huge difference.

I feel tremendous guilt about the idea of putting my mask on first. Today we are moving houses, and for the last two nights, baby has been a fussy sleeper so my mood has been deteriorating. I knew I had to get some sleep or I wasn't going to be able to make it through today, so last night, at around 4 AM, when baby was warm, changed, fed, burped, and still fussy, I put her in her bassinet by the bed, let her fuss, and tried to get some sleep. She never broke into crying, but she alternated between sleeping and fussing for about 3 hours (sometimes even fussing in her sleep). When I got up this morning, I was totally consumed with guilt for not comforting her. I have been trying to make up for it with super long snuggly nursing sessions and promises that I will never, ever do that again. Mommy guilt is so real, and it hurts worse than any guilt I have ever experienced. 

This week I will be waiting until my DH is home from work before tackling too much unpacking at the new house. I will be using that extra time to sleep when the baby sleeps.
  • Options
    We are 3.5wks PP, will be 4wks on Wed, 1 month on Friday.... crazy how time is already flying by in that weird dragging/flying way it does

How are you doing "self-care" ... what habits or things do you find help restore you physically, mentally/emotionally?
    I'm not doing great in this area... I actually asked a similar question in the Moms of Toddlers thread. I'm going to try to focus on this area this week. I miss time with my friends, I think I need to get out of the house a bit even just taking a walk

What do you think about the concept of "putting on your oxygen mask first" as a mother? Do you feel guilt or empowerment to do that? 
    I appreciate and agree with the concept, struggle in implementation... :-/

What is one thing you can choose NOT to do (or delegate to someone else) in order to have more wellness this week? 
    Hmmm....I could let some housework go
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @allicat89 I'm glad you can keep yourself on an even keel. Just know that there are sooooo many other things to feel guilty for, that you shouldn't feel bad over getting extra rest. LO was fine, didn't cry or need changed/fed/burped.

How old is your little one/how many weeks PP? She was 5 weeks Friday.

Physically I'm back to pre-pregnancy. Still my chubby self, but down several pounds from BFP time. Mentally/Emotionally I can't wait until my PP Wednesday so I can get help with this PPD. I think I could deal with it, if H wasn't working the odd shift he is. He leaves @2am gets home @4pm in bed by 6. So from wake up @7 to bedtime at 10pm I'm pretty much a single mom, and I can't handle it.

If I can't stay awake to hold E's bottle, then I'm not with it enough to take care of her. So I feel a bit guilty when pumping or taking care of 1 kid while the other is fussing/crying, but otherwise I am ok.

What is one thing you can choose NOT to do (or delegate to someone else) in order to have more wellness this week

Nothing much, see self care section. I guess I can get take out/frozen dinners so food is easier for me&L&H.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    Day 3. Today was our first full day at home. 

Actually, I'm still pretty terrifying of messing stuff up down there. So I'm probably being too caustious. Today was the first day I really got out of bed more than trips to the restroom. I just showers if that counts  :#

Haha. I actually used that phrase this morning. Luke was wailing because he needed food NOW. But I was still getting my pillows and such all set up just right. Not a really serious example, but funny the exact phrase was used. 

No shame. I'm fully taking advantage my help. FI is being awesome doing housework and bring me whatever I need. I know it won't last forever so I'll take it while I have it. 
  • Options
    4 weeks today

I think I need to do better with this. I'm doing ok, but kind of feel like I'm just treading water. I'm mostly doing ok because DH is still off work for two more weeks and is a great help. But he was gone all day on Friday and I had a hard time being by myself all day with baby girl, so I need to start figuring out how I'm going to manage by myself when he goes back to work. 
    Also, we're waiting to see to get in to see the pediatrician about blood in baby girl's diapers (they were still closed for Christmas today). Urgent care told us on Saturday that it could be a milk protein sensitivity, so I've cut out dairy for a few days and that's been hard for me- I feel hungry a lot.  

I'm a little of both about this. I know it's really important to take care of myself first so that I can take care of her, but it's also hard to do that without feeling some guilt. 

DH got me a Roomba for Christmas! He picked that off my list because "that's something that will help me when he goes back to work." :blush: But also things like general picking up around the house is something I can leave for DH to do while I'm nursing- I'll probably have to ask him to do it, but I think he will.  
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options

He is 4 weeks today (woah). 

