June 2016 Moms
Options

Bassinette level on pack n play

So we are staying with my mom for 3 whole weeks over Christmas and we were planning on having LO sleep in the pack n play on the bassinette level. He still can't sit up (will be 6 mos on xmas) so I assumed it was safe. I have been putting him down for naps in it this week to practice and I'm sort of unhappy at how "bendy" the bassinette level is. Like if I put him down so his butt is in the center, his head is actually higher than his butt. His pacifier winds up under him sometimes because everything falls towards the center. I don't think he can roll over because he wears a sleep suit, but if he did, it seems super unsafe.
I actually called the company (Joovy) to find out if there was something wrong with ours. They said they had an updated version of the bassinette and sent us a new one which turned out to be EXACTLY THE SAME.
Are all bassinette levels on playards this squishy/bendy/sinky? Or is it just the Joovy? I've never used one before. I thought they were supposed to be safe for sleeping. I think he'll be ok as a 6 mo old (he might fall to the center but we're probably past suffocation risk by now and the pad is actually nice and firm), but no way would I have put a newborn in here.
I REALLY don't want to have to pick up and put down from the bottom level until he's old enough to help. Ugh. Back killer. If it comes to that I'll buy a second crib to leave at mom's!

Re: Bassinette level on pack n play

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Our's was okay but we moved him to the main part of the playard at around 3 months because he was outgrowing the bassinet. I think if I tried to put him in it now, it would bend under his weight though. Our playard had two options for the main section. He could be laid down all the way at the bottom or there was a piece that could be put in that was about a third of the way down. Saved my back for sure. It's a Safety 1st playard by the way.
  • Options
    @bedinabelinda how heavy is your son? There might be a weight limit on the bassinet which is why it's bending now and wouldn't with a newborn.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had to move Abby to the crib because she became too heavy for the bassinet part of the pnp. It sounds like what you're describing. It was basically buckling under her weight. I'm not sure what the weight limit is on yours but I think ours was 15.
  • Options
    We have a Graco pnp and our LO has been sleeping in there since he was about a month old.  I am just now starting to notice that the small amount of cushioning on the mat is thinning out in the middle.  He just turned 6 months and I think he weighs around 15 lbs.  We are working on transitioning him to his own room and crib, which we have noticed he sleeps more soundly in.  We still love the pack n play though for trips.  I think your son would be ok as long as he doesn't exceed the weight limit...
  • Options
    We have the 4moms breeze play pen and the bassinet part would only hold him until about 3 months before it was really sagging in the middle. So I'm sure there is a weight limit. He's been at the very bottom since then. 
  • Options
    Well crud. I thought he could be in it until he could sit up. The weight limit is 15 lb and he's 15.6. Will probably be closer to 16 by xmas. I guess I need a new plan. No way can I pick up him and down out of the bottom 3 or 4 times for each nap (it's the only way he goes down) for 3 weeks and I don't like the way his head gets pushed up on the top level.
  • Options
    I don't know how cost effective it is--especially if you visit often or for long periods--but could you rent a crib? In my city there is a company that does "luxury" baby gear rentals. It might be a chain--the pampered pickle.