June 2017 Moms

Losing weight?

im currently 14w5d and when I stepped on the scale this morning I noticed I'm down 2lbs. I have had no morning sickness and my eating was pretty outrageous until about week 12. Now I just never feel like eating but am still meeting 3 meals a day with a snack or 2 and plenty of fluids.  My total weight gain at this point (prior to my 2lb loss) is 9lbs. Have anyone else experienced this?  Is it something to worry about?  I don't go back to my OB until Jan 12th but would obviously call if this continues and gets dramatic. 

Re: Losing weight?

• hjphillipshjphillips member
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't be too worried about 2 lbs. It could easily be a drop in water weight or something. I know my doctor wasnt worried about me dropping 6 lbs. 

edit: found the actual words I was looking for. 
  • Im down about 5 lbs total for this pregnancy. I was a little worried too bc last pregnancy I was up about 5-7 lbs at this point. My midwife said that minor weight loss in the first half of pregnancy is not a cause for concern. She said to not focus on the number but making sure to get adequate protein intake.
    Considering you have gained 2 lbs can easily be within your daily fluctuation.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't had any recent weight lost. But I lost 5 pounds when I first got pregnant and still haven't gained any of it back (14w now). At my 12w appointment my doctor wasn't concerned.
  • I have lost weight too, but the OB isn't concerned at this point. I'm eating plenty and baby is growing! 
  • I had no morning sickness just no real appetite with #1. I lost a few pounds and didn't gain until about 16/17 weeks. As long as you're eating and staying hydrated you're fine. The gains will come! 
  • I lost over 10 lbs and had my OB worried at my 11 week appt. Hoping I have regained some at my appt this week. 
  •  I'm down about 15 lbs total. My OB wasn't too worried, just told me to make sure I am eating frequently and getting plenty of protein. The same thing happened in my first pregnancy and I started gaining weight during the 2nd trimester. I don't think 2 lbs is anything to worry about, but I would keep monitoring it and let your OB know if you lose more. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm down 15-16lbs total this pregnancy, I lost a lot that first trimester. I wouldn't worry too much about that loss, just make sure what you are eating is nutritent dense and you're well hydrated! 
  • Generally, weight loss isn't a concern as long as both you and the baby seem healthy and the baby continues to grow at the proper rate. I especially wouldn't be concerned about two pounds. That could be caused by forgetting to use the bathroom before weighing, a fluke with the scale, wearing an extra piece of clothing while weighing, having a big meal the night before, etc. 

You also could potentially be losing because you haven't increased your food intake. Feeding the baby, if I recall correctly, takes 300-400 calories. So if your food intake hasn't increased to match, you could lose weight. 

For what it's worth, I have a friend who gained 4 pounds the entire pregnancy. She had gestational diabetes and drastically improved her diet because of that. As a result, she lost weight in fat while gaining baby weight. She was 10 pounds or more under her pre-pregnancy weight as soon as she delivered and was in regular jeans the same day. Her doctor was never worried. It was simply a result of improving her diet. 
  • Weight gain suggestions during pregnancy vary widely depending on your individual size and risk profile prior to pregnancy.  Some women are told to gain 40 lbs and others are told to gain nothing.  Really your body is going to do what it's going to do.  Try to eat as healthfully as you can and stay active.  It'll work out fine.  If your doctor isn't concerned, you don't need to be concerned.

That said my weight can vary by 2-3 lbs daily just based on hydration level and what I've eaten the day prior...so I don't think a 2lb loss is a big deal at all.  Try not to worry about it.
  • I'm overweight to begin with, my last pregnancy my OB and High Risk doctor told me to not gain a single pound and to eat healthy, work out and try to lose weight. So I lost consistently my up until my last 10-12 weeks. I then lost 9 pounds putting me about 30 pounds lost and my doctor got upset because it was in a 1.5 week time frame. I then got taken out of work because they weren't allowing me a lunch to eat and other work related problems. I ended up gaining back weight in the last 2 months with a total weight loss of 15/20 pounds.

This pregnancy I'm down about 9 pounds since I had my BFP and they don't seem concerned. 
  • Same thing happened to me. I dropped weight due to cutting out soda before pregnancy and eating healthier!
  • This is my first pregnancy and while I haven't lost any weight yet I wouldn't be worried about 2lbs.  My midwife casually mentioned at my last appointment I've gained a little more than I should have for this point and my hubby said something rude the other day so now I've been logging my food and counting calories hoping to control it a little better as well as getting my 10K steps a day.  Which for me means actually doing activity because I sit at a desk all day and will not get more than 2k steps a day if I don't exercise.  If you're concerned try logging your food for a while and see how you're doing.  I use myfitnesspal to log with. 
  • awillis13awillis13 member
    edited December 2016
    I'm down close to 10lbs as of this morning (13w6d today).  I was at 6-7, but the stomach bug got me this week, and that knocked another 3lbs off.  I'm a little overweight to begin with so I'm not really concerned.  Had an u/s on Tuesday and everything looked good.  I'm sure I'll start putting it back on now that I'm hitting 2nd tri.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was 5-10lbs overweight before pregnancy and I lost about 5lbs since then. I'm also not concerned either since I was a little overweight anyways. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm down 9 lbs since my BFP. I lost 20 lbs with my first pregnancy. Although with my first I was sick for 27 weeks. I haven't been sick this time.

My husband and I are convinced it's because I stopped drinking lol. Wine puts on the pounds!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I lost 10-15 pounds during the first tri with my first two pregnancies. I wouldn't worry too much about just a couple of pounds.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm down about 7 pounds and I am not worried because I gained a ton at the end of my pregnancy with my son. If you have a real concern I would ask your doctor but not worry like everyone else has said