I'm still working on this one. I have been making it a priority to have a nice, hot shower all by myself every single day and I've only missed once since we've come home from the hospital. Last night I decided to be a little selfish and slept. Really slept. It started on the car ride home from Georgia and I let the baby stay up with DH and went to bed when we got home. He eventually put the boy in the RocknPlay next to me (who was sleeping away anyway) and joined me. When I got up this morning I'd managed nearly 12 hours total between the car and the bed. I'd finally hit a wall with the not sleeping/naps only and finally got back some of my deficit. It was so needed. 

BUT I need to be more mindful about working on myself/for myself because I really believe in being your best for your family by not completely neglecting yourself. 

The concept is a sensible one, the implementation is completely outside of my comfort zone. I want to fall on all the swords for the ones I love and I've never loved so fiercely as I do now. As I said before, I need to focus on self-care for his sake as much as mine though. New mantra for me, "Mama does her best when she's at her best." 

We are getting some visitors this week that will likely offer to help. I'm going to try to let them do that and not let my sleep deficit get so out of hand this week. I've also been cleared for all activities today from my OB, and so I'm going to start pursuing some healthy exercise and meal planning. I could wait for January 1st to start trying to lose some baby weight, but now that Christmas is over, why wait on good stuff? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

6 weeks...can't believe it! I have my post appointment Wednesday. Getting an iud put in and looking forward to sex with DH (if we manage to find time..baby likes to held). 

Since Scarlett is still eating every two hours in the night, I'm tired, so make sure I get a nap every day. My parents are here now so that's easy, but when they are not, I lay down with her and am able to doze off at least a little bit. 

I agree with it, but it's hard to implement, especially while breastfeeding. But I'm getting a shower most days, and a little nap. I would like/need to start exercising again but it's hard to find the time. 

Well my parents are here until Thursday so it's much easier to do so with them, but once they leave...I let things slide in the house a bit. I used to like everything "perfect" once DH got home from work, but now if dishes are left in the sink or the bed isn't made, it's fine. 
  • Options
    I like your mantra @Austenista

Its nice to see you all making choices and doing things that help you as you mother or processing what that looks like in your own life/circumstances. Good stuff! 

• Options
    How old is your little one/how many weeks PP?  5 weeks and 2 days

I could use more sleep.  DH was off work all last week and today and it's hard to not feel resentful when I'm the only one getting up at night because I'm EBF.  I understand why it happens, but it's irritating.

I support this - so far I'm not really sure how to implement.  I've been lucky and DS is pretty easy, despite going through his first leap complete with fussiness.

Ha, I already do this.  DH dies basically all the housework.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    I go here now!

May is 1 week tomorrow 

Self care - taking time to shower. I've been craving dark green vegetables too so making sure I get those. I took 2 naps with newborn today. I'm thrilled about this!!! I need to move more. I walked today and it went well. I'll start with some light yoga and stuff tomorrow.

Oxygen mask first - depends on what we're talking about. I find I avoid the conflict of self care and baby/toddler care by planning first. sometimes that means making up DS's lunch at 9:30 because I have a moment then and dont want things to back up later... etc. when it comes to sleep im awful. i would rather be run ragged than deal with over tired DH

eh... my DH is great at making sure I get time I want/need. I have a REALLY hard time being away from newborn. Like even across the room at first. It goes away with time but right now... the thing I want is to be there for my baby. DH is providing more for DS but I'm trying to make sure to give him my full attention at times throughout the day too.

Question - my uterus rocketed back down into my pelvis after hellacious postpartum contractions and now I feel like my guts sort of settled wrong. Any BTDT ever had this happen? I googled it and found a PT that actually addresses this in my area but I found very little info on it otherwise. Is it actually a thing? Do they go back on their own?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    6 days

its really early but so far a nice hot shower and shaving my legs & taking my time doing do has been wonders for me. Helps me feel like a woman. 

i think it's very important to "put on my oxygen mask" and I'd say it's for sure easier said than done! We had the nurses take Maximus at night at the hospital so we could get some sleep.. I refused to let myself feel guilty because if I don't take care of me I won't be as great of a mama to him. I really need to work on putting my feet up during the day instead of playing Martha Stewart and cleaning the house. I'm a little OCD about it so I'm working toward remembering to take it easy

cook! We've so far had a lot of food brought to us which is awesome. When we aren't eating that food or leftovers, I've been making a quick sandwich or toast or something. I can't imagine cooking right now and actually finishing what I started. 

to anyone else using a nipple shield - do you plan on weaning your LO? After trying nursing for 2.5 days with no successful latching (following his tongue tie being cut) the nipple shield has saved my dream to breastfeed. I do have somewhat flat nipples, but am hoping to wean him from the shield after he's very comfortable with nursing in general and am wondering what kind of experiences others have had with this?
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Max is 3 weeks, 1 day today. 

