October 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 12.19.16

Re: Weekly Randoms 12.19.16

• Options
    Last week was my first full week back at work and I was so exhausted and doubting my momming abilities by the end of the week. But this weekend I got to celebrate my birthday with a little wine and sushi and I had a super productive day yesterday. Also, I'm convinced that Willow's weight gain issues are related to her inefficient bottle-feeding skills. I decided to relax about it this weekend and she gained 4 ounces in 2 days. I gave my mom a different bottle to try and told her to try and dream feed Willow. Hopefully that makes a difference. 
  • Options
    It's crazy how feeding is so difficult. @ball4768 hope everything works out
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 Thanks, I hope so too. She's such a roly-poly little thing- it just amazes me that she's actually on the smaller side. Her pediatrician wants us to supplement with formula, but I think the real issue is that she doesn't take a bottle very well and now that I'm back at work, she has a lot more bottle feeds. I've done a ton of research and consulted a good friend who is also a pediatrician, and the consensus is that she will just figure it out eventually and there isn't much that I can do about it until then. 
  • Options
    Even though we aren't experts we still have mother's intuition so I would def go with what you think is best. The different bottle will probably make a difference especially since she did so well over the weekend. This is part of the reason maternity leave should be a year. It takes much longer than 6-16 weeks to figure things out. And with these so called sleep regressions that they have throughout the year, how are we supposed to manage at work on no sleep.  
  • Options
    LO has a cold and is super congested and coughing at night... Which means I lay there awake listening to his every move cringing bc I just want to pick him up and hold him but I need him to sleep in his bed. I hate that he's feeling so cruddy, meanwhile I discovered that my 4yo has been getting up in the middle of the night again bc H busted him at 1:30am last night sliding down our stairs. Ugh, I'm so frustrated and tomorrow is the start of preschool Christmas break.
  • Options
    Two questions...what is a good pacifier besides the soothie?  LO has a hard time holding the soothie in her mouth. Also at what age can you place baby down and they won't cry within 5 mins? H thinks I'm spoiling LO because i pick her up when she starts crying. I let her fuss a little bit but I've read that you can't spoil a newborn so I get her before she really starts crying. 
  • Options
    Two questions...what is a good pacifier besides the soothie?  LO has a hard time holding the soothie in her mouth. Also at what age can you place baby down and they won't cry within 5 mins? H thinks I'm spoiling LO because i pick her up when she starts crying. I let her fuss a little bit but I've read that you can't spoil a newborn so I get her before she really starts crying. 
    We like the Dr. Brown pacifiers, but it might be worthwhile to pick up a few different ones to see what your LO prefers. 
    You're right that you can't spoil a newborn, but I think responding to a baby's cry depends on your own personality and parenting style. I try to respond as quickly as possible, but I don't think there's any harm in letting my LO cry for a bit if I can't get to her right away. 
  • Options
    I heard that IKEA is starting to offer 4 months parental leave to both mothers and fathers... you guys, the US very may just catch up with the rest of the industrialized world in the next decade! I believe other companies will start to follow suit eventually.
  • Options
    You can't spoil
  • Options
    I'm sorry dumb phone .
    Anyway you can't spoil a baby whether it's two months or 1 year's old , I don't let my baby cry for a second . My friend knows my son's feet won't even touch the ground with how many people will run to him if he so much as makes a peep. It breaks my heart to hear him cry .
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid I hope you're right. The US branch of the corporation I used to work for changed their maternity leave policy to 12 weeks paid. It's too bad I left the company before I got pregnant!
    I've been thinking about you Ally. How are things going? 
  • Options
    @ball4768 That would have been nice I'm sure! I think larger companies will adjust their leave as well to try to keep up with their competitor, but I wouldn't bank on small companies coming around for a long time. I do believe that EVENTUALLY the US will adopt similar policies to those of other industrialized countries, and what IKEA is doing now is huge first step, and will help make this issue more public and more of a hot topic in the near future :)

As for myself, I am pretty bummed out honestly. There is just So. Much. Going on... 
  • Options
    @ball4768 That would have been nice I'm sure! I think larger companies will adjust their leave as well to try to keep up with their competitor, but I wouldn't bank on small companies coming around for a long time. I do believe that EVENTUALLY the US will adopt similar policies to those of other industrialized countries, and what IKEA is doing now is huge first step, and will help make this issue more public and more of a hot topic in the near future :)

