July 2017 Moms
Options

VBAC after 2 c sections

Has anyone ever done it?

Re: VBAC after 2 c sections

• Options
    My doc won't let me try. Says I'm not a candidate. Good luck to you!!!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    I'm going to ask my doctor on Monday
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cssme13cssme13 member
    edited December 2016
    I think generally they don't allow you to, it doesn't hurt to ask but just be prepared for them to say no. My OB already told me my hospital won't allow the risk so I'll be a 3rd time c-section.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    I'm also not a good candidate for a vbac, but my OB says there is a list that most doctors follow.  I did have a friend from college have a vbac after 2 c-sections, but it ended in some complications.

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
    2 Rainbow DDs L-10/26/10 and A-03/27/14
    2 Angels- 10/26/09 and 02/03/15
    Surprise BFP on 10/25/16!!! Baby Firecracker is due on 07/02/17! 
  • Options
    My OB will not allow it. I had one attempted VBAC after the first c-section, but obviously ended up with two c-sections, and I will have a third scheduled c-section this time around. My OB told me she doesn't want me to go past 39 weeks. I think the risk of rupture is significant enough for most doctors to be overly cautious.
  • Options
    Ya I don't think most will allow it. I was a candidate for for my second due to extreme tearing with #1. Your uterus gets weaker each pregnancy and more scar tissue so the risk gets higher each time. 
  • Options
    I have not done it.  I've had 3 cesareans so I'm now cesarean for life.  I know a few folks who found OBs who let them attempt a VBA2C, but even fewer of them were successful.  From my optic (I am not a doctor), it's not really worth the risk.  

I had a rupture along my scar during my second labor, and I wasn't even dilated.  For me, a planned cesarean (not that any of my recent ones have gotten to the planned stage) let you figure out childcare for your other LOs ahead of time.  With the new development in the last 6 years for cesareans (where the muscles are spread instead of cut) the recovery isn't as bad as it used to be. 
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm a good candidate but the hospital won't allow it, it's too risky.
  • Options
    I'd like to try so I'm going to ask my doctor on Monday but I've never seen this doctor before so I'm sure ill be shot down
  • Options
    I tried for a VBAC,  but it didn't work out for me.  I had to go to a midwife from a birthing center since the hospitals didn't allow them.  While there, a lady with my same due date was trying for a VBA2C.  She did do it successfully,  but hemorrhaged and was rushed to the hospital.  The birthing center got in a lot of trouble for letting her do it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Not many good stories. I wanted to do it BC with c sections the most amount of kids u can have is like 3 maybe 4 max that could mean this cld be my last child and I'd like to be the one who decides which one is my last one
  • Options
    Not many good stories. I wanted to do it BC with c sections the most amount of kids u can have is like 3 maybe 4 max that could mean this cld be my last child and I'd like to be the one who decides which one is my last one
    It depends on your OB.  The general rule of thumb in the UK  (via NHS) is 2 cesareans and you're done.  But if you work with your OB and wait long enough between pregnancies, you can safely have many more.  My OB told me that he just did a patient's 13th cesarean.  

And he hadn't even seen her through her whole pregnancy.  She just walked into the hospital one day and said she needed to deliver!  But he said it's even better with up-front medical care.  I've had 3 cesareans and a rupture along my tear line.  This will be my last pregnancy, but that's on me; my OBs say I can go on to have many more kids.  

The risk with multiple cesareans (or any pregnancy following a cesarean) is the small risk that your placenta will attack along the scar tissue.  In most cases, that can lead to a hysterectomy during delivery.  So it's not a great thing, but a VBAC doesn't protect you from that either.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • Options
    ^^ thank u for that I was told by my old doctor after 3 ur done I didnt know that was false
  • Options
    ^^ thank u for that I was told by my old doctor after 3 ur done I didnt know that was false
    It really depends on your doctor and hospital. My Dr will do a VBAC after multiple CSections, but he's the only one in the (fairly large) city who will do it.
  • Options
    Definitely let your OB know if it's something you're interested in.  They can do certain things that will make future deliveries less risky, like double sutchering your incision line.  That will reinforce it to be more durable in a subsequent pregnancy.  It's also good to wait 18 months between pregnancies/2 years between deliveries if you intend to have many kids.  But I've found OBs who are supportive of helping us, and it's made everything easier.    
  • Options
    I will be 10 days short of 2 years on my due date
  • Options
    I think others said it best, it depends on your OB. This will be my 3rd and I'm getting my tubes tied, but I could have another if I really wanted. My OB said he won't recommend going past 4.
  • Options
    When I had baby 2 my ob suggested only one more max 2 more pregnancies.
  • Options
    Our high risk doctors really don't recommend going past 4, and even then we have blood on standby for those patients. I've seen many 3+ sections where there is too much scar tissue and adhesions to find the tubes to tie during the surgery. Obviously I don't know any of your uteruses but that MAY be a possibility so always think of a birth control back up so that the thought doesn't overwhelm you if they tell you they couldn't tie your tubes.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    I've always been told that there's an increased risk of complications after four; however, I know several women who have had well over four. This will be my fourth, and most likely final, but my husband and I have always wanted four kids.
  • Options
    Our high risk doctors really don't recommend going past 4, and even then we have blood on standby for those patients. I've seen many 3+ sections where there is too much scar tissue and adhesions to find the tubes to tie during the surgery. Obviously I don't know any of your uteruses but that MAY be a possibility so always think of a birth control back up so that the thought doesn't overwhelm you if they tell you they couldn't tie your tubes.
    Oh no! That's a bummer to hear, but I'm glad I know now so I can start my research and plan for a backup in case this happens to me. I was planning on getting my tubes tied after this pregnancy. 3 kids is it for us and I thought getting my tubes tied would be the easiest birth control since they're already in there and I hate hormonal BC. 

Thanks for the heads up! 
  • Options
    This will most likely be my third c-section too, the doctors are suggesting I not try the VBAC, but I've also had other abdominal surgery due to endometriosis that spread to my abs from my last c-section.  Because of the potential scar tissue, they are sending me for a "special consult" ultrasound to check out what scar tissue is existing.  FWIW, that may be something your doctor may consider if you are considering an additional c-section past the "safe" number.  I have no idea what they will be able to see, but this doctor thought it would be worth while.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have had two previous c-sections, my first being an emergency and my second scheduled. At my last appt my ob said that since I have had two c-sections already I am not able to try for a VBAC this time around and we have to do a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks.