July 2017 Moms
Options

Parenting... you are doing it wrong

Time for a thread about some of our pregnancy/parenting fails

Re: Parenting... you are doing it wrong

• Options
    @Cait32 sushi is my guilty pleasure. I usually go for the shrimp tempura roll which is what dreams are made of
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dcwtada said:
    Today was humbling. 

Bath time for the toddlers was going well until I got them both out of the bath. I was quickly getting my 1 year old dressed while my 2 year old was wrapped in a towel. In the middle of that, the two year old pees on the floor. As I am hurrying to get the 1 year old dressed, the two year old managed to slip and fall in her own pee puddle - right after her bath.

My 1 year old has now also been scarred for life and Christmas. The two year old managed to pull down our Christmas tree (just a cheap, fake tree - we have toddlers after all) and she starts sobbing more because she knows she did something wrong. The one year old is pretty upset by this point. I start to put the tree upright and the top part which I am holding detaches so the tree falls and knocks me over, and I yelled because I was surprised. The 1 year old starts legit screaming and sobbing. It took 15 minutes of cuddling before he stopped crying and he is still side eyeing the tree every few minutes. 
    Oh man, what a difficult sequence of events!! (((Hugs))) Craziness like this has happened to be before, not exactly what happened to you, but when mine were still little (1 and 3ish) there was a simultaneous pooping on the floor and pooping in the bathtub followed by an hour of crying from both of them. Those days are the hardest!! I hope tomorrow is better for you and the kids!

• Options
    Dcwtada said:
    Today was humbling. 

Bath time for the toddlers was going well until I got them both out of the bath. I was quickly getting my 1 year old dressed while my 2 year old was wrapped in a towel. In the middle of that, the two year old pees on the floor. As I am hurrying to get the 1 year old dressed, the two year old managed to slip and fall in her own pee puddle - right after her bath.

My 1 year old has now also been scarred for life and Christmas. The two year old managed to pull down our Christmas tree (just a cheap, fake tree - we have toddlers after all) and she starts sobbing more because she knows she did something wrong. The one year old is pretty upset by this point. I start to put the tree upright and the top part which I am holding detaches so the tree falls and knocks me over, and I yelled because I was surprised. The 1 year old starts legit screaming and sobbing. It took 15 minutes of cuddling before he stopped crying and he is still side eyeing the tree every few minutes. 
    @Dcwtada - Hugs for a rough day although I have to say the bold part made me laugh!
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @SaphireSweetie88 I am pretty sure that's how the bad guy in fern gully got his start. 
  • Options
    @OperaSingerMommy I always feel like I am not doing enough, my babies aren't as advanced as other babies, I take more shortcuts, etc. etc. etc. 

We are all in the same boat, we are all scared we aren't doing enough and second guess everything. If your babies are happy nothing else matters - and I promise if they eat Mac and cheese and throw their poop across the room they are just as likely to get into Harvard as the kid that is reading at 2. 
  • Options
    Dcwtada said:
    @OperaSingerMommy I always feel like I am not doing enough, my babies aren't as advanced as other babies, I take more shortcuts, etc. etc. etc. 

We are all in the same boat, we are all scared we aren't doing enough and second guess everything. If your babies are happy nothing else matters - and I promise if they eat Mac and cheese and throw their poop across the room they are just as likely to get into Harvard as the kid that is reading at 2. 
    @Dcwtada - Ha! I love it :D
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @Dcwtada Hahaha, well we do eat a lot of Mac and cheese in this house but thankfully poop throwing isn't happening just yet (although maybe behold my future when she gets older?! Lol).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @OperaSingerMommy I'm pretty sure we all fake it for life.  For a minute I fooled myself into thinking that with #2 I should have it all figure out.  Went for coffee with my good friend who has 4 and she laughed and said she's still figuring shit out.  Maybe Michelle Duggar has this parenting thing mastered but the rest of us mere mortals are all faking that we have it together.
  • Options
    abmommy15 said:
    Parenting fail - we thought we were geniuses when we taught DS (16 months) to put things in the garbage.  Since then I have pulled so many things out of the garbage that I have lost count; phone, toys, keys....  Also once he became aware of the garbage it became a fun thing he wanted to play with.  The other day I dumped the remainder of his lunch into the garbage.  Washed his hands and face, released him from his high chair and then turned around to hang the washcloth.  In the 5 seconds my back was turned he scooped some shreddies out of the garbage and ate them...ugh. 
    Yep, my 14-month old throws everything away too, and she'll totally grab food out of the trash if I'm not watching. But she's getting a little better at discerning what is trash and what isn't. 
  • Options
    You ladies are cracking me up...Thanks for for all the laughs!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Is there a moment when you're supposed to feel like you're not making it up as you go along anymore?  DD is 13 months and I still totally feel like we're big fakers and that other parents have magical knowledge that we don't have.