Self-care: I definitely take a shower every day. I have to, otherwise I just feel gross. I'm still 20 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. I gained 45 overall, which I felt I kinda had to because I was a little underweight when I got pregnant. Anyway, I'm trying to not be so down on myself over this. I haven't started working out since I'm still bleeding a little (and it's hard to find the time), but I really want to start. It's hard. Having a ton of cookies in the house from Christmas doesn't help either. 

Delegating tasks: my in-laws are in town and my MIL has been cooking all meals, which has been incredible. They also offer to hold and watch Max while I shower/do laundry/etc. Its been great. My hope is that they will watch Max tomorrow so I can walk the dogs. I feel so guilty that they haven't had a walk in over a week. 

Question: for those of you that has a vaginal birth, when did the bleeding stop for you (if it has already)? It's definitely decreased for me, but it's kinda weird. I'll have a day with barely any, and then the next day will be more than the previous day. It's not like I'm doing strenuous activity, either. It's just getting super annoying wearing pads. 
  • Options
    @Lisa3379 I was wondering the same thing about the bleeding. It's almost 4 weeks for me and I still have some bleeding. I agree though that it's very annoying having to wear pads this long  :s

4 weeks on Wednesday

Definitely showering everyday makes me feel a lot better. Sometimes it's just that time to myself that makes me feel better. I've been trying to keep in contact with someone so I don't feel too disconnected from the world too. 

This is the first time I've heard this saying and I think it has a good point. I truly believe that in order for you to care for someone you need to also make sure you are taken care of.

Chores. Since we've been home I've still been doing laundry and dishes. Idk why but I think I need to really take a week to actually relax with the baby and leave all that to DH. Or maybe I'll have him go get some paper plates so there are no dishes :D

Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• Options
    @Lisa3379 I was done with blood by 2 weeks, and all the other stuff by 3 weeks. BUT with my CS I was completely done by 1 week, so maybe I just don't bleed.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    How old is your little one/how many weeks PP? 1 week!

Trying to nap during the day (with varying success, sometimes when I'm overtired my mind won't stop racing). Getting a shower in when I can. Eating healthy.

I tend to feel a lot of guilt in general especially around the idea of being "productive". DH has tried to convince me throughout the pregnancy that creating a human is pretty productive on its own, but I do still feel guilt if I'm not getting other things done. But the reality of postpartum recovery is forcing me to be at least a little more gentle with myself.

DH has already taken over most household stuff for now, in addition to being totally committed to co-parenting. He's made me every meal since we got home, and has changed more diapers than I have. He's a rock star. But he does need to start working (freelance from home, but still means he's unavailable) and I'll have to choose not to do some housekeeping tasks to keep up with my self care. 

• Options
    Question:Anyone else's butt just totally go numb? Like up by my tailbone. Not even in the "effected" region. I think sittting on it oddly to avoid putting too much weight on stitches was bad? It's now numb all the time. Even after sleeping on my side. This isn't a sign of legit damage, is it?
  • Options
    How old is your little one/how many weeks PP?  2.5 weeks

Showering and getting dressed in "real" clothes definitely helps.  Also, trying to tidy up (aka putting away all the baby stuff that somehow gets left out again and again) makes me feel better.

I think that it's true for me.  Whenever I don't get enough sleep, I get much more easily frustrated when the baby is crying or having a hard time settling.  However, DH is back at work for the first time today, so we'll see how it goes.  I don't want to have to continue to rely on him to help in the middle of the night if he's also working full time.  So getting a good amount of sleep is going to depend on LO...

Fortunately, my mom made us a bunch of freezer meals so I don't have to cook this week!  I'll also have to make sure I get enough rest somehow, so that may mean having DH watch LO when he gets home so I can nap, if I can't do it during the day.  He can also help with laundry in the evenings if needed.

