March 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 12/15

Re: UO Thursday 12/15

• Options
    Thanks so much for starting this @longliveregina! Work has been busy. 

I had a coworker like that - a fellow SPED teacher actually. She routinely worked late nights and came in during the weekend, yet still somehow was not on her game. I leave school by 3:45 (the time teachers are contractually allowed to leave) and occasionally need to work at home - but even then, it's not for the entire night. I do spend time on Sundays to plan but that's just so I get back in the mindset of teaching, and it's just a few hours out of my day. Either her time management skills sucked, or she was just not very efficient. Or both.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Gators&BoSox  I hear you. Role Models for boys with Disney, I think of movies like, Toy Story, Monsters
    ( friendship), Finding Nemo, Finding Dory (friendship, forgiveness), Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (friendship)
  • Options
    @disneybaby84 @Gators&BoSox Also Simba (responsibility) and Aladdin (uh... acknowledging when you're being a douche?? lol)

I've never realized that there are so few male role models in Disney that aren't animals.
  • Options
    @Gators&BoSox Truth! The only human semblance of a role model my son sees on TV is Jake from Jake and the Neverland Pirates. What makes it harder in our household is my little guy doesn't see many kids of color either so I have to be careful to make sure he's exposed to people of color being heroes too so he doesn't think only white kids are "the good ones." At least girls have people like Doc McStuffins and Elena, but boys get the shaft. I have to rely on books with diverse characters, which I have to specifically search for on Amazon. We still have a long way to go!
  • Options
    chrlyr said:
    @longliveregina Agreed. Sophie is a glorified dog toy. 

WTF is up with the shaming of parents who kiss their kids on the lips? I saw that Hilary Duff was recently shamed for it on IG when she posted a picture of her and her 4 year old. How is that weird or wrong or inappropriate in the slightest? When did parents and children showing affection to each other become taboo?

WTF? Really? I kiss my little boy on the mouth all the time and so does my husband. When did this become weird? Are people sexualizing this or something? What is wrong with people?!
  • Options
    I am so over this "gluten free, sugar free, organic, etc" nonsense. And don't get me started on the Whole 30 diet or shakes.

On top of that, I really don't think toddlers or kids should be on specific diets that limit any major food or food groups just because that is what you do. One mom friend only feeds her 1, almost 2 year old a pescatarian diet (with no dairy - this kid has never had cheese, regular milk, or yogurt before). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kiyamurph said:
    chrlyr said:

WTF is up with the shaming of parents who kiss their kids on the lips? I saw that Hilary Duff was recently shamed for it on IG when she posted a picture of her and her 4 year old. How is that weird or wrong or inappropriate in the slightest? When did parents and children showing affection to each other become taboo?

WTF? Really? I kiss my little boy on the mouth all the time and so does my husband. When did this become weird? Are people sexualizing this or something? What is wrong with people?!
    Some commenters are spewing BS about it causing a child to be unable to establish appropriate emotional boundaries as they get older. I mean, what? I think the people saying these things are the ones with issues to work out. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @CanadianintheSouth ugh I agree- I knew this girl who was paleo for awhile and had her daughter eating paleo too- took everything in my being not to say something like what the heck?!
  • Options
    @Spartanrd4 I know! I keep my mouth shut because it isn't my kid, and I figure her pediatrician would say something if it was affecting his development or growth. I cringe though every time I hear her talking about his diet.
  • Options
    kiyamurph said:
    chrlyr said:

I've said on here before: I'm personally not a fan of kissing on the lips, but that's more when it comes to extended family (unless the kid is the one initiating or its cultural or something) but if you're their parent--you do whatever the heck you want! 
  • Options
    I personally have no problem feeding my child a paleo type of diet. As long as the child is developing properly it's fine. You can get all the same nutrients from carbs and dairy from vegetables. Both my husband and I are lactose intolerant and my husband is sensitive to gluten (can have it, but only in small amounts). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't get the whole Ugly Christmas Sweater phenomenon & think U.C.S. parties are ridiculous. My workplace is having a U.C.S. day next week & I'm just like sorry I'm not spending money on a silly sweater I'll only wear once or twice, maternity size or not. 
    Yesss! I think the idea behind them could be fun... but half of the ones I've gone to I can't tell if the older women are wearing ugly Christmas sweaters or just their regular festive wardrobe! #awkward 
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    npaulie said:
    I personally have no problem feeding my child a paleo type of diet. As long as the child is developing properly it's fine. You can get all the same nutrients from carbs and dairy from vegetables. Both my husband and I are lactose intolerant and my husband is sensitive to gluten (can have it, but only in small amounts). 
    Agree with the bolded, which is why I keep my mouth shut IRL and stick to venting about it on the UO thread :smile:
  • Options
    wintersongwintersong member
    edited December 2016
    I am so over this "gluten free, sugar free, organic, etc" nonsense. And don't get me started on the Whole 30 diet or shakes.

