June 2017 Moms
Options

Mental Health

erinh84erinh84 member
edited December 2016 in June 2017 Moms
Hi ladies. I'm still fairly new to the June BMB. I was part of the N15 board, so I somewhat know the layout and such. I noticed from lurking on another BMB that they have a mental health check in day. I searched the June board, but didn't find much on the subject. Please feel free to let me know if this has been discussed before. I hate to be that annoying person.

anyway, I have bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder. Although I am choosing to stay on my meds this pregnancy, as opposed to first pregnancy, I'm still having a rough time. I tend to have far more manic episodes while pregnant, which makes the depression cycle 10 times worse after an episode.

Anyway, I feel like it would really help to talk to other ladies going through similar situations regarding mental health. If anyone has any suggestions on what day we could post a Mental Health thread(it doesn't neccesarily need to be a weekly thing)even let me know if you think it's too much or a bad idea. I know we already have a lot of posts going on throughout the week.

Thanks ladies. I've really enjoyed being a part of June '17. Also, I like that we have some snark on this board. It always make my day.

edit:because words

Re: Mental Health

• Options
    Hey @erinh84 ~ appreciative of you bringing this to board and sharing your story. Sorry to hear about the increase manic episodes and especially the greater dips following, that's rough.  Kudos to you for figuring out the best self-care for yourself re: meds.  I work in mental health, and I also experience a fair amount of anxiety endemic to my personality, which as it wears on me can lower my mood.  I'm grateful that pregnancy doesn't seem to be increasing it, nor a source of it.  I think my yoga and meditation practices help a lot with keeping it manageable.
    Me: 34, FTM, DH: 34
    BFP: 9/30/16, EDD: 6/9/17
  • Options
    Hi @erinh84 - Another N15er here.  I think this has been discussed sporadically in less focused threads, so I think starting something more central is a great idea.  I'm certain a lot of ladies here might take comfort in chatting with other going through similar things.  Sorry to hear you're still having a rough time.  I hope some ladies here can chime in and commiserate with you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. You all seem like a really supportive group of people and it's really nice to know I'm not alone. I'm glad you think it's a good idea @Elyse1384
  • Options
    I am always afraid that I will be a downer to the the threads if I respond with my mental health triggers. It would be GREAT to have a thread where we can talk to other women who understand what we're going through.

We can try weekly and if it's getting too slow we can change to monthly. I'm all for going with the flow on this

• Options
    I think this is a good idea. I have s few mental health issues that are really heightened by pregnancy, and I'm never sure where to post about them, because I'm honestly afraid I'll be flamed over it. 
  • Options
    @hjphillips I have definitely had those same fears.

I would be happy to post a Mental Health thread most likely next week after Christmas. We can just play it by ear and see how it goes and then decide how often to post from there. Does that sound good for everyone?
  • Options
    I think that would be a good idea. I got postpartum depression and PTSD after DS was born, so I have been feeling more fear and anxiety with this pregnancy and hoping history won't repeat itself. It would nice to have a place to talk about it. DH is very supportive but he doesn't fully understand.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    I think that's a great idea @erinh84 I would participate. I had PPD and anxiety after my daughter was born and am really nervous about my family and myself going through that again.
  • Options
    I think this is a great idea and I appreciate you feeling comfortable to open those lines of communication with us.

I suffer from PTSD as a result of my time in the military and Iraq. My treatment at the VA has been less than stellar, so right now I'm not medicated, though I've taken Prozac in the past. I've also dealt with PPD after DD2. 

I'm cool with a weekly thread or whatever the rest feel cool with.