• Options
    karmbakarmba member
    edited December 2016
    @temmetime we used the nipple shield in the hospital because I too have flat nipples.  We were able to wean off of it because after about a week my nips were no longer flat haha.  One DS got used to nursing he was able to skip the shield.  Start offering just your nipple and if he can't latch add the shield.

edit - spelling

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    How old is your little one/how many weeks PP?  In our 4th day
    How are you doing "self-care" ... what habits or things do you find help restore you physically, mentally/emotionally?  It's still early and I'm still figuring it out. I feel my best when I'm productive, so having a plan for the day that aligns with DH and the kids is important to me and self worth.  but we haven't been home in a regular routine long enough, christmas was a blur and yesterday was trying to recouperate from christmas.  we got out for about an hour yesterday to pick up my iron and pain medication and I know I will feel better after starting those. Doula also dropped off my PE last night, so that should help me get some strength back soon.  also made a quick trip to return the NB diaps, we went straight to size 1. we may have overdone it with that trip since my back started aching soon after.  bleeding has slowed some already but i'm still feeling a little torn up down there, my doula gave me a few sitz baths to try out so i may make a point to get in there today. emotionally i'm pretty good so far. DH has been amazing and LO is allowing me to get a few hours in at a time overnight so i'm hanging in there.
    What do you think about the concept of "putting on your oxygen mask first" as a mother? Do you feel guilt or empowerment to do that?  i recognized a long time ago that my mood sets the tone for the house. when i am cranky, the kids get cranky, DH gets frustrated, and nobody wins. when i am happy everything is well, so i don't have any guilt over ensuring that my basic needs are met.
    What is one thing you can choose NOT to do (or delegate to someone else) in order to have more wellness this week? I have a ton of help already, DH is picking up the housework slack and MIL is doing a lot with the older girls, so I can focus on myself and baby. Things will change when DH goes back to work next week but he's going in to the office for a few hours tomorrow so it will be a little test run. He's been much more attentive with the third child so I am extremely fortunate. 
  • Options
    5 weeks on Monday.

Well, unless I am going somewhere I don't shower. This varies per week, and what Wyatt allows me to actually do. when I do get to shower and DH is home (as showers with just me and Wyatt, I have to be quick), I take my time to shave my legs and just soak in the warmth. I also try to get one thing done around the house each day so I don't feel like I am just sitting around with Wyatt. Some days this is easy to do and other days not so much. I have learned to put him down more when he falls asleep on me so that I can do something. I just love his snuggles and know they won't last forever.

My 6-week follow-up is next week, so once I get the go ahead to add in cardio... I am. I was hoping to get to the mall with Wyatt and just walk, but the weather has been super cold and I just don't want to bring him out unless I have to. So, I will start to drop this remaining 25 lbs. next week. I don't go back to work until Jan 30, so once DH gets home from work, I'll hop on our treadmill or do a workout video and get back into my workouts... which I was fairly active pre-PG. That will help me out too. I gained 52 lbs and have stayed around the 25 lb. loss mark for a couple weeks now, so guessing nothing else will drop until I start adding more exercise.

I had never heard of that phrase, so i had to look to see what others had said. I knew having a child would force me to be more not about myself, but more about someone else... and I keep telling myself that every day. I love being a mom, but I get frustrated when I can't do something for myself. Or, I start to do something and he starts crying so I go tend to him to see what's going on. I put myself on hold... and that's new to me. I try not to let this dictate how my feelings go for the day, so I try to stay positive. I understand that this needy phase only last so long and it will get better. At some point, I will have time for myself, DH and Wyatt.

DH has always been great. He's Type A, so he cleans and cooks and also helps out when he can. I feel bad cos he actually gets LESS sleep than I do. He stays up until about 2am with Wyatt, and then sleeps until he gets up for work. I may be up from 2a-on, but at least I can nap during the day when Wyatt naps; DH can't. So, I give him slack on that stuff cos I know he needs his sleep and he should sleep. My parents have also offered to help whenever we need it, if Wyatt needs to be watched if we have some stuff to do that is easier to do without him. My mom has come over to watch him after she's done with work for me to run errands, go to appointments etc. we appreciated it so much, and they LOVE seeing him (their first grandkid). This week, my mom will come over so I can do some stuff either tomorrow or Thursday. I also scheduled a nail appointment Friday, so I'll have her come over for that too. She's off work this week, works for the schools, so it's easier. Otherwise, as long as it's after 3:30, I can use her any day of the week.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• Options
    @Lisa3379 even though I had a c-section, the bleeding time is similar. With my 1st, I bled for about 5 weeks, with my 2nd it was 4 weeks, and with this one I'm 3 weeks pp and still bleeding on and off. My sisters have had about the same lengths of pp bleeding and they both had vaginal births with all their children. They both said that their bleeding time was shorter with each pregnancy. And yet again, it varies with every individual and their experience. My bleeding this time seems heavier than my 2nd, but I labored this time. My bleeding with my first was very heavy, and that was my longest labor. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    How many weeks PP? 3W5D

