August 2017 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding while Pregnant

DD is 9 months old and still breastfeeds 6 times a day. I've heard that it's safe and I've heard that it isn't safe. I really hope my doc doesn't pressure me to switch to formula. My daughter doesn't take bottles and I worked REALLY hard to overcome obstacles to be able to breastfeed her. I also feel like I don't really get contractions from nursing, even when it was right after birth. My labor contractions weren't enough to make my daughter come out even at 5 days overdue (had a c section), and pumping to go into labor was also a total bust so I don't have much thought that these things affect my body much. Is anybody else still breastfeeding while pregnant?

Re: Breastfeeding while Pregnant

• Options
    My DD is 11 months, so I'll only be nursing for another couple weeks. My goal was always 1 year. To be honest though, I've never heard of an OB telling a nursing momma to stop, but maybe I just missed that. There's a ton of nursing mommas on July17, a whole thread about it. 
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married 11/24/13
    DD1 born 12/24/15
    TTC #2 Aug. 16
    BFP for #2 11/22/16

Aug17 December Siggy Challenge: Funny Pics of Kids Afraid of Santa

• Options
    Oh that's good to hear! My SIL is 11 weeks and they toldher to stop nursing her 11 month old immediately when she went to her first doc appointment. I did a little more research and I guess the idea is based on old medicine. Apparently if you're not on pelvic rest or told you can't have sex, then there should be no reason that you can't continue to nurse. I just wouldn't want to feel responsible if anything were to happen.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm breastfeeding my 16 month old. I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I've heard it's safe unless you're at risk for preterm labor. Check out kellymom.com!
  • Options
    I'm still nursing my 17 month old. It's definitely okay to still nurse unless, like @amk013 said, you're at risk for preterm labor. It can cause contractions in some women. No need to stop right away.

Married: 8/4/12
    Me: 25 DH: 26
    TTC #1: August 2014
    BFP: 10/3/2014   EDD: 6/17/15
    Born: 6/20/16

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Most people can continue to nurse while pregnant. It can get painful further along as your body changes with the new baby. The thing you should look out for is cramping while nursing or after nursing. You should be able to make it to 12 months if that is your immediate goal to avoid formula but you can probably tandem them if you want to work at it and nurse longer :) 
  • Options
    I'm still breastfeeding at 15 months and have no plans to stop. I'm praying I can make it to when my daughter is 2, so that would mean I tandem nurse for at least a month and a half, which I would be totally okay with. So far I haven't had any pain or any discomfort - how are you feeling?
  • Options
    I have been good so far but I think most moms start to struggle more when they are 3-5 months along. Milk tries to change composition and can also dry up some depending on each mom. I would nurse and push through if you can when it gets tough if you are very excited about tandem! 
  • Options
    It is safe. I am bfing my 2.5 year old and I nursed my oldest through my second pregnancy as well and continued to tandem nurse him (he was 22 months when #2 was born). Most doctors don't have much knowledge about this topic so caution against it as a precaution, but it's really not necessary to quit. Although you may see a supply drop. There's a really helpful FB group called Tandem Nursing whose collective knowledge was a big help to me. Even if you don't tandem nurse once baby is born they are a great resource for nursing through pregnancy.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I was still nursing my first DD when we got pregnant with our second. My midwife said it was ok as long as I kept a healthy caloric intake and got good nutrients so my body could handle nursing, pregnancy, and taking care of my own body. I continued nursing her until I was about 5 months along. That's when my oldest was close to 1 1/2 and self weaned. 
  • Options
    I'm really just trying to get her to 1 year to avoid formula. I've been pumping and saving little bits again even though I haven't pumped in months. She doesn't take bottles. I'm hoping my milk doesn't dry up but my pediatrician got me worried.