To crib or not to crib, small house problems. - Page 2 — The Bump
June 2017 Moms

To crib or not to crib, small house problems.

2»

Re: To crib or not to crib, small house problems.

• I have been reading through this thread and have found the advice, especially seeing how each baby/family is different, very helpful. I have a question for those of you who had baby in a rock and play to sleep.... clearly a FTM here, but are they on an incline? I thought I remembered reading something about how baby needs to be on a completely flat surface? Also, for those of you who transitioned your LO into their own room at 3-4 months, with the guidelines about baby needing to be sleeping with parents until around a year old would you do anything differently this time?
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I feel like this info would also assist in the crib/sleeping arrangement area for a lot of us. 
    sejicaHgPa
  • @alm52386 We bought a rock n' play the third day DD was home. She would not sleep in anything else, and it was the biggest life saver. She slept in that for 3 months. We still have ours, but I'm considering buying another one since they automatically rock now. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
    sejica
  • Loading the player...
  • kassyfrykassyfry
    500 Love Its 500 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    MKRLTX said:
    I have been reading through this thread and have found the advice, especially seeing how each baby/family is different, very helpful. I have a question for those of you who had baby in a rock and play to sleep.... clearly a FTM here, but are they on an incline? I thought I remembered reading something about how baby needs to be on a completely flat surface? Also, for those of you who transitioned your LO into their own room at 3-4 months, with the guidelines about baby needing to be sleeping with parents until around a year old would you do anything differently this time?
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I feel like this info would also assist in the crib/sleeping arrangement area for a lot of us. 
    @MKRLTX My son slept in a crib in our room until 6 weeks. I went back to work at 8 weeks. I work crazy hours and sometimes leave the house really early (before 6am). I didn't want my alarm clock waking him up. Also he and I slept better when we moved him to his own room. I was hearing every little noise he mad in the night and waking up to check on him. That would wake him up. 

We practiced all of the safe sleeping things so I was comfortable with having a 8 week old in his own room in his own crib. 

Something I would think about for those of you saying you will bed share and or use a rock and play, what will your little one do at daycare? My daycare is  a small in home daycare but she is a stickler on safe sleep and all babies must nap in a crib. I don't know what other places want or expect, just curious as I'm not familiar with daycare center thought processes. 

Edited to add: I realized I didn't answer your question. We will do the same for this babe as well. Even though the guidelines say one year now. I think you should do what's best for you, your baby, and your family. 
  • @kassyfry DD was in daycare about a week before she ever slept in her crib at home, and she napped there just fine.  They would try to get them to nap in their cribs, but if they fell asleep in a swing, they would leave them there.  I don't actually know where she slept at the beginning but by the 4 month mark or so, they were putting her down awake in her crib and she would put herself to sleep.

@MKRLTX that is a brand new guideline this year, so most of us with existing children didn't even think to make sure the crib was in our room with us for a full year.  DD was in the napper attachment of a PNP next to our bed for about 13 weeks, and then she grew out of it so we moved her to her crib.  Her crib is technically in a separate room, but it's a sunroom within our master suite with no door between it and our bedroom (just a hallway), so we can almost say she's still in our room I guess.  I believe that the guideline's intention is that the parents are close enough to hear and check on a baby that seems to be in distress.  We have a video monitor next to my side of the bed and am an extremely light sleeper, I keep it on loud volume all night even though if DD was crying, I'd hear her without it.  Mostly because I like her white noise machine and it blocks out the sound of DH snoring.  I assure you I heard her every time she stirred, especially at the beginning, and I went in to check on her OFTEN.  I seriously continued putting a hand on her back while she slept, at least once a night, until like 3 months ago (she's 18 months now). 

I had no doubt that if she was in distress I'd hear her, but also, by the time she moved into her crib at about 14 weeks, she was able to lift her head and she was never swaddled, so if she got trapped on her belly she wouldn't have had a problem pushing herself up and screaming for us.  I can confirm that, because there was a two week period where she could roll back to front but not yet front to back and she did that a LOT because she was mad that she was trapped.  As soon as she could roll both ways, she started sleeping on her belly happily.  I still put her into the crib on her back and she immediately rolls over to her belly.

All that said - DD really liked the space in her own crib, and the quiet of her own room.  I plan to do the same with this baby, but it might work out differently.  She might be smaller (DD was a giant) and be able to stay in the PNP napper for longer, she might be a really light sleeper and need to be in her own room earlier, she might want to co-sleep.  But ideally I think we'd do it the same way as we did the first time around.  It really worked for all of us.  Especially the fact that she was so so close to us - it made night feedings really easy.

Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married 5-31-14
    DD1 born 6-21-15
    DD2 born 6-11-17
    DS born 9-5-18

• @MKRLTX I hadn't even realized the guidelines changed, so thanks for letting us know! We will probably keep this baby in our room a little longer this time because we now live in a two story house with the kids rooms upstairs. Hopefully we won't need to use the rock n' play for sleeping this time, and baby will sleep in the bassinet of the pack n' play. 

The rock n' plays are inclined on the sides. They are not ideal for sleeping at night, but with DD it was literally the only thing that worked. If you laid her on anything flat, she woke up immediately. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I definitely second the IKEA idea. We have a small house too and we bought our DS a crib from there. It's on the smaller side and also a great price. Just my two cents. Good luck!