How are you doing self care? I am giving myself time to take a hot shower every night. One thing I learned with DD was, even though I'm momma now, on top of "wife", I'm still Emily, and I can't afford to let myself get lost in my new identity. So, now that I'm momma of 2, I am really making sure that I still do things I enjoy. I leave the kiddos with DH or my mom, and run to the store, coffee shop, etc. 

What do you think of the concept of "putting your own oxygen mask on first" as a mother? 
    I guess this kind of coincides with my answer above to a certain degree. I have realized that you can't pour from an empty cup, so as hard as it may be at times, I KNOW that I have to take care of myself first sometimes. I can't help anyone if I am constantly run down, tired and drained, sick, etc. 

What is 1 thing you can choose to not do (or can delegate) this week to have more wellness? 
    I am delegating some night time responsibilities to DH. He is now jumping in to do the dishes after dinner, or doing beftime stories with DD, instead of me doing it all. Even with him back working, we are tag teaming this really well. I can honestly say that I don't feel like I carry more of the load anymore. 

• Options
    jandd2014 said:
    @Mamax2 my mom had a small sign hanging over the kitchen sink with a short poem on it:
    "There will be years for cleaning and cooking, for children grow up while we're not looking."
    :)
    Oh, I love that!
  • Options
    - 3 weeks today :)

- This is a rough one for me, I've been making sure to shower everyday and have been wearing not-pjs for 2 weeks. It makes me feel great. But I have to plan my shower carefully, my incision is still open due to pp complications. So I have this whole process that takes about 15 minutes on top of my regular shower time. I've got to make sure Lucas is fed, burped, changed, and asleep before I shower. Also, DH didn't get much time off of work (he is in sales and is trying to make his year end quota). So he was out of town a few days last week and this week. He helped a lot during the first week pp, and helps when he is home. When he is home I can take a longer shower, or even shave my legs in there! The shower is my physical and mental booster, it helps me find balance.
    And .... COFFEE!! It gives me the focus mentally to keep track of things. 

- Guilty and empowered over here. I do make sure to take enough care of myself so that I can take good care of our family. The incision care is part of this, when it got infected and I got mastitis the first week pp, I felt awful. I was not taking good care of anyone at that point, just managing the minimum and my house was falling apart. DH is helpful with Lucas, and understanding that I need to take care of myself in order to take care of the whole family. I feel guilty that I have to take extra time for myself, but empowered that I can let baby fuss for 5 minutes while I eat breakfast (without feeling too stressed). 

- I have not been cooking hardly at all. I made a big breakfast on Christmas morning, but other than that I've been (or others) cooking pre-made food for the most part. Or DH has. Or family and friends have brought us food. Friends came by tonight to make me dinner because they knew DH was out of town. I also taught my DDs (10 & 5 yrs) how to make their own food. The elder can make soups, mac n cheese, etc., and the younger can make sandwiches, cereal, toast, etc. I knew I was going to have to let go of something, so I planned ahead for this letting go of regular cooking. It only took me 3 kids to do this! 

i don't know if it's because I'm in my 30's now, or if it's because it's my 3rd kid, but I feel more tired during the day than I did with my other 2. Yet I'm getting more sleep than I did with the others. How do you feel 'awake' during the day? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I wanted to share this blog post a mama wrote about her struggle with PPD as a high-functioning adult. Really spoke to me --- I hope it helps others, too.

https://www.tallmomtinybaby.com/2015/02/postpartum-depression-my-experience-blog.html?m=1
  • Options
    @yellingbanana I wonder if it's more an issue of being anemic than having your 3rd or being over 30... although both of those factors are significant in my opinion. You just had a rough go after your csection and that has to effect you...

Ive also found if I'm dragging and exhausted that vit d is a huge boost to how I feel physically and mentally. 

Give yourself and extra measure if grace, rest and extra vitamins...