January 2017 Moms
Options

Low fluid anyone?

serah-2serah-2 member
edited December 2016 in January 2017 Moms
i went in for my 34 week appointment and found out I have low amniotic fluid.  Currently at 6.1.  I'm going to go in on Monday for an NST and recheck the levels and may have to get induced.  I was not thinking it would be this early!  Anyone else in the same boat?

Re: Low fluid anyone?

• Options
    I'm curious...how did they determine that you had low fluids? U/S?  And why did they check?
  • Options
    oh no :( hopefully you can just stay super super hydrated until your next ultrasound and things will go back to normal!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Determined through an ultrasound. I get one every 4 weeks since I'm considered high risk due to low PAPP-A (one of the hormones they check during first trimester screening).  So far baby has been totally fine (thank you!!) but the low fluid freaked my doc out enough to say that if it didn't get better we'd have to induce/c section.  It's got me a bit freaked out. Thanks for well wishes @litzi!
  • Options
    Hopefully everything turns out all right
  • Options
    @serah thanks for the explanation!  I've always wondered how that's determined.
    I'm glad your doctor has their eye on it :smile:
  • Options
    @lindsladle15 they measure every time you get an ultrasound.  You probably haven't been advised of your levels because they're normal (yay!).  
  • Options
    @serah I had this with my second son.  Drink tons of water and try to rest whenever possible.  I had weekly ultrasounds and twice weekly NSTs for what feels like forever. At my 37 week appt doc determined fluid was low enough that I needed to be induced.  I ended up going into labor on my own at 37+2 the night before my induction.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Options

thanks for your reply @ladysaceb.  I'm drinking tons of water and trying to chill out.  I'm hoping to make it to at least 37 weeks, and I'm really hoping not to have a c-section. 

I'm glad your low fluid story ended positively!

• Options
    Me! Well, I had it confirmed with my last pregnancy and was induced via pitocin at 38 +3 when my deepest pocket of fluid was at a 3 and my doctor suspected it might be the case again this morning but ultrasound is scheduled to confirm on Monday. Last time was twice weekly NSTs and weekly ultrasounds from 35 weeks until the day I was induced so I'm preparing for that again. I was already scheduled for a 39 week induction because I delivered sooooo fast during my last induction so moving it forward a little bit doesn't bother me any. My DH on the other hand? Totally wigging out. 
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing @katesmama0706, I'm sorry you're going through this but your story makes me feel less freaked out.  Were you advised of any possible negative affects?  My doctor was concerned about lack of oxygen for baby.  I have an NST on Monday and I'm just hoping to get a pass.  When they said they might induce on Monday it really threw me for a loop.  I was not expecting to be a mom next week lol. 
  • Options
    My NSTs were all normal and my ultrasounds never showed any explanation for my low fluid (ie placenta decline or lack of blood flow in the umbilical cord or kidney problems) so the only concern in my situation was a smaller baby or if baby was in distress. We did deal with a touch of jaundice because she was early term but she was a decent size and APGARs of 8 and 9 so she wasn't in distress either. Hoping for a similar turn out this time, but I'm sure the risks depend on the cause for the low fluid levels. 
    Good luck on your NST @serah it probably depends on how conservative your doctor is and what your results are but I would bet they'll try to keep you pregnant as long as possible without stressing out the baby. I always enjoyed getting to go in twice a week and spend a good 20ish minutes just listening to baby's heart beat for the reassurance that everything was still good in there. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all your help ladies!  After a weekend of relaxing and drinking lots of water, fluid looks great and passed the NST with flying colors!  Back to my regularly scheduled weekly appointments.  Woohoo!!!!
  • Options
    good to hear!
  • Options
    Yay @serah !!! Our fluid levels were normal today too, just making more petite babies so we're back to normally scheduled appointments!
  • Options
    awesome @katesmama0706!!! So glad all is well.