September 2015 Moms
Options

$$ spent on daycare x-mas gift?

There are four women that primarily staff LO's infant room. Two have been there since he started and the other two are relatively new. I am trying to figure how much to give each one. I would like to just do a gift card. So many come and go (I am sure they don't get paid much), so I prefer to give more to those that have been there longer as a reward for loyalty / caring for LO longer. It seems to be a revolving door with 50% of the staff. But in the end, I will probably give the same to each because I don't want to upset anyone. Any thoughts? How much are you spending for care givers?

Re: $$ spent on daycare x-mas gift?

• Options
    We have 2 teachers in our toddler room plus the director and assistant director who are very involved. And I am also doing something for the lady that prepares all of the meals and snacks. I pack all snacks and lunch unless there is a snack or meal that meets what we would serve at home, which is rare. And she is super supportive of my wishes and makes sure what I send I served right. So I want her to feel special too. 

I just did little kits from bath and body works for everyone  
  • Options
    Those are cute gifts. A new assistant director was just hired but the director has been there for the whole time. She is sweet and subs in for breaks if needed but not that hands on. I think I will just bring in bagels to cover the other staff members.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Those are cute gifts. A new assistant director was just hired but the director has been there for the whole time. She is sweet and subs in for breaks if needed but not that hands on. I think I will just bring in bagels to cover the other staff members.
    Bagels are a good idea! Or an edible arrangement even. Good call!
  • Options
    I'm always super careful with scented gifts and sweets. My mom, who is a teacher, is diabetic and is allergic to almost all things scented. She always comes home with a load of candies, lotions, and candles that she can't make use of. I do think food gifts are always appreciated. Bagels is a nice idea.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Options
    That is a good point. Although from what I smell on my son at the end of the day, a few of them wear lotions or some type of perfume! My parents were both teachers and would get around 10 coffee mugs (give or take a few) each year. So I don't give those. 
  • Options
    We do a joint gift card from all of the kids and parents in the class.  That way, the teachers get one significant amount.  We've used this website: https://thegiftingbunch.com/.  It also allows each donor to give anonymously, so you could give a different amount for each teacher and/or not worry about other parents knowing how much you contribute.  We've also been open that parents can choose something else if they'd like.  I give each teacher $50 - $100 depending on if they've been there all along, are full-time, etc.
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • Options
    Thanks for the website! I have not gotten to know the other parents. I guess I could stick notes in the kid's baskets but I don't think I feel like coordinating at this point. I will definitely keep it in mind for next year. I was thinking around $40 or $50 for each. So you didn't feel bad giving someone less if they have not been there as long? I did give b-day gifts to the two that have been there for awhile. Luckily the other two do not have b-days until the summer.
  • Options
    Between my 2 kids they have 8 teachers. 2 morning and 2 afternoon. Last year we did $10 gift cards. I know it's not much but with so many teachers we just couldn't do more. This year I ordered 9 Yeti style (different brand) cups from Amazon and I'm having their name put on them. I did a cup for all 8 teachers plus one of my daughters teachers from last year that she is really close too. I will probably fill the cups with treats or candy. I'm a teacher so I do have some knowledge of what I don't want to buy. It did make me feel good when one of my kids previous teachers told me she was sad she didn't have my kids because we give the best gifts. Haha! 
  • Options
    I worked in a daycare for 7 years. Gift cards or homemade treats were always the best gifts. (I still miss the homemade toffee one of my parents always made!) Cards for Starbucks were always my favorite! As lead teacher, some parents would get me a bigger gift or amount and no one got their feelings hurt. It was mostly just being acknowledged for all the hard work, by parents period that we appreciated.
  • Options
    I was thinking of some bath and body works stuff but now I like the bagel idea. I know I personally am sick of getting bath stuff from secret santas at work! 
  • Options
    Last year we did the same for everyone.  $20 gift cards to Target.
  • Options
    @KristiSigma it always depends for me.  This is DD3 and she goes to the same school the others attended.  When there are 4-5 teachers in a room I tend to give $20-25 in cash, or a gift card if I know where they shop.  As they get older and only have 2 teachers I give $35-40.  I do give the "main" teachers more than the "helpers" who pop in for a few hours.  They love getting cash - they make so little for their hard work!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, now I am rethinking and might go with a $20 gift card. I think I would like to give a lot because I do appreciate all that they do to care for LO but it just doesn't work with my budget. Thanks!