July 2017 Moms

GTKY: Dream Home

I have a bit of a house obsession and all of us being from so many different places and preferences I'd love to know your ideal home or must-haves even if it is just a feature...and if you have it now, what makes it perfect for you and your family. 

Re: GTKY: Dream Home

• For me, a master bedroom on the first floor or a ranch, an open living room and kitchen with a fireplace, and a mud room/laundry room from the back door. And as long as we are dreaming a laundry room with a utility sink. 
  • A big one -level with basement and attic. 
    More than one full bathroom!
    A big fenced yard, maybe with a pool. Ooh, an indoor pool and hot tub ideally!!
    An eat in kitchen - I dont really like open floor plans but maybe that would change with a kid. 
    Huge closets and a pantry!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Loading the player...
  • No neighbors, a fireplace, and one story. Other than that I love older houses because of their character and they have a story to tell. We were digging in our yard and found a buried patio, not usable but makes me think what this house has seen. 
  • A mudroom for coats shoes and kid backpacks! We already have one now, but I do wish it were slightly bigger sometimes, but I am so grateful we have it now and it is so beyond useful, I don't know how we would survive without it! 

Idealy I'd love to have the laundry on the same floor as the bedrooms (second floor). I hate lugging our laundry to the basement only to drag it all back up two flights of stairs. 

I would love a kitchen island, but our kitchen layout can't accommodate that. And a huge walk-in pantry! 
    I love the colonial look, and wish we had a slightly larger and fenced in yard. 
  • I love the older craftsman style houses around here (in LA) - My dream house would be a craftsman in Eagle Rock area. 
  • Plantation style, one of my favorite things about growing up in LA. Of course, it has to have a live in maid.
  • Mine would be a farmhouse with a wrap around porch, a kitchen that has a huge island, an apron sink, and a double oven, and a master bathroom with a tub that I can soak in. It would also have to have lots of land like 3-5 acres. And only one story because I'm lazy and hate going up and down our stairs as it is. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• That sounds wonderful!!! Congratulations!!! @yellow1daisy
  • My dream house would have a big laundry room that I can close the door to and forget about!  Lots of storage, beautiful rustic floors and kitchen.  Lots of windows, a big deck.  3 bathrooms on no less that 10acres of land.  No visible neighbours, and since it's my dream home, we would have a beautiful view of the mountains with a creek running through the yard!
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• DH and I just finished building our first home.  And not with a builder, legitimately DIY with friends and family (who know what they're doing haha!)  We initially removed the mud room but put it back in there and I'm thankful we did!  DH has a dirty job and it's literally covered in dried mud constantly.  We are on a little over an acre in the country.  We do have a few neighbours but they are all a minimum of an acre away. 3 bedroom (4th planned in the basement), 2 baths (1 main / 1 ensuite / 3rd full bath roughed-in in the basement)   

Wish I would have taken a foot or 2 from my ensuite and given it to the main bath.  The main is a bit too small for my liking and my ensuite is, relatively big.  But otherwise, the bedrooms are a perfect size.  The hall linen closet is a lot bigger than I expected.  I LOVE my kitchen.  I would have liked to put laundry upstairs though.  DH gets stuck carrying the big baskets down all the time ... and then back up when it's cleaned.  

This house is only 1416 sq ft (2800 in total, basement is unfinished but we've been slowly working at it) and I would honestly, go smaller!  Yes, you heard that right!  It's not big by most people's standards (although the size is very common around here) but I hate cleaning it.  

I guess my dream home would be a LEED certified green, microhome shoved somewhere in the mountains but where I still had space to grow my own food.  (Yup, I'm "that" person LOL!)  

Actually, scratch that.  My dream home would be one that has me MORTGAGE FREE!  lol  DH and I had quite a bit of equity built into our home upon completion from having done the build ourselves.  I have always dreamed of living in it for 5 or 10 years, selling it and taking the profit to build a microhome where we could be mortgage-free.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • We just closed on our house a month ago and it has the potential to be my dream home - just needs some work. One thing that was amazing is we bought it from our landlords (who happen to be my mother in law and husband's uncle) so we didn't have to pack and move!

One of the best features for me is location. The home is small by the standards I grew up in (its about 1600 sf) but we live within a mile of both our jobs - nearly unheard of in Silicon Valley. Commute isn't an issue for us 90% of the time. 

The home is an Eichler Style/ mid century modern which I have always loved - it just needs updating from its 1950s configuration - galley kitchen needs to go and laundry needs to be relocated from said kitchen. It still has original windows, etc so that needs to change as well. 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • @stokesm21 - love tiny homes! I work as an engineering professor and my students won a Tiny home competition in October.
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Such a fun question! For me, it would be an early 20th century Tudor style home with historic charm (but an updated kitchen!). Also a fireplace- I really miss having one.
  • Clio said:
    Also a fireplace- I really miss having one.
    This for sure!  We had a real wood fireplace in my childhood home and I have very, very fond memories of it! 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • I love this thread! 
    My dream home would be FREE! And it would come with a chef and maid. It would be one story with 5 bedrooms, 5.5 baths, 2500(ish) square feet with a 3 car garage. Super open with lots of room for babies to play and mom to have her own space. Preferably on an acre or so that's a little out of town but still convenient. I'd also love for it to have a mother in law suite in the back yard with a kitchen. 
    Thats not asking for too much, right? 
  • We moved into our dream home a year ago and love it. If I could upgrade it in any way I would say I'd place it on the beach.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dream home is a 19th century Southern farmhouse, modernized and renovated. I love the style of older homes and I love the industrial-farmhouse interior design style. My day dreams revolve mostly around the kitchen: preferably large, with an open floor plan and tons of natural light, muted and clean looking colors, open shelving, hard-wood floors, and a fireplace in the living room. 
  • I honestly don't want a huge house, but I'd love something completely focused on the kitchen someday. Huge island, double ovens, and 6 burner stove. All hardwoods (original, of course) and a 3 car garage for DH. Oh, and a den/workout room for the bike trainers!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• My dream home is a mortgage free home...and we are getting close!!! I come from a home where you live a little below your means but you buy new cars with cash. No credit cards. If you can't afford it don't buy it. Old school thinking I can blame my parents for! Lol BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT if I'm playing the game: a house with a free nanny, cook and cleaning staff 24/7!!!! 
  • What a cute worry-free thread! 

My dream home is also a mortgage free one haha @LoveLee85 One story, simple and functional, open floor plan, big back yard for kiddos to play, a sliding glass door in the master bedroom overlooking a pool and spa. Too much? Haha.