July 2017 Moms
Options

Struggles with Anxiety

Hi! So I've had a difficult time, suffering from anxiety (I’m 10 weeks pregnant) to the point where I'm crying, worried and scared about my baby. Is this normal?

Re: Struggles with Anxiety

• Options
    Hello @Tam232 - I wold say some level of anxiety while pregnant is normal but it can also be not normal and is definitely something to discuss with your OB or other trusted healthcare professional. When anxiety interferes with your daily tasks - it is time to address it. I suffered in silence during my first pregnancy because I thought my level of 'worry' was 'normal' but it turned out not to be. I wish I had sought help or advice at that time.

This website has some amazing sources to check out and maybe to help you figure out a way to communicate with your partner and health care team: https://www.postpartumprogress.com/

Please ask me any questions! Mental Health for pregnant and postpartum women is a passion of mine.
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tam232 said:
    Hi! So I've had a difficult time, suffering from anxiety (I’m 10 weeks pregnant) to the point where I'm crying, worried and scared about my baby. Is this normal?
    @Tam232

When I had my 1st appointment with my doctor she told me that some anxiety is normal (especially if this is your 1st pregnancy) and that it isn't anything she would be concerned about unless it begins to impact my life on a daily basis such as unable to leave the house, drive on my own, etc.

I would also discuss this with your doctor. They know you and your medical history much better than we do.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had anxiety before pregnancy, and I have it now too. If it's so much that you can't deal with it, it's always good to talk to your doctor. Some worry is completely normal during pregnancy, but if it's really consuming you, at least talk to a trusted family member or friend so you can vent your feelings. I was terrified for my baby too until I saw the heart beat. Now, it comes and goes. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    Hi @Tam232 and @kerils Sorry to hear about your struggles with anxiety.  I was the same way and second what someone said earlier about meditation.  Man did it save me! My best friend gifted me these meditations called Expectful, and after trying it out for like a week, I'm feeling so much better.  I think they have a 30 day free trial for any one new...maybe you could check them out, if it can help.  I think the website is expectful.com hope it helps. sending love.
  • Options
    Just a heads up - I reported the comment above mine - pretty sure this is a spammer! Quite rude, really, on a board like this, but what are you going to do?

I second folks who have mentioned the Mental Health Monday thread - it has been wonderful!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Options
    LarkSparkleLarkSparkle member
    edited December 2016
    Yikes, that might have been my fault for bringing up podcast recommendations. I tried to not name specific apps or books so as not to appear spammy. (Edited to remove recommendation, as I realized the podcast also contains Buddhist undertones.) Apologies, am still learning the ropes in this community.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I have anxiety and panic attacks when I'm not pregnant, and they can be debilitating. I agree with all of the suggestions to talk to someone if it's impacting your daily life- they can give you coping mechanisms and sometimes it's helpful to just dump it all out to someone neutral. I'm not sure about safe medications during pregnancy, but they may be able to guide you there too if it is severe. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First of all, to OP- I'm sorry you struggle with anxiety. I'm dealing with this too, and there definitely is some real help out there, including counseling, cognitive behavioral therapy, and, if you and your health care provider choose to go that route, medications. I hope if all works out for you. In the meantime, we have the mental health check in thread!

secondly, I know we're all friends here, but, respectfully, I'm very uncomfortable with @MrsWilson830 posting a bunch of bible verses up there. I have a religion too, and I have a lot of respect for everyone's religion and/ or beliefs. But, or actually because of this, I take issue with offering someone you don't know, whose religion you don't know, bible-based advice. 
    Ok that's all I wanted to say. 
  • Options
    @RunRestRepeat Hi, wow, I'm so sorry you felt my comment was spammy.  I'm so new to this platform and seriously what I'm learning from the responses after mine, it seems that we are not supposed to share resources that worked for us? I'm not sure...is there somewhere in the rules to posting in the community that states that? Just curious? anyway i feel so bummed
  • Options
    @Tam232 hope you are feeling better today. look i didn't mean to offend you by sharing a resource that really supported me. So if I did just want to say sorry. However, this is my baby is my rainbow baby. So, I know a thing or two about anxiety.  I tried everything, including speaking to my husband, but it's like we both feel the same way so when my friend gifted me the meditations I was a little skeptical at first but really,...so far it's been amazing.  Besides that, I just feel overall better since I'm finally able to sleep without thinking of all the things that could potentially go wrong and just embrace my moment with my little baby.  Wish you the best. - still learning the ropes to this community thing...didn't feel like sharing all the other stuff yesterday :) 
  • Options
    @LarkSparkle I was not referring to your comment - I apologize about any confusion. I work in radio, so podcast recommendations are always welcome!

@MamaLexi431 I'm sorry if I've hurt you, but please understand where I was coming from. I hadn't seen you in the intro thread, or participating anywhere else, but suddenly you were recommending medications to a member of our community with your first and only comment. Sadly, you'd be surprised on how often these boards are spammed - I was just trying to protect our little group. I wish you the best with your rainbow baby, and hope to see you participating on other threads!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Options
    @RunRestRepeat thanks. I had no idea really...wow. yeah, I have never used these platforms before so thanks for helping me navigate them better. :smile:
  • Options
    Tam232Tam232 member
    edited December 2016
    @ladipale Thanks so much for this. I will definitely check out the site. 
  • Options
    @MrsWilson830  Thank you for sharing the book. I'll look into it further.
  • Options
    @LarkSparkle @MamaLexi431 Thanks for sharing about meditation. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. 
  • Options
    LarkSparkleLarkSparkle member
    edited December 2016
    No worries @RunRestRepeat - and thanks for making a point to say that. Knew it wasn't aimed at me directly. I realized afterwards, I was being overly cautious since I'm new and don't want to offend ;)

ETA: love podcasts! We can trade notes :)
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I think a good learning from this thread is that there are many ways to deal with anxiety, and everyone finds different things that resonate with them :)

It's worth trying a bunch of different things and seeing what works for you - and being gentle with yourself if you find something just isn't working for you, even if others swear by it.

Looking forward to the next Monday Mental Health thread :)