June 2017 Moms

Classes

Has anyone ever taken any childbirth classes?
My friend at work went once a month to a class. It doesn't look like my hospital offers the same.
I'm more interested in actually preparing for birth and taking a breastfeeding class.

If you have, which class (es) do you recommend?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Classes

• My husband and I took a "birthing blitz" class and newborn care class together. I took a breastfeeding class on my own. Both were offered at the hospital where I delivered. The birth class covered all three stages of labor, different breathing techniques, C sections, postpartum care, and a tour of the labor and delivery unit. I like it but my husband slept through it. The newborn class was about umbilical cord care, feeding (breast or formula), sleep schedules, how to change a diaper, etc. My husband and I had both never held a newborn baby until our son was born so I also liked this course. And the breastfeeding class was just all about breastfeeding and they also had examples of lots of different pumps to look at. 

All of the classes we took were helpful. My labor and delivery was out of the norm (I showed up at the hospital at 9cm and ready to push) so I didn't utilize a lot of what they taught in the labor section (I was home alone going through labor sitting on my couch with the dog). For someone with experience with babies the newborn class would have been a waste of time. 

Can you see if another hospital near you offers classes? I also read a lot of books and learned a lot on the Bump as well. Most of the classes reiterated what I was reading already. I mostly went to the classes so my husband would gain something. 
  • We took an "express" birthing class because we already knew we'd be having a cesarean.  But our hospital offered many different levels of classes depending on what type of delivery you were shooting for. 

My husband had never been around babies before, so he found the "baby care" class very useful. It went through the basics of cord care, diaper changes, good holds for newborns, and feeding. 

We also got a lot out of the breastfeeding class.  

Our hospital didn't have a great range of classes, so we took some at the other regional hospital.  We didn't have to deliver there to be eligible for classes.   
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I suggest taking an infant/child CPR class but everything else was useless... including the breastfeeding class.  I was a lifeguard in high school and college but we still tool this class and gain as a refresher never hurts.

Every mom and baby combo is unique as well as my experience is that postpartum nurses are excellent with helping you in regards to what you need based on how your birth turns out as well as the baby(ies)... most hospitals even have lactation consultants just come by... don't even have to ask so they helped me in the moment.
  • Our hospital's class was more of a FAQ about the hospital experience, so I didn't end up with a real birthing class, but I didn't really need it because the L&D nurse walked me through everything. The hospital's breastfeeding class was helpful, but I didn't remember most of it when I really needed it. If you're planning to breastfeed, I highly recommend connecting with a lactation consultant in your area (you can find them independently or some pediatrician's offices have them). I ended up working with a friend of a friend on a casual basis and she was amazing support. She visited me in the hospital and helped me figure out my hold and latch (the Mother-Baby nurses at our hospital were not helpful at all and the hospital lactation consultant was out the day I was there) and then at home I'd talk to her on the phone or text whenever and I couldn't have done it without her. If you can't find a lactation consultant, a mom with breastfeeding experience would also be helpful (so long as it's someone you won't be bashful with). 
  • We took a class offered by a local doula group. It was 4 weeks and then we added breatfeeding and newborn care. The class was focus on low intervention birth (kind of a combo of hypnobabies, bradley, and meditation) but covered everything. I got a lot out of it and used a lot of what I learned in the course. We also took a 1 night course at a birth center for the first 24 hr care bc we planned to go home the same day.
    I highly recommend classes. I also found it really fun but Im kind of a nerd when it comes to pregnancy/birth info.
  • DH and I took Bradley when we were pregnant with our first.  We didn't have a traditional teacher and it worked really well for us.  I ended up having the birth of my dreams (yes, thats a thing for some people!) and I owe most of that to the raw empowerment the instructor gave us.

Wherever you are in the world and however you want your birth to go, I highly highly highly recommend that you guys take PRIVATE (as in, not in hospital or sponsored by hospital) birthing classes.  Hospital classes tend to teach you more about how the hospital wants you be read (read - a patient) ins tea dog what birth is like and how to cope with it. 

