January 2017 Moms

Freezer Meals

I didn't see a thread for this on the past few pages, but given that we're all near the very end of our pregnancies and a lot of us are in final nesting mode, it seemed like we could have a place for sharing freezer meal and/or slow cooker recipes for things we're making. 

Re: Freezer Meals

• @canavara the smoothie prep is a great idea! Do you add ice or anything when you blend it?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @Kurtni Assuming you put it in the freezer and prepare it straight from the freezer, no ice needed! The frozen banana and strawberry serves as the "ice" without watering it down.
  • I did something very similar for smoothies. Also will add flax seed to mine before blending. I found a good recipe for oatcakes as breastfeeding snacks. I'll post the recipe later. I made two batches and froze them. They'll be easy to quickly heat up in the microwave.
  • So how many meals are you guys making? I'm planning my meals today and I'll be shopping/freezing tomorrow. I'm thinking 5-6 meals. It's just my husband and I, I figure that should last us a few weeks.
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • canavaracanavara member
    edited December 2016
    I'm aiming for 5 dinner meals total (each about 5-6 servings). It wasn't intentional, but I ended up with 8"x8" foil tins so each meal is split across 2 tins, turning it into 2 meals haha--so 10-12 meals just by virtue of separating each individual meal. Also prepped 2 different breastfeeding "snacks."

I saw someone I know from the December board on Instagram prepping breakfast sandwiches, which sounds like a smart idea (looked like biscuit + cheese + egg + bacon), so maybe that as well if there's time--which is a weird delicate balance. I put off making my freezer meals until I was 38 weeks and kind of regret it now because I have to sit down to rest like every 10 minutes I'm up lol. If you're starting around 36 weeks, you're probably in a better place!
  • ^ this! I'm only 35 weeks but I had to start keeping a little stool in the kitchen because I get tired so quickly. What gives, body??

Im still thinking about the best way to plan freezer meals because I have low tolerance for leftovers. I get tired of food after eating it twice. The breakfast sandwich idea is glorious, especially since Breakfast for Dinner is one of mankind's best inventions. Am also thinking of making a couple different types of chickpea curry, chicken pot pie, and some soup bases into which I can just through some fresh greens like spinach or kale after defrosting.
  • @MaryNog I'm with you...breakfast, yum!
    I'm going to make a couple different kinds of breakfast cookies and not bake them, but freeze them.  I figure they'll be great for my DD's, DH, and me some mornings.  I also plan to make and freeze (before baking) cinnamon rolls for weekends.  I usually make the pioneer woman's freezable waffles, too.
  • I'm a big once a month cooker anyway, so I felt super prepared then heartburn that makes me want to die kicked in and I haven't cooked in weeks so I maybe have like 5 meals in the freezer. But if by breastfeeding snacks we mean Christmas cookies, then yes, I have lots of those in the freezer!
  • I haven't made any! My plan is that with my mom, my step mom and MIL all within 5mins from my house that they will just offer dinner a couple times a week for the first few weeks! (They were good about that during first trimester when i was always nauseous) DH is a good cook so will rely on him for the other nights! 
  • @lindsladle15 CINNAMON ROLLS! Genius!
  • Can you post some recipes for some of these? Or links? I wanted to freeze meals with my first and we didn't have the space to, but this time around its happening lol also the breastfeeding snack recipes would be glorious! I have a tea and extra vitamins but I want anything I can use to keep my production up so I can actually pump this time around!

• We won't be making any meals ahead of time. For 1 we don't have the freezer space and 2 H will be home the first 3-4wks and he's a good cook. 
  • I shared this with the group on Facebook already but: https://www.howsweeteats.com/2015/02/lactation-cookies/

These are chocolate chip lactation cookies and they taste just as good as normal cookies! The active ingredients are brewer's yeast and flaxseed meal, so make sure you have those two things (and don't sub them!) and you'll have good lactation support from them. I think you can also make them with yogurt or applesauce in lieu of all that butter if you're looking for fewer calories.
  • canavara said:
    I shared this with the group on Facebook already but: https://www.howsweeteats.com/2015/02/lactation-cookies/

These are chocolate chip lactation cookies and they taste just as good as normal cookies! The active ingredients are brewer's yeast and flaxseed meal, so make sure you have those two things (and don't sub them!) and you'll have good lactation support from them. I think you can also make them with yogurt or applesauce in lieu of all that butter if you're looking for fewer calories.
    This is probably a dumb ?, but where could I get brewer'S yeast?
  • @lindsladle15 They sell it at whole foods! You might have to ask a store employee where it is because it was in a totally non-obvious place when I went (next to protein powder for some reason!). They also sell it at vitamin stores sometimes. And if you really can't find it, I think they also sell it on Amazon :)
  • litzi-2litzi-2 member
    edited December 2016
    MaryNog these look amazing!!
  • Omg!!! @canavara  egg mcmuffins!! Such a good idea!! I'm adding those to my bext round of meals to make! !

Pregnancy Ticker
  • PSA: I made one batch of egg mcmuffins and one batch of breakfast wraps recently for hubby's breakfasts. From frozen: the wraps heated (microwaved) much more easily/evenly; he found that the egg mcmuffins were still cold in the middle, while the rest was very hot. Also, the wraps stayed dry, while the English muffins got soggy after microwaving. Here's what I put in the wraps, we are going to make a whole bunch for when baby gets here! 
    -scrambled eggs (baked in muffin tray)
    -hash brown (those frozen flat ones)
    -sliced ham or diced breakfast sausage
    -diced red pepper or salsa 
    -shredded cheddar
    I just used regular flour tortillas, then wrapped them individually in Saran Wrap!
    **Also helps the reheating process if you take one out of freezer into the fridge the night before.  

• @LBLQ84 ehat did you wrap the mcmuffins in? I ready, if you heat them in the microwave, to wrap them in parchment paper and heat while it's still wrapped. I already wrapped and froze all mine, so hopefully that makes a difference.... but I love your idea of egg wraps!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We make (non frozen) egg mcmuffins and breakfast tacos all the time.  One of the secrets to making them good when you heat or reheat them in a microwave is sitting them on a wet paper towel.  This works especially well with tortillas.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @HJMorgan I used Saran to wrap but took off the wrapper to reheat on a plate. I'll try parchment next time!!