September 2016 Moms
Options

"Nursing Strike"

I went back to work full-time on Monday, December 5th. That next Thursday (the 15th), Baby Girl refused to nurse. I'm talking high-pitched screaming, tears rolling down her face, slapping, arching her back, pushing away refusal. I spoke with a lactation consultant, who told me that many times when moms go back to work, babies go on "nursing strikes," refuse to nurse, and for me to just power through it. 

Anyone else deal with this? She hasn't nursed since Thursday because I can't bring myself to "power through" her screaming crying for more than 5 minutes. I'm still pumping, but I really want to continue nursing. Any advice?! 

Re: "Nursing Strike"

• Options
    Ugh, that sucks! We did have one day of refusal after daycare started. Made me question my supply, but it was fine. I ended up giving her only an ounce in a bottle to take the edge off, then she latched. I've also noticed she'll get mad at me after daycare because the milk isn't coming fast enough out of me like it does the bottle.  
    Maybe try offering the boob before she gets hungry? Just as a comfort thing?
  • Options
    Xavier did that for a day but it was out the one breast. It was the weirdest thing. He is fine now though. Hope it figures itself out for you soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lurking from oct 16. The arching of the back and screaming could mean she has reflux. Does she spit up a lot and have green poop?  I found out my LO has reflux and she was doing those same things. 
  • Options
    No on the spitting up, sometimes on the poop. But I attribute that to my diet--I eat a lot of greens. Not even sure if that's an indicator. 

I stayed home from work Monday and she nursed perfectly. Then when I went back to work, she refused to nurse again. I'm thinking she just wants me home!  :|