On top of that, I really don't think toddlers or kids should be on specific diets that limit any major food or food groups just because that is what you do. One mom friend only feeds her 1, almost 2 year old a pescatarian diet (with no dairy - this kid has never had cheese, regular milk, or yogurt before). 
    On the plus side, the craze has really made life easier for people who legitimately have celiacs (eta: or a true gluten sensitivity) because they have so many more choices now. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My UO - if you're not willing to show your kid's faces online, then why post pictures of them with their faces covered by stickers? Makes no sense to me. Just don't post them.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @serenity13 I agree with you. It plucks my nerves. Mine is I hate when people send out emails saying please review the email that such and such sent out a few minutes ago. One of my AP's does that. I'm like I could check their email if you weren't constantly sending emails saying please look at someone else's email. And she also starts off every email with this is a friendly reminder. Um no it's not and saying this is a friendly reminder only pisses me off.

• Options
    Ok so I know it's not Thursday anymore but this uo was eating away at me and I have to get it off my chest. 

I ate my regular diet before the GD test. I believe I even just so happened to eat a bagel the morning of the day I went in  :o

My thinking is if I have GD the test will show me based off what I NORMALLY eat. My UO based on more than a few recent posts is that I don't think anyone should change their dicet a couple weeks before to "trick" the test and then go back to how they really eat. I don't even know if that actually works but if it did, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the test in the first place? Don't get me wrong I totally understand not wanting to have GD, I hear it is NOT fun. With that said I am eagerly awaiting my results to find out if I have it based on my usual way of life and if adjustments need to be made for the health of my baby I will happily adjust but at least I will know the results will be accurate according to the way I actually eat.
  • Options
    babyspice said:
    Ok so I know it's not Thursday anymore but this uo was eating away at me and I have to get it off my chest. 

I ate my regular diet before the GD test. I believe I even just so happened to eat a bagel the morning of the day I went in  :o

My thinking is if I have GD the test will show me based off what I NORMALLY eat. My UO based on more than a few recent posts is that I don't think anyone should change their dicet a couple weeks before to "trick" the test and then go back to how they really eat. I don't even know if that actually works but if it did, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the test in the first place? Don't get me wrong I totally understand not wanting to have GD, I hear it is NOT fun. With that said I am eagerly awaiting my results to find out if I have it based on my usual way of life and if adjustments need to be made for the health of my baby I will happily adjust but at least I will know the results will be accurate according to the way I actually eat.
    You know, I think people do that because the one-hour test is so inaccurate. For a real accurate measure you have to do a fasting test anyway. :/ I agree with you....eat normally for the onehour, and if you fail the 3 hour will confirm whether it was a fluke or not. 

The doctors office even told menottoeat a bunch of sugar or other carbs right before hand because it could mess up the test (not the other way around), so go figure. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Same ^^^ The midwives were the ones that said both fasting before AND eating sugar and high carb were ways that would give a false positive on the test.  So they were the ones that said day of to eat high protein, no sugars and low carb.  They asked again before drawing my blood if I had had any sugar, any fruit, any juice that day.  So: my unprofessional opinion, I presume that you can't trick the test, no matter how healthy you eat for days ahead of time-it's not a test to check the healthfulness of your diet - if your body has it, it's going to show no matter what you eat.
  • Options
    I ate my regular diet too and ate before my test and my test came back fine. So I think you either have it or you don't. 
  • Options
    This all makes a whole lot more sense. I was thinking why is everyone advising dietng before this test?! It seemed crazy especially since my doc never mentioned anything like that. Now I understand. Thanks y'all!