December 2016 Moms

Holiday Crafts, anyone?

anyone working on crafts for the holidays? Maybe decorations, gifts, ornaments, etc. 

pinspire me!

Re: Holiday Crafts, anyone?

• This isn't very interesting, but I am debating getting one of those plaster footprint sets to get a footprint of this baby's foot for a first Christmas ornament...
  • @penelope4612 cute! When it was DD1s first Christmas I attempted a cute little "mistle-toes" foot print thing... getting baby footprints is way harder than I was prepared for. Mine turned out to be a Pinterest fail.. womp
  • Loading the player...
  • I made/printed personalized photo frame mats today, since I'm just giving the grandparents & greats photos of the baby for Christmas. I'll take some pics and post. I'm doing the footprint ornaments.....with my dogs lol. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I really want to do something crafty for grandparents & aunt/uncle presents this year... following this thread so I can copy someone else's great idea. muahaha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ajstevensonajstevenson member
    edited December 2016
    Shoot, @chrustinaruth74 my fat finger hit the report button when I was trying to hit quote! I'm sorry, I hope you don't get into trouble!

Pregnancy Ticker 

• @ajstevenson haha no worries. My fat fingers get me in trouble all the time. 

That ornament is adorable!
  • We are doing the salt dough ornaments with LO's hand or foot print on them for Christmas gifts for the Grandparents and an aunt. We'll see how those turn out. Bought the kit on Amazon for $8/9 each.

My mom wants to do the plate with the "Mistletoes" with LO's foot prints. So depending on when the arrival is, she and I will go to one of those pottery painting places so she can make that (I am just along because I'll be the vending machine for the baby).

This weekend I am hoping to get a canvas started with hand prints. In my mind it's cool, but it may turn into an epic fail. In the center it will have my DH's hand print in one color, then mine will be inside it with a different color, then the dogs' will be on either side of our prints. Then when LO arrives, we will add theirs inside mine. I want to get it started now so that we aren't then dealing with wet paw prints and a fussy baby. Not holiday related, but since it;s December, it will be a a holiday craft.
  • I've knitted my hubs two hats... he's been working on our house and it's getting cold. Honestly, that's all I have energy for! That and making Advent happen. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• @maamawaabangi I would love to learn to knit/crochet. I feel like it would be a relaxing hobby.  I'm trying to drop hints to MIL that I'd love her to knit DD2 some little pixie hats! 
  • I have been considering breaking out the sewing machine to make some presents one last time before baby comes...but can't seem to get motivated to even get the clothes out of the dryer at this point! :)

When baby is here I hope to get some pictures ordered in time for Christmas presents but we will see how that works. I still haven't downloaded our pictures from our Scotland trip in June, and the addition of newborn care makes me think getting anything done in the two weeks between her birth and Christmas is absolutely nuts.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Not really holiday related - but I'm hoping to finish DS's baby blanket by Christmas.  I'm a bit off schedule...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Found a recipe for Salt Dough Ornaments if anyone is interested:
    https://www.verywell.com/making-baby-handprint-crafts-284509
  • @Christinaruth74
    I LOVE the word art you're making!!! So pretty! I have a chalk board I try to get creative with. 
    Knitting is enjoyable... once you learn. The learning curve can be steep at times... but it's good for times with hubs is watching a game and I can just do something. So far I've knit 2 girl hats and 2 boy, a pair of gray booties and 2 hats for my husband. I do better (enjoy) with smaller projects, but am about to knit a big blanket for my hubs (it was his xmas gift last year... oops!)

• @maamawaabangi do you also crochet? I've heard the learning curve is a little more gracious with crocheting vs. knitting, but I know nothing. 

And thank you! I started looking into handlettering last year in an effort to do something other than waste time on Facebook. It's really therapeutic for the most part. A friend encouraged me to follow a handful of other handletterers on Instagram and it's been so nice to see inspirational quotes and bible verses filling my feed. I have a long way to go... I'm really lax about keeping things straight and centered, but I'm okay with it. 
  • I found that learning how to crochet was a lot easier than knitting, although my level of expertise ends at scarves and blankets... I'm basically really good at making rectangles of various sizes :smile: but it's a cozy hobby, I like it. 
  • @Christinaruth74
    Yes, I do both... crochet is easier in the beginning, but you can do less with it in my opinion. I also don't like it as well because you have to look at your work (to find the next loop) where as knitting you can do by feel (the next stitch is always there on the needle). But, it seems like people prefer either one or the other. 

• I am not crafty at all, and I bought a stocking kit online for DS and DD. For real guys, I think you have to be crafty to do this and it might be a hot mess, I am feeling a bit nervous about it. This is one of those things my mom would have done for my kids (she made mine and my bro's), but since she is no longer with us I felt it was important that I bust them out. Really though, I am starting to doubt my ability, haha.
  • @SmashJam your kids will love them some day no matter how they turn out❤️