Adoption

December - I'm Adopting and I'm Fostering

“I’m adopting!” and "I'm fostering"

Are you thinking about adopting/fostering or are you in the process of adopting/fostering? If so, please tell us more about yourself and your experiences so far. 

-What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)?

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.)

-How are you feeling about the process right now?

-Any questions?

-Any tips for the steps you’ve passed?

-Anything else to add?

-GTKY: What is your favorite Christmas / Holiday tradition?

Me:28 | DH: 28
Married: 07-2014
TTC #1: Since November 2015
Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
     due to previous issues.
***TW***
BFP: 11/4/2016
*TW*
 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: December - I'm Adopting and I'm Fostering

• -What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)? Foster Care

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.) Just started the actual application process. It took forever to finally get in touch with someone who could get us started (see rant below). They are doing background checks and they mailed the application packets to us so we should be getting those any day now.

-How are you feeling about the process right now? Excited! H told me the other day (a few days after finally getting in contact with someone) that he wanted to talk about all of this and I was worried he was going to say he doesn't want to do it, but he just had questions. He seems to be fully on board now, which is great!

-Any questions? The person I talked to on the phone said that we'll have to fill out some health information. Does anyone know what it is that they are looking for on that? I have a chronic illness and I'm worried it will hurt our chances because they'll think I'm not physically fit to take care of children. It's not like I'm bedridden or anything (though some people with this illness are), but I'm not sure how healthy they want foster parents to be.

-Any tips for the steps you’ve passed? Don't even bother with the "contact us" forms on agencies' websites. I tried filling those out first because they're easier to find than a phone number (plus I hate talking on the phone), but I never got any responses. Finally I found an e-mail address and phone number. No response to the e-mail, but after leaving a few voicemails I got a phone response. So I guess just be proactive about getting in contact.

-Anything else to add? I was thinking about doing a Christmas announcement to our families that we are starting the process to adopt/become foster parents, but I don't know if that's weird. It's less exciting than a pregnancy announcement because it's kind of like saying "hey, we hope to have a baby soon!" Does it make sense to do an announcement or should we just wait until it comes up in casual conversation with people?

-GTKY: What is your favorite Christmas / Holiday tradition? One of my favorites is actually something that H and I started that we will probably do with our children. Chicago has a German Christmas market every year with food and shopping. It's hard to explain, but it's really cool. We're actually going this Monday and I'm really excited for it :)

• @britters314

I am glad your DH seems like he has come on board. As for the health forms I think it means like family medical history / surgeries etc.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @SaphireSweetie88  I just don't know why they would need my family medical history. I would understand that if I was the one giving a baby up for adoption, but not if I'm the one adopting..
  • @britters314

That I am not sure. Maybe to make sure there's no history of severe medical issues that could leave the adopted child without parents before 18??? Just guessing.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• -What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)? - Domestic Infant Adoption

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.) - 7 months into our wait for a match

-How are you feeling about the process right now? - READY TO BE DONE!  The holidays are hard.

-Any questions? - Nada

-Any tips for the steps you’ve passed? - Don't stress the home study, it's not that big of a deal. 

-Anything else to add? - I just want a match!!

-GTKY: What is your favorite Christmas / Holiday tradition? - DH and I do Sinterklaasnacht from when we lived in the Netherlands.  We also watch all the HP movies leading up to Christmas Eve, and then Christmas Eve we watch Polar Express. 

TTC #1 since May 2013 IUI #1 - February 2015 - BFN IUI #2 - May 2015 - BFN IUI #3 - June 2015 - BFN IVF #1 - October 2015 - 7 mature fertilized, all arrested development prior to 5d blast. - major bust Adoption Decision - February 2016
  • britters314britters314 member
    edited December 2016
    @oneslybookworm  The holidays are hard! H told me recently that it will ruin his Christmas if he has to hear a pregnancy announcement from a family member, so I'm really hoping there aren't any.  Maybe you will get a match this month - that would be a great Christmas present!

ETA: @SaphireSweetie88  I got my application earlier this week and the health info is both to ensure there is no terminal illness that would leave the child without parents and to ensure that we are healthy enough to actually care for a child. There is a form that we both need to have our doctors fill out to say whether or not they think we are physically able to care for a child. My doctor knew I was trying to get pregnant and never voiced any concerns about it, so I'm hopeful that it won't bar us from getting licensed :)
  • @britters314 - FX that your doctor forms will not prevent anything! You're now 1 step closer! Woohoo!
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker