December 2016 Moms
Options

Help with baby name!!!!

So, finally, after several months, my FI and I have decided on a name for our baby girl.  As I am due in 3 days, this is a load off.  But now we have another problem.  The name we picked can be spelled 2 ways, and we aren't sure which way is best.  So, I put it to you on this board to give me some feedback, maybe give a reason why one way is better than the other?

Margot
or
Margo

Thanks ahead of time for any advice or thoughts.

Re: Help with baby name!!!!

• Options
    No real reason, but I prefer Margot. Maybe because I had a friend growing up who spelled it like that?
  • Options
    I like Margot better too. It looks more professional. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Margot looks cool. I like that. 
  • Options
    Another +1 for Margot. love her name btw!

Pregnancy Ticker 

• Options
    I guess I'm in the minority so far. I like Margo. Mainly bc I feel like Margot will get mispronounced a good bit. I know how you would say it, but there are a lot of people out there who would say it how it is spelled: Mar-got. Maybe I just know a lot of how shall I say, less bright individuals, lol but my personal preference (which I know others may not share) is to spell the name in a way that leaves as little confusion or interpretation as possible. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My vote is Margo also. Probably due to it being more familiar to me. :)
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback so far.  I don't really have a preference either way, but my FI likes how Margot looks more complete.  However, he is afraid that it will be mispronounced to often.  He even told me that if I had not told him it could be spelled 2 ways and that the T was silent he would have pronounced the T.  Also, for the older generations of his family, English isn't their first language and he's afraid they may not understand the spelling and pronunciation.  That said, he still prefers the Margot spelling.  That's why we are stuck.  We don't want to choose the spelling based on everyone else.  We want to choose what one we like best, but we also don't want to spend her whole life correcting people.
  • Options
    Another vote for Margot. I feel like it looks prettier and helps the name maintain its classic/traditional feel. 
  • Options
    jennbaylor12jennbaylor12 member
    edited December 2016
    I like Margot for all the reasons mentioned above and I feel like there are so many unusual names/spellings nowadays that is really not a big deal to have to correct some people sometimes
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I vote for Margot because that's the way I have always seen it being spelled it the past, so it's familiar to me but I think either way is nice. :) 
  • Options
    Margot is the classic spelling so I vote classic - Margo might be more unique or girly, but I think Margot is a name that carries into adulthood better! But hey, it's your baby girl maybe decide when you see her what seems to fit the best!