June 2016 Moms
Options

The Holidays

Hey Ladies, 

It's baby's first Christmas (almost)! I thought I would start this thread to talk about creating new holiday traditions, travel plans,  and gift giving.
 It's  most definitely time for holiday shopping.  I know LO won't remember this year, but I still want to get him a few gifts to celebrate and get us through until his first birthday. However, I have no idea what to get. Yes I googled 6-12mo toys, but I am still not sure. Also I feel like it would be way too easy to go overboard. 

What are you ladies doing? 

Re: The Holidays

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I have a couple of fun bath toys on the list for when he is just a little bit older and a couple of toys to help with crawling and eventually walking. Otherwise it is just books and toys...Edit: I meant clothes, not toys! 

I finally won the Christmas battle so we get to spend it at home with just the three of us! We will do a late Christmas at the in-laws. We haven't talked about traditions just yet but I know we want to keep some from his side and some from mine, plus make our own!
  • Options
    We're staying home this Christmas/New years since we just moved across the country and On one income for the last few months while I job searched. I'' really only planning on gifting practical stuff this year, but I've made a wishlist with other more fun things for grandparents and her aunts and uncles to get her. I know they'll want to and this way at least it's stuff she can use/needs. I might go crazy if I have to return/exchange another adorable, but too small outfit. I'm pretty sure Target already has me on their watchlist for the amount of gifts I've returned without a receipt.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've started a list of nice-to-have's for Christmas this year, but so far neither grandparents have asked for it like they always do my mine and DHs wish list, which worries me. I do have an activity table on the list that could be put on the floor for sitting play or on legs for standing play to use this winter/spring.

As far as traditions, I've picked out an advent calendar and a story book that has 24 Christmas stories in it to read every night this month. He won't remember, but it'll be nice to tell him when he's 10 that he has to sit with me and read because we've done it every year since he was born lol
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Options
    I've started a list of nice-to-have's for Christmas this year, but so far neither grandparents have asked for it like they always do my mine and DHs wish list, which worries me. I do have an activity table on the list that could be put on the floor for sitting play or on legs for standing play to use this winter/spring.

As far as traditions, I've picked out an advent calendar and a story book that has 24 Christmas stories in it to read every night this month. He won't remember, but it'll be nice to tell him when he's 10 that he has to sit with me and read because we've done it every year since he was born lol
    Some day I will have a wine themed advent calendar.....some day. I love the storybook idea!
    Yes! 
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    We have a busy Christmas.  Christmas Eve we go to a friend's house for his birthday (yup his birthday is on Christmas) they do a cake and open presents at midnight so we are gonna drop Preston off at Grammy's for bed since she lives five min away from there and go back to the party. Christmas morning is at Grammy's and then she is hosting the whole family for Christmas lunch. After lunch we run to my mom's Christmas, where my half of the family will be waiting, for dessert and presents. Then go home and collapse into bed. Lol
  • Options
    We spend Christmas at home, and have for the past 6 years.

Baby is getting an IKEA highchair, a soppy cup, a couple board books, some babyfood in her stalking, and some home made soft blocks (that I still need to finish). 

My my two year old girl is getting a fisher price little people dollhouse (that I scored used for $5), a play doh set, and an alphabet puzzle.

my 5 year old boy is getting an easy bake oven and I'll make some mixes to go along with it, some detective story books, and a beginner sewing set. 

I got a game and a DVD that they can share. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    rlbrooks84rlbrooks84 member
    edited December 2016

Some day I will have a wine themed advent calendar.....some day. I love the storybook idea!
    I wanted to do a beer one for my husband but it didn't happen this year, next year maybe. I'm going to make it his birthday present since he's a November baby.
  • Options
    I told my parents to just buy gift cards to target or babies r us so we can purchase diapers, wipes, and other essentials. 12 month clothes would be nice too. But I said no toys. We don't have a super big house and we already have plenty of toys. I'm OCD and don't want crap all over the house. Haha. But grandma and grandpa think gift cards are boring, and they want to get Ethan something he can "open". So I said they can buy the 4moms highchair that I've been eyeing but don't want to spend $250+ on if they want.  :p
  • Options
    My in-laws got her an activity cube that will live at their house to play with since they watch lily often. My husband and I will be making her a busy board for home that will fold in half for travel to my parents house or to friends houses. This is just an idea of a board but we wanna put an old corded phone on it too. We love to be crafty with our gifts.
  • Options
    lac1252lac1252 member
    edited December 2016
    I thought it might be fun (and also give us last minute shoppers some ideas) to share what we're getting the adults in our lives for the holidays. I got my husband's 30-year-old male cousin and his 33-year-old brother in the secret santas we do. Both about $100 limit and I just find men so hard to shop for!

Edited to include what I've got so far:

I plan on getting my husband a new golf bag. My inlaws are getting a framed collage with pics of Charlotte and them as well as tickets to a broadway show, that's being split among DH's siblings and us. I got my mom a pair of boots and also a framed collage of pics.
  • Options
    I'm making one of my brothers a diy hot sauce kit, it'll have everything he needs other then some fresh produce to make 3 types of hot sauce. He's a big fan of the stuff and hard to buy for, I also got him some rei wool socks. Who doesn't love wool socks!
  • Options
    @rlbrooks84 what a great idea!! Didn't you also make your own extracts? You're so creative in the kitchen.
  • Options
    lac1252 said:
    @rlbrooks84 what a great idea!! Didn't you also make your own extracts? You're so creative in the kitchen.
    Thank you! Yes, but my almond extract smelled like rubbing alcohol so I tossed it. Sad day, I don't know what happened but I've never made extracts before so I'll chalk it up to that.