October 2016 Moms

Baby Sleep

13»

Re: Baby Sleep

• @Ladybug2821 so my LO is still in my room and we didn't have a good nap space for him since we tried our room, guest room and nothing. He also sleeps in a RNP and a little over a month ago I cut out using the vibration feature, but he would never nap more than 30 minutes so I started looking on Pinterest for ideas to transition LO to his crib. I decided that trying naps first would be easiest since he's sleeping so well at night and I didn't want to risk ruining that... so one thing I read was to create a cozy space in the crib that makes them cozy like the RNP. So I rolled up a beach towel in a U-shape and put it under the crib sheet. I hung blackout curtains so it's completely dark, and I do all the same things I do at bedtime... so white noise, darkness, and swaddle... so I rock him for just a minute or two and lay him down. He usually sleeps about 60-90 minutes usually only waking bc he lost his binky or he's hungry... but also I let him cry. I make sure he's safe, in a dry diaper, clean, fed and if he cries, I let him cry. I make sure he's ok, give him his binky if he needs it, and if he still cries, I let him. He's learning how to self soothe, and he's been chewing on his hands which I think helps with trying to pacify him... also if I have to go back in at night or nap bc he's crying, I don't pick him up first. I usually just put my hand on top of him so he can feel me, but I won't pick him up. I know listening to the crying is HARD... trust me, my ears are sensitive and it makes me crazy, but I know he's safe and I also try to make sure I'm somewhere in the house I can't hear it as loudly to where it makes me anxious. I'm sorry this is so long, but I hope this helps. My LO has been such a fussy mess the past few days bc he hasn't gotten enough day sleep and it makes it so much more stressful when the baby is fussy. 
  • @Ladybug2821 I personally think it is better to start sleep training at naptime. Then when bed time rolls around, they are already at least semi familiar with what is going to take place. Obviously it'll take time to become the norm though.

You guys... we've hit the 4 month sleep regression. Dude wants to wake up and goof off (not hungry, not fussy, just playing and cooing) at all hours of the night and morning. FX for a short phase!
  • Loading the player...
  • @AllyTheKid Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!! The four month sleep regression is the worst. 
  • @AllyTheKid That is what I was thinking. Plus id rather use sleep props at night to ensure sleep and deal with her fussy during the day. She just will not fall asleep on her own at all so it will probably take some crying it out. I'm so scared of these sleep regressions when I return to work. 
  • LO has decided to go on a nap strike. She didn't even take great naps to begin with but now she's even fighting those. So now I have a fussy baby that is tired because she just won't go to sleep. 
  • I have to battle my baby to take a nap. Swaddle her while she screams then bounce, walk fast and do rapid figure eights. I feel like I deserve a cookie after winning these epic battles.
    Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice I completely agree. Why can't they just sleep???
  • I battle those nap time screams daily! It's enough to make me go cray, but he cries for about 10 minutes, then he settles down and sleeps. It's rough. 
  • brzvice said:
    I have to battle my baby to take a nap. Swaddle her while she screams then bounce, walk fast and do rapid figure eights. I feel like I deserve a cookie after winning these epic battles.

I had to "line dance" in his room to get him to fall asleep. I'm so glad he is over that haha
  • We're slowly getting through the 4 month sleep regression. He was giving me 4 to 5 hour stretches of sleep and then went to hour and a half, 2 hours, and sometimes 30 minutes. I finally got a 3 hour and 40 minute stretch last night. I'm hoping it just gets better.
  • Johnny is regressing more and more daily =/ He used to take great naps, and sleep well at noght, now he fights naps as hard as he can, and then he's so tired at night he sleeps like crap and wakes up super early. He just rolls and flips around all loud and obnoxious over and over again, then starts screaming. 
    It used to work for me to just quietly and gently pick him up, lay him back down straight and give him his pacifier. Now he just starts screaming as soon as he realizes I'm awake too.
  • What seems to work best for one if mt twins at least Is a nice tight swaddle and her favorite pacifier.  She gets put in a bassinet with a blanket on her. Most the time if she wakes complaining the pacifier will calm her, or she will herself. My other one however.. I find snuggles till he acts sleepy works better, as well as much food as he seems to take. Though he is the difficult one and has lately had straight out screaming fits with beautiful baby tears included, maybe he feels his sibling is getting attention he wants?
  • So LO will be 4 months next week and is starting to show signs of rolling which I know means she's going to have to come out of the swaddle. Her first nap today with the swaddle was 45 mins (she normally naps for 30) so that was good. Then I had the bright idea of taking one arm out of the swaddle for the next 2 naps and of course she wakes after 10 mins. How am I going to rid her of the swaddle??
  • @Ladybug2821 my pediatrician told me to have her out if the swaddle at 8 weeks which I balked at her at the time but now that we're over that hump  I'm glad. You just do it like a band-aid and expect a few rough nights. Use your hands to hold her arms and  down when she falls asleep and if she startles herself sometimes that hand on her chest can relax her back to sleep. 
    I, however am no sleep expert because we just got hit hard with the 4 month sleep regression. She was sleeping through the night for the last month but now wakes up every other hour and if I'm not there in an instant singing and holding her chest it escalates quickly into full blown meltdown. I've had to have her nursing all night and sleeping next to me in bed in order to get any sleep. Help me Lawdy! Hopefully this too shall pass