Well, my kid is 2, so I'll let you know if I ever get to a point where I'm not consistently shocked that they actually allowed me to take her home from the hospital and continue to allow me to parent her.

I will say she's a trick baby. She's always been easy. With the exception of the fact that she still has a binky at night (and we have no idea how to get rid of it), she's just always sort of parented herself. She will play independently, then just come to us if she needs us for something. I just know my next child will be a complete shit show. That's how the universe works.

She has a tablet that she watches shit on and does little puzzles and shit. And, that's great, but man. I've just been like 'here, do you want your tablet?" for the past 3 weeks. We've all been sick, and I'm starting to get a little nauseous too now...plus...tired. So, basically, she continues to parent herself through this pregnancy.
      ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me: 35  DH: 38  |  Married: 6/2013  |  Pregnancy #1, APurp born 10/2014
    Pregnancy #2, BFP 6/4/2016, MMC at 9W, D&E: 7/21/16 | Pregnancy #3, BFP 11/22/16

Cravings Ticker 
  • Options
    abmommy15 said:
    Parenting fail - we thought we were geniuses when we taught DS (16 months) to put things in the garbage.  Since then I have pulled so many things out of the garbage that I have lost count; phone, toys, keys....  Also once he became aware of the garbage it became a fun thing he wanted to play with.  The other day I dumped the remainder of his lunch into the garbage.  Washed his hands and face, released him from his high chair and then turned around to hang the washcloth.  In the 5 seconds my back was turned he scooped some shreddies out of the garbage and ate them...ugh. 
    Yeah, it was useful when she would take the diapers and put them in the trash (which she doesn't do now, because that's yucky), but then she started just deciding what was trash and what wasn't, and we are missing so much shit now.
    Pregnancy #2, BFP 6/4/2016, MMC at 9W, D&E: 7/21/16 | Pregnancy #3, BFP 11/22/16

Cravings Ticker 
  • Options
    mrscate88 said:
    I fed my 14-month old ramen noodles for dinner and I'm lying on the couch watching Friends while she tears up baby wipes...I'm tired and nauseous, this will be life for awhile, and this is how we cope.  :)
    I have given my toddler an entire box of tissues before just to entertain her...it was worth it.

Cravings Ticker 
  • Options
    Earlier this week DS had a Christmas program for DC. It was at 6:30 at church close to DC. We recently moved, and live kind of far now, so we didn't go home in between. Just went to Olive Garden for dinner and then to the program. He was the ONLY kid still wearing the same clothes from DC. Every other kid was in dress clothes like bow ties, sweaters, or frilly Christmas dresses. My kid still had marker on his face from when he decided to color on himself at DC that day. 
  • Options
    I started the day off with intentions of putting the today show on for half and hour while I wake up a little bit/not feel like I'm going to hurl, and give DS his iPad to watch Mickey. That was 2 hours ago. He's playing games, singing, etc. I'm sitting here like ugh I need to parent today but I am so tired and feel so sick. It doesn't help he was up for 45 min last night asking me what I'm doing and if I could go find his buzz lightyear at 2am
  • Options
    morgarita said:
    Most embarrassing moment of my life happened this week. Ds always poops when we're swimming. So per usual he pooped and some chunks floated out of his swim diaper. I can't go back to the pool. 
    Hahaha!  Omg this is hilarious.  Did the life guards notice and shut down the pool to vacuum it out or did you just kind of sneak away?!  Lol!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @OperaSingerMommy I snuck away. I was too embarrassed. There was a father and son and I didn't hear them go into the family locker room behind me and I didn't see them at all so idk. I'm also embarrassed because I just ran away instead of dealing. If I dealt with it I would feel better about going back. I'm gonna dye my hair and buzz my sons head and maybe go back next month. Oh we pay for a membership at this gym. 
  • Options
    DS is way too familiar with an iPad and Netflix. The other day he was watching Jaws (he's 3) and I didn't even bother to turn it off, we are in the middle of moving (read: I'm in the middle of packing and cleaning everything and DH comes home and loads boxes onto our trailer) and he was out of my way so I didn't dare mess that up. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    We may order out too much.  I was watching a show with DS2 and the doorbell rang on the TV.  He jumped up excitedly, yelled "Pizza!!!", and ran to our front door.  