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• We signed up for a 6 week class! It's 2.5 hours each time!! 4 weeks of birth classes, 1 of newborn care and 1 for breastfeeding. We'll see how it goes. We are starting it in march. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • tmrusselltmrussell member
    edited December 2016
    Check out other hospitals or ask your doctor. I liked the child birthing class and took an all day Saturday class. I plan to do it again... That was 5 years ago. I also will take breast feeding, and they offer a siblings class I am going to take my son to. My doctor sent me some online classes that went over pain management option like the epidural. That was a helpful refresher.

Edit: typo
  • We took a variety of classes and they really helped the Mr feel a little more prepared. He had never held an infant, let alone care for a newborn.

Since we did HypnoBabies, that was a 4-week class with lots of homework (learning self-hypnosis requires effort).

The newborn class and breastfeeding were each a single class. Glad we went to both as they addressed problems to watch for, not just proper technique. 

Finally we got certified in community CPR and first aid through the Red Cross in a Sunday. I used to teach CPR a million years ago so it was neat to see what's been updated and get certified in using a defibrillator. Hope I'll never use that skill but nice to have.

• I know I already posted about having an infant/child CPR class but one thing to keep in mind.

If your baby is a preemie, some hospitals require parents to have taken the course prior to being able to leave... even if the baby passes the weight and carseat test, etc.  So having it taken care of IMO is good in general but can help out in a potentially unexpected stressful situation.

We had twins last time and wanted no issues with taking our boys home in the event they were preemies (they weren't though).
  • I took a class with my first. And got my first taste of the hospital i would be delivering at. Found out that they weren't very natural birth friendly, which was awesome knowing going in. I knew I would have to argue with them a lot. And I did, but that's another story for another day. 

Dd2 I didn't take any classes. 
    This one I plan on just doing the L&d tour and having the girls take siblings class. they have one for big kids 5-10 and kids 4 and under. 

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • Someone mentioned taking the classes due to preemies. I want to jump on that thought process for CSections. The hospital I delivered at supposedly wouldn't allow the dad in the OR if he had not taken the birthing class. Not sure how true that is for other places but wanted to pass it along 
  • We did a newborn child child care class. This time we will do a sibling class and may do a refresher for ourselves since it's been 5 years

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• 2nd baby  but preparing for  a natural delivery  so im taking 2 series to help mentally prepare me and the hubs. 
  • I think I'm gonna make DH do an infant CPR class. I'm already certified so I don't really need to do one. Anyone else doing CPR classes?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • alm52386 said:
    I think I'm gonna make DH do an infant CPR class. I'm already certified so I don't really need to do one. Anyone else doing CPR classes?
    We will be getting recertified

• This is my 2nd and we did all the classes last time except for the breastfeeding class (I was sick that day). I think I will probably do the breastfeeding class this time, because I really struggled with it last time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I took all the classes.  

The breastfeeding class wasn't really helpful - reading the womanly art of breastfeeding is the way to really prepare.  

The infant cpr and first aid class helped build my confidence about bringing the tiny human home - I'm kind of a safety nut though and just would not be comfortable winging it or googling in the instant of an emergency.  

I really wanted a natural/low intervention birth so we took the 6 week labor and birth class from a natural childbirth center taught by doulas and CNM - this was the most informative in terms of understanding what hospitals do and how to manage the staff to have the birth you want.  It was very helpful to learn about the interventions and research them properly beforehand.  I would not have been capable of making an informed decision if I were confronted with the options for the first time during labor.  We also hired a doula (I posted a lot about this earlier in a different thread).

I took the hospital's labor and delivery class - this was helpful to learn about the procedures specific to the hospital where I would deliver beforehand.  For example, if you decline a certain procedure do you have to just sign a waiver or will they do a spinal tap on the baby when he is born and keep you for 48 hours versus 24 hours after birth. The hospital is a well-oiled machine with many experienced professionals following procedures.  It is not easy to opt out.

I liked the newborn childcare class.  Even though I was comfortable around babies before I had my son, I didn't know for example about all the weird skin things on brand new infants.  So it was great to see lots of real pictures about what's normal and what's not.