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kvrunskvruns member
    edited February 2017
    Lurking from N16. 

@Ladybug2821 I'm going through the swaddle issue right now. Mine is almost 13 weeks and Friday I noticed he flipped over while swaddled overnight. I had previously tried 1 arm out and also the Merlin Suit and he hated both. Naps are terrible right now and he fights me to go to sleep even though he is tired bc he doesn't like sleeping with his arms out. He never taught going to sleep until now.  He did sleep well last night after a crying fit but naps are not happening. No words of advice just saying I feel your pain as I'm going through that right now. I am swaddling with arms out but still tight around his midsection though maybe that isn't necessary either 
  • Anybody else have a thumb sucker? Bedtime, naptime, just tired in general, and that thumb goes straight in Johnny's mouth. 
    Jimmy is the same way too.

I guess I'm not surprised, I sucked my thumb until I was nine-years-old  :s
  • Not her thumb, but Storm will sometimes suck on her pointer and middle finger. It means 1 of 3 things-she's hungry, wants her pacifier, or she's sleepy. Wish I knew which one it meant at what time lol. 
  • @Ladybug2821 Pretty much the same with Johnny, minus the pacifier. He prefers his thumb to a pacifier now, which is fine by me (for now), at least I won't have to worry about breaking that habit later. DD was a nightmare when it came time to ditch it, she held onto it until she was three... never. Ever. Again.
  • What are all your LO's sleeping (or not sleeping :( ) in nowadays? We were using the bassinet which was working great until we hit the 4 month sleep regression. Now V is days away from hitting 5 months and for the past few days has been sleeping great  in the rock n play  to keep her head elevated for to her cold and congestion. Now I'm worried about getting her out of the rock n play and back to the bassinet. Im enjoying not waking up every 2 hours to my little fuss butt but don't want her getting hooked on the rock and play either :/

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The sleep regression has caused some placement issues here also along with taking her out of the swaddle.  Right now S is in the rock and play also.  She's slept in that for night since day one and it helped with her reflux.  Before the regression, she was in the crib for naps and I was ready to transition her there for all sleep.  But now we can't lay her down on any flat surface without waking her up which sucks because she is getting too big for the rock and play.  I'm sure being surrounded by the sides helps her feel secure.  Has anyone had experience with the zipadee zip?  I'm considering getting that for her because the swaddle transition has gone from better to worse.  She actually did better her second day out of the swaddle than she is doing now.  She rubs her face so bad when she wakes mid sleep cycle and it wakes her up every time.  Anyone else's LO rub their face like crazy?  I think I've already decided I'm sleep training at 6 months so either way she will be in her crib then.

• Johnny has been in his bassinet since we brought him home, but now that he's a giant who turns cartwheels in his sleep, we're in the market of looking for a crib. That is on our weekend to-do list.
  • LAST NIGHT LO SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!    Not one peep from 10:30pm-9:30am.
    I slept 10 hours and am all
     Image result for nicolas cage meme
    !!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice That is awesome!
  • @brzvice Were you successful in transitioning V back to the crib?
  • @Ladybug2821  Yes. so far so good keeping fx! She still takes naps in the RNP but she is definitely getting too big for it as well. Now to get her to nap in the crib may be a whole nother story!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • brzvice said:
    @Ladybug2821  Yes. so far so good keeping fx! She still takes naps in the RNP but she is definitely getting too big for it as well. Now to get her to nap in the crib may be a whole nother story!
    H was successful with a nap in the crib today. On Friday i'm going to attempt the pack n play at night. That way in case she has several wake ups I don't have to worry about going to work the next day. 
  • brzvicebrzvice member
    So LO mostly STTN but lately it takes an hour and a half to get her down. As soon as I put her in the bassinet she gets this crazy burst of energy and flips and rolls and "talks" like a maniac. She doesn't get that rowdy in the day so what gives?
    I think I remember @AllyTheKid little man going through something like this? I remember when I read it I was like V is no where near doing that so she must have caught up!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice Oh my gosh, that phase- I just kept him more stimulated during the day, didn't let him take long naps, and when it came to him being a chatty Cathy at bedtime, you just have to walk away and ignore it! 
  • I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying this but for the past 2 nights, S has only woken up once.  But of course, I have still woken up at least twice because my body clock has become accustomed to her wake ups.  FX it stays like this or she starts STTN completely.  I don't know if this helped, but I was leaving 4-5oz bottles for her.  At one point, she was actually eating all that but I think that was growth spurt related.  But for the past few weeks, she was barely drinking 10 oz total, maybe 15 oz if we were lucky.  Since she wasn't drinking all of what I was leaving, I decided to change the bottles to 4-4oz and since then she has eaten all of them in addition to her solids and normal nursing.  So maybe getting more milk helped...maybe lol. 
  • @ladybug2821 FX the sleep sticks! I'm rooting for your first full nights sleep!
  • Well I got played.  The night before I made the comment, was the last night she only woke up once.  Breaking her of the MOTN feeds is going to be tough.  Sometimes she'll wake up and will just be making noise, but as I'm trying to rock her back to sleep she starts to cry louder and louder.  Its like she realizes I'm trying to pull one over on her by just putting her to sleep without feeding her.  I did mess up last night though.  She woke up at 7:30 (an hour after going down) and I let her cry and she did put herself back to sleep.  She woke up at 3 after already having a feeding at 11.  I told myself I'm going to let her cry for 10 mins.  She was just mostly fussing, but then she started to get loud.  So I went in at 8 mins.  When I got closer to the crib I saw she was trying to soothe herself by sucking on her hand and was starting to get quiet, but then she saw me ugghhhh.  And that was it from there and I had to nurse her after trying for almost 20 mins to rock her to sleep.
  • @Ladybug2821 Do you have a video monitor? I love having one so I can check up on her without her seeing me.
  • fitlady21 said:
    @Ladybug2821 Do you have a video monitor? I love having one so I can check up on her without her seeing me.
    I don't. I go back and forth between getting one. I might have to. 
  • How many hours per day (naps) are you typically letting LOs sleep for?  Yesterday S probably had over 4+ hours of naps because she slept with H. I told him that he needs to start limiting her naps to no more than 4 hours because it can affect her nighttime sleep. On the weekend she doesn't get as much day time sleep as that and still sleeps the same at night so it's not an issue yet. But I don't want it to become an issue. 
  • The boys have one mandatory afternoon nap together, and my rule is no sleep past 6 pm til bedtime. I aim for 4 or less hours daily, and other naps are on their schedule, wherever they decide to pass out ;) so one structured nap, then whatever until 6pm. They both STTN
  • brzvicebrzvice member
    No structured naps here, I watch for her cues and go with it. If she wasnt STTN I would be asking and considering all the things too.
    I cant wait @Ladybug2821 to post that S had a breakthrough and is finally hitting her sleeping groove.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice I can't wait either LOL. But you are right, I'm trying to find that one thing (or many) that could throwing it off. She used to sleep so well at night  :(
  • hi ladies! happy to see this thread alive and thriving and that some of us are getting sleep.  LO is up 1x a night, I think out of habit. wondering if i should just let him soothe to sleep or what. we are trying to wean from night feedings and don't really know how to go about it (see thread).. 

I have learned that all the good and all the bad in the sleep world seems to be a phase!