@Dcwtada When my H was out of town, every time I'd give the boys a bath, DS2 would run out of the room while I was helping DS1, go into his brother's room, squat, and poop on the carpet.  This entire process took <10 seconds.  I literally could not catch him.

@OperaSingerMommy I credit Daniel Tiger with 90% of our parenting successes.  Folks would always be so impressed that DS1 could calm himself down or get through a tough situation with a short song.  Mom Tiger has way more patience than I do; I'll take all the help I can get.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @xath Daniel tiger really? Definitely turning it on for ds today. 
  • Options
    @morgarita It's hands down my favorite kid show. I feel like every time we hit a challenge with DS1, Daniel Tiger came out with a new episode/song that absolutely addressed it.  We use the songs to help him calm down, use his words, try new foods, be a big helper, etc.  They even introduced a new sibling to the show when I was pregnant with DS2 and had several episodes dedicated to challenges that older siblings feel when that happens.

If you have Amazon Prime, most of the episodes are available for streaming with Prime Video.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @Cait32  I love to have Sushi! Funny enough even though I know its "common knowledge" to not have any, my OB during my first pregnancy wasn't really concerned with sushi as long as I limited my fish intake (because of mercury) and did not eat fish skin (because of toxins) and I ate sushi at places I already knew and trusted.  She was actually WAY more concerned with consuming salad and other uncooked vegetables at restaurants and told me to never do that while pregnant. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @SPurp13 Pacifier fairy. We talked about her, an then convinced him to try no pacifier for one night. He cried, but we kept reminding him how proud we would be if he could do it. He did. We made a big deal about it and he did a second night. When he made it through 2 nights, she came to take the pacis away and left him a present. DS was 3, so we were in emergency mode at that point, lol.

@Xath Daniel Tiger is my spirit animal lol
  • Options
    @SPurp13 Pacifier fairy. We talked about her, an then convinced him to try no pacifier for one night. He cried, but we kept reminding him how proud we would be if he could do it. He did. We made a big deal about it and he did a second night. When he made it through 2 nights, she came to take the pacis away and left him a present. DS was 3, so we were in emergency mode at that point, lol.

Yeah, my kid JUST turned 2. So...it's like...reason doesn't work yet. I'm thinking we'll try again in the spring...

Cravings Ticker 
  • Options
    @morgarita wait did you grab the poop first?!?
  • Options

When ours turned 3 we took the pacifiers and threw them in the woods behind our house and told her the baby birds needed them. worked like a charm!

Tonight I parent failed baby irds bribing my kid to eat dinner. she got 2 mini m&m and thought it was so awesome. I thought about doing more!
  • Options
    mrscate88mrscate88 member
    edited December 2016
    I didn't give my baby a bath for 4 days (almost 5)! We've been so sick here and my husband was in a bad car accident, so I just don't have my usual strength. I never would've thought bathing a baby could drain your energy like running a marathon!

ETA: We only wash our hair once a week around here anyway, so that was no biggie to me. But at night, the noodles that were stuck in her hair seemed to grow arms and wave at me! 
  • Options
    Sushi is one of very few the semi-healthy things I can stomach right now. Research is showing that salmonella makes me sick but not the baby, and I'm fine with that. 
  • Options
    Sushi is one of very few the semi-healthy things I can stomach right now. Research is showing that salmonella makes me sick but not the baby, and I'm fine with that. 
    My OB actually said I can eat sushi, which I was really surprised about.  The only thing she told me to watch for is not to eat too much tuna because of the mercury content.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Options
    My ob said the same about sushi. His exact words "What do you think women in Japan eat?" Fine by me.
  • Options
    My ob said the same about sushi. His exact words "What do you think women in Japan eat?" Fine by me.
    I think I'm taking your OB's approach. Mine takes a hardline to EVERYTHING- not even a sip of red wine is allowed. Frankly, I find it a bit patronizing and overblown in light of the risk. I had sushi for lunch on Monday with no regrets. I am avoiding high mercury fish and only eating it from restaurants I know and have been going to for years.