As for myself, I am pretty bummed out honestly. There is just So. Much. Going on... 
    I hate that you're bummed out. Do you have another court date soon? I know you have a birthday this month- has that already happened? Maybe having something to look forward to would help. 
  • Options
    It's alright, life comes with trials and tribulations right? We have court again on the 5th, so we'll see what happens then. I have a birthday on the 23rd, but honestly it is not at all a priority and I'd rather just forget it. Between Johnny's NICU stay and all this crap, we're broke. And every penny we have that doesn't go to bills and groceries is going to the kids' Christmas presents. The only reason we're even scraping by now is because my landlord knows what's going on and isn't charging us rent right now. She is letting us back pay our missed months when we get our taxes in, so that's super cool of her. I just want to fast forward and get this overwith.
  • Options
    I have all these dreams of things I'm going to accomplish when LO falls asleep and I lay her down for a "nap". Then reality sinks in 2 mins later when she wakes up  :/
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid I'm glad to hear that your landlord is helping you out with delaying rent.  Hugs to you lady, I hope you guys have a great Christmas. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid I'm glad that your landlord is giving you a break at least. I'm so sorry that all of this is happening at once. You are such a strong and positive person though and I know you will make it through this storm. Hang in there friend!
  • Options
    @BabySunshine4 @ball4768 Thank you ladies, sorry to be the Debbie Downer of the board lately! I just don't really feel comfortable talking to anybody else about this, you know? I just feel like mentioning anything related to CPS just gives off the wrong impression to people. I know it did for me for the longest time.
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid Sorry you're going through all of this... And on top of it being the holidays it certainly doesn't help. I'm hoping and praying that you guys can still have a good holiday with your babies and get some more answers in the new year. Life is really complicated sometimes, so I think we all understand that... Hugs. 
  • Options
    Now that I'm back at work and in front of a computer all day, I'm hoping to be back around the bump more.

@AllyTheKid I'm just trying to catch up in here, so I don't know too much of what's going on, but I'm sending you hugs. That's really great for your land lady to let you postpone your rent. I'm sure that's at least one big weight off of your shoulders. Hang in there <3

Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    Also I just got so confused looking for the UO thread for this week only to realize... it's only wednesday.
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    Thank you ladies, thank you very much ♡

Oh! Congratulations to you @ball4768 for posting a GIF! ;)
  • Options
    Thank you ladies, thank you very much ♡

Oh! Congratulations to you @ball4768 for posting a GIF! ;)
    I was absurdly proud of myself for that accomplishment.  :p
  • Options
    Is there a 2 month growth spurt?? LO has wanted to nurse all day and is cranky  :'(
  • Options
    Is there a 2 month growth spurt?? LO has wanted to nurse all day and is cranky  :'(
    Yep between 7 1/2-9 1/2 weeks they go through their 2nd leap. Hope it passes quickly for you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    So I'm not sure if I'm overdressing/underdressing or correctly dressing LO. I live in FL so it's still above 70 degrees.  In my house the temp says 74 but it actually feels warmer so I turn on the ceiling fan. LO's body always feels so warm and when she's skin to skin on us she sweats. Normally I put her in a onesie during the day and at night I just swaddle her in her diaper. I do this because she seems hot. I'm always checking her temperature because of this and it's always normal. I always read that people are putting baby in a night gown and a fleece sleep sack. That just seems excessive to me. But they could be in a cooler climate. 
  • Options
    If you can feel that your LO is warm, and she is happy and content, being in a warmer climate you definitely do not need to bundle up the babe for bedtime :)
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 I live in FL too and I'm always worried that LO is too warm cause the back of her head will sweat when we hold her sometimes. Her core temp always feels okay though and I make sure to keep the AC or temp at 74 or lower. For sleep she wears a fleece sleep sack with just a onsie under it and I turn the air down a couple degrees.
  • Options
    Kittens22Kittens22 member
    edited December 2016
    I have the opposite problem... I always feel like we are under dressing LO especially when we are at home!  we live in Canada but are in Vancouver so it's not even below freezing outside, but our landlord turns the heat down pretty low between 1-5 am. So when  I get up to feed DS I have noticed his hands and feet are cold. We were putting him in a sleepsack with just diaper, then added a onesie and socks. Now that we swaddle he sleeps in a onesie, socks and the muslin and just his nose gets a bit cold. During the day I am constantly checking his feet and hands and adding layers as necessary.  
  • Options
    @Kittens22 I believe it's normal for their hands and feet to be cold. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that their circulation isn't that great yet and that's what causes it. But If their belly doesn't feel cold they should be ok. My LO just always feels like she's burning up.