@hjphillips, I'm so sad that you thought you'd be flamed. I don't think many boards take mental health issues lightly. I'm always willing to listen.
  • Options
    @Stankonia2014 thank you. I'm never sure how people will take it. My anxiety is so amplified and I wish there were more therapists in my city so I could actually get an appointment, but hopefully until then, talking about it could help. 
  • Options
    @hjphillips By now I'm sure you've noticed that I'm one of the more obnoxious, sarcastic posters who takes some things a bit less seriously (aka Masshole), but mental health issues are one thing I do take seriously and would never flame anyone for.  It saddens me you felt your posts might be flamed, but I can guarantee that I am a complete judgement free zone on that front.  I personally am fortunate to not currently (or in the past) suffer from mental health issues, but I have family members and friends who do and if nothing else I'm always happy to be a sounding board and support system.  I hope you soon feel more comfortable opening up in this kind of forum.  
  • Options
    @Elyse1384 I think some of my worry comes from how people with gender disappointment are viewed, and while logically I know an inability to be happy about a pregnancy due to mental health is different, anxiety mucks things up.
  • Options
    I'm glad this is getting started. As another one who dealt with PPD after my first child, it played a huge factor in having another. I'm on meds now and I've continued with therapy. Hoping that i can prevent this from happening again, or at least it won't be as bad. 

• Options
     I'm so glad the mental health check in is getting started. I have a long history of mental health problems in my family, and in 2016 mine seemed to bubble up. Since going through three  miscarriages this year, my anxiety with this pregnancy is through the roof. I also saw a therapist over the summer and fall for anxiety and depression, and it would be great to have people to talk to now go totally get it.

Thanks again for starting this, it's a really important topic! 
  • Options
    I'm so glad this thread is getting a lot of good feedback. It's also good to know we're not alone in this. Thank you for sharing everyone. I'm excited to start the thread next week.
  • Options
    So glad to see this thread! I was thinking of starting one but aimed more towards meds during pregnancy. I have had anxiety and depression since high school. So 15 years now! It's been on and off and as I got older the anxiety increased and depression decreased. I have been on 20mg Celexa for about a year and a half and my OB said to continue it through the pregnancy. When I first found out I was pregnant I would have a panic attack every night. Now that has gotten better, especially since my morning sickness has gone away. I'm bad and am on meds without being in therapy! I've done therapy a lot on and off and haven't ever gotten much out of it. Plus it's expensive! 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This would be great! I have anxiety and feel like a downer when I mention it in other threads. Thanks for bringing this up, @erinh84
  • Options
    I am another high anxiety mamma and it would be nice to have some support here.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Options
    I have anxiety and depression that I deal with. The anxiety came about in being my dads sole caregiver. I'm not on medication. My doctors are aware of my issues. I'm in counseling via my church and I love my counselor. I am worried about getting ppd after I give birth. I do have an awesome support system which I know not everyone has. I'm glad this thread was started. 
  • Options
    Great idea! I also suffered from ppd/ anxiety with my son. I don't want to go through that again. Not on meds, but I'm an overall anxious person as well. 
  • Options
    I would love to talk about it. I have a history of depression and went off of my meds before ttc. I'm starting to wonder if that was a good idea. The emotions of pregnancy mixed with the total lack of motivation/passion has made the holidays difficult. 
    I'm considering joining a study regarding depression during pregnancy. My sister sent me some links but I haven't looked into it yet. 
  • Options
    kcrocetto27kcrocetto27 member
    edited December 2016
    Thank you for starting this! I have major depression and anxiety, not on medication. I have to say, I've spent most of these past 16 weeks filled with dread, I often don't want to talk about the baby and I'm convinced that there is something wrong. I know this is the anxiety rearing it's ugly head, but I'm really hoping that my scan next week will ease my fears. This is my first pregnancy and my 12 and 8 week scans were perfect, but I'm just constantly feeling like bad news is around the corner. Hopefully 16 weeks will give me ease of mind and I can't wait to start feeling his kicks. 
  • Options
    I love the idea of a mental health thread.  I suffered from severe depression in my third trimester last time so I'm nervous about it happening with this pregnancy.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    @kcrocetto27 I have very similar issues my anxiety centers around. Just be aware that after having the baby your anxieties can morph into something wild and can be crippling. My son is almost 20 months and I still am trying to get a handle on some of my post partum anxiety issues. 

I had heard so much about PPD but PPA (post partum anxiety) wasn't something I was aware of. It can be paralyzing. I was so thankful for a group of moms like this that helped me identify and talk through these issues and make me realize that I wasn't alone. 

Edit: spelling 
  • Options
    Thank you so much for sharing, I think I'll have a heart to heart with the hubby soon to talk about PPA and to start making some plans just in case.