July 2016 Moms
Options

Car Seat Mirror

This has become quite the debate in our house and among our parent friends. Do you have a mirror in your car so that you can see your LO while they're rear-facing in their car seat? DH thinks I'll be distracted and only watch LO while I'm driving. But I would feel more comfortable being able to see her.
Thanks for the opinions!

Re: Car Seat Mirror

• Options
    We have one as well. I love it. When I drive my husbands truck and I don't have one I feel lost. it gives me peace of mind especially if we're out for a sleepy drive so I know he's sleepy the soundly and safely.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have one! It is great to be able to look at her. I do admit, I occasionally get distracted at red lights. It just gives me a lot of peace of mind. My husband liked it so much he bought another one. 
  • Options
    We have a mirror, but it doesnt stay in place so I can see C, does anyone have a recommendation of a mirror that is easy to adjust and stays in place while driving, so it is usual to me and my husband.
  • Options
    We have one as well!  My mom put one in her car too.  I actually need to get a bigger one because my mom has said that my LO can look in the mirror and see my mom if she starts to get upset and lonely and it helps to comfort her.
  • Options
    We have one, and love it! I don't really use it to look at her, but if she's looking at herself, she's much less fussy on car rides. 
  • Options
    We have one in each car. Honestly, I think it entertains her as much as it helps me. She loves looking at herself!! Ours also has a remote and will play a little tune and flash lights. A friend talked me into it. I really only try and use it excessively if she's fussing. If she's quiet I'll look at it and most of the time she's asleep. 
  • Options
    TiffRox81 I was just saying "I wonder if there is a mirror with lights and music"!  Where did you get it??
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 I got it at BRU! I also saw it at Target. It's made by Brica! 
  • Options
    @TiffRox81 Yay!!  Thanks!  This will be a weekend purchase.  I love that it is from such convenient locations!
  • Options
    I have one. She had a wicked reflux problem for a while and would choke a lot. I needed to be able to see her in case I couldn't hear the sound of her choking. I would have to pull over, jump out and get her out of the seat fast in order to clear her airway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    MamaBish that is terrifying
  • Options
    I love ours. I missed it when I was in California a month ago. It's just nice to see her and know she's okay. plus if she's extremely fussy I can usually sneak a peek during redlights and she calms down when she sees me on the mirror. 
  • Options
    I had one but I gave it to DH because it fits on the headrest on the backseat on either the right or left side and I have LO positioned in the middle and there's no headrest. I would love to be able to see her but my car is small and if I put her on my side it would be really uncomfortable and on the passenger side no one can sit there with the seat in. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mirror that would work if the car seat is in the middle?
  • Options
    I would love to have a mirror but I haven't been able to find any that will work in my car. I drive a little 2door and there are no headrests on the back seat :( anyone have a solution for this or find one that doesn't attach to a headrest?
  • Options
    I have one! Jaxon loves to talk to himself. 
  • Options
    i have one as well and love to b able to sneak peaks when i can just to make sure all is well.  we have the one by brica with the lights and music too but haven't used that part of it yet!
  • Options
    I have the lights and music one too and it is loved by all. 
  • Options
    I have one. And darn glad.
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• Options
    I have one. We originally bought the set of 2 little mirrors. One attaches to your sun visor and the other has a suction cup that you attach to the side back window (behind the door). They were useless. The one on the sun visor would constantly shake out of position and they were so small that it was impossible to see anything when the car was moving.  We ended up buying a bigger one and attaching it to the back head rest with a receiving blanket propping it to angle down into the car seat. I love it and I can see it clearly in my rear view mirror so I'm not turning to look all the time. 
  • Options
    @TiffRox81 I bought it this weekend!  I plan to install it tonight! YAY!

• Options
    Thanks ladies! DH still isn't convinced though :( our friends just got one so maybe they'll convince him that we need one!
  • Options
    @mldutton...they aren't all that expensive...maybe get one as a "trial" and prove him wrong??
  • Options
    I had one but I gave it to DH because it fits on the headrest on the backseat on either the right or left side and I have LO positioned in the middle and there's no headrest. I would love to be able to see her but my car is small and if I put her on my side it would be really uncomfortable and on the passenger side no one can sit there with the seat in. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mirror that would work if the car seat is in the middle?
    I do!  I have no middle headrest so I needed one that would work there, this is the one I got: https://www.target.com/p/brica-baby-in-sight-soft-touch-auto-mirror-for-car-safety-gray/-/A-14295268?regMode=REGST&registryId=o2nnl6OirJo7kUFhX4wuXQ&registryType=baby&itemLineNum=169&backLinkName=my registry&backLinkUrl=/gift-registry/myitems?registryId=o2nnl6OirJo7kUFhX4wuXQ&registryType=BABY&pageFrom=myitems It has a litle kickstand type thing that works.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    Thanks so much @MamaBish you rock!!
  • Options
    I'm waiting for someone to mention that they are not considered to be the safe option. We had our seats installed by Children's Hospital and they were very clear that the mirrors can break in crashes and cause lacerations to the face (even safety mirrors.) Emergency workers/paramedics and the like will advise to skip the mirror.

Andplusalso, those plastic seat protectors that save your leather upholstery from damage make it much more difficult, if not impossible, to install a seat tight enough.

Now, stepping off of my soap box, we also use a mirror. Initially it was for the same reason as @MamaBish but now I just feel more comfortable being able to see that he is okay even though he makes a lot more noise and can cough on his own.