June 2017 Moms

Calling all teachers...

2»

Re: Calling all teachers...

• @NYCProf I completely understand wanting to feel normal and not loving the extra attention.  I'm a little worried about what will happen once my whole department finds out.  I'm hopeful that being in a biology/chemistry department means most of them will be a little detached and view it as a normal, biologic process that doesn't require paying extra attention to me.  I made the decision to not tell my students this semester since I'm not really showing yet and finals are finished tomorrow.

@JessErinF  I did make the decision not to tell my students at all, in part to avoid the attention and in part because I would feel like they were analyzing me all the time if they knew (they're nursing students), but I have to say that letting them know before the evaluation is a little bit genius :) 
  • edited December 2016

@JessErinF @MrsW524

I teach Spanish... What do you ladies teach? 

My chair keeps pulling me aside to ask questions about my leave plans which is quite funny. I'm happy the dept. doesn't know yet. Don't want special treatment or any strange comments. 

I'm giving my students at the University evaluations to complete tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!! BTW- after telling them last Friday, I saw them on Tuesday and Wednesday and it was a bit awkward!! They keep looking at my stomach!! I'm not showing at all so it's just bizzare. The ladies in the class are so curious about the sex of the baby (girl) and my personal life now while the males just seemed excited that it was my first pregnancy. It's funny. I didn't bring it up anymore. Just want to keep it business as usual. 

Definitely NOT telling my high schoolers yet. Just waiting to show.

• Loading the player...
  • So, on the topic of teaching ? What gets you ladies through  the lessons? I've been so tired this week. I usually have some True Brew iced tea to give me a kick. Kinda works. 
    Exhausting teachingggg math all dayyyyyy. So hard to leave meaningful independent work.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2016
    @jennas312
    I have had all day nausea since week 5, tapering at week 14 now. First, I have a 12 Oz cup of coffee each morning and Diclegis for all of first trimester. Now weaning off... I teach a language so it's pretty fun and high energy. I teach 7th and 11th grade. 7th graders are adorable and energetic and 11th graders eager to learn... What gets me through is sitting a lot more than before. I always stood up while teaching. I sit through homework check and class discussions. I also get bursts of energy throughout lessons which is good. I eat some carbs during the day for energy.

On most days I teach 4-5 classes from 9-3... Then I teach one course at the University from 5-6:15 pm 3 days per week. That has been rough but I'll be done next week! I declined for next semester which makes me sad. I love the University (alma mater) and the population. I guess we just get through it because we have to. 

I commute via NYC subway system about one hour door to door. Mornings were toughest because no seat with moving train made nausea worse. Wow! There were times I'd have to get out and sit on platform bench for air/relief to not vomit. Packed trains were the worse. I thought I'd faint sometimes!! It's my first pregnancy with no idea I'd get nausea during a tough semester. Unfortunately, I had to put my research on hold. Happy that part is behind.

We did it and should be proud of our strength!! Now looking forward to the weekend and very soon holiday break!!

FYI - my ob gyn says coffee - 12-16 Oz per day is totally fine. I never gave up my coffee!
  • @NYCProf thats so funny!!  my kids were excited when i told them, but have not shown much interest since then... preoccupied with finals i suppose.  I teach biology, this semester its developmental, then in the spring i'll teach anatomy and evolution.  i also understand about the commuting.  i used to commute from NJ to bronx (2hrs door to door, UGH!!!) and even just when i was regular cold sick it was horrible.  can't imagine pregnancy sick.  I'd be like "Scuse me I'm pregnant can I sit?" lmao once ur showing people will get up for you, but i'd be pushy now haha

@jennas312 omg i feel ya.  i am lucky though since i am only teaching one class this semester, i can spend the rest of the time sitting at my desk.  i have gotten into the habit of a 20 minute nap after lunch which makes a HUGE different to my afternoon.  I shut my door, turn off the lights, prop up my feet on another chair, play some quiet relaxing music, and just snooze for about 20 minutes.  and that's enough to energize me for the rest of the day.  and let me tell u, i sure notice when i miss it! holy cow....  I agree with NYCProf about the coffee.  I currently drink half caf in the morning, and since that is reduced, you could do a cup of that in the AM and one at lunch to spread out the jolt a bit.
  • @NYCProf My primary class is microbiology for 2nd year nursing (RN and BSN programs) students.  Sometimes I step in and teach a very basic chemistry course meant for students who need a refresher in what really amounts to high school chemistry.  I also talked my chair into letting me develop and run an online medical terminology course, which is nice because it's super easy and it's beyond my contract so it's a little extra money.

@JessErinF I would love to have an office that I could shut the door on to take a nap midday.  Even with three sections of lecture and lab I think I could fit it in.  Unfortunately all of our instructors are in one big office.  We used to have dividers between the desks, but one of the older instructors decided she didn't like that, so now we all see each other from our desks.  Sometimes it's nice because we're a very social group, but other times I would just love a little privacy.  It's kind of awkward for advising too.

• @MrsW524 are there any unused offices/classrooms or a quiet room in the nurses office you could use?  Anywhere?  I'm telling you, it helps a lot!
  • @JessErinF We're pretty crammed especially on our end of the building.  Oddly enough despite having a huge nursing program, we don't have a nurse's office that would attend to illness or injuries. I once wandered over to the nursing department hoping for a Tylenol and they were NOT nice about it.  Thanks for the ideas, but I really don't think I would get away with it anyway because despite being a college, we're really not treated that way by our deans/chairs.  We're very closely watched and if someone caught me not where I'm supposed to be (i.e. away from my desk during a time that I'm not in class, even if it's not my office hours) then there would be trouble.  I'm really not even supposed to leave campus for lunch.
  • @MrsW524 that's insane!! Omg how terrible, i was about to suggest your car, but still sounds like you'd get in trouble.  Ugh that sucks.  That's supposed to be part of the benefit to college teaching is the slight increase in flexibility in schedule!!  I think my college here is a bit of an extreme the other way, but pretty much as long as i'm at my classes and my students aren't complaining that I have no office hours, then no one cares where i am in the meantime....
  • The lack of coffee is killing me. I absolutely loved coffee and couldn't function without it in  the morning .Now I don't want it. It made me gag in the beginning .  It just doesn't appeal to me right now. so saddddd
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jennas312 said:
    The lack of coffee is killing me. I absolutely loved coffee and couldn't function without it in  the morning .Now I don't want it. It made me gag in the beginning .  It just doesn't appeal to me right now. so saddddd
    Even if it has hazelnut or another yummy creamer? I take mine light and sweet. It's like heaven in a cup... My sister-in-law also had coffee aversion. I have water aversion!! Now I'm just drinking seltzer again. Can't drink h20.
  • edited December 2016
    JessErinF said:
    @MrsW524 that's insane!! Omg how terrible, i was about to suggest your car, but still sounds like you'd get in trouble.  Ugh that sucks.  That's supposed to be part of the benefit to college teaching is the slight increase in flexibility in schedule!!  I think my college here is a bit of an extreme the other way, but pretty much as long as i'm at my classes and my students aren't complaining that I have no office hours, then no one cares where i am in the meantime....
    MrsW524 said:
    @JessErinF We're pretty crammed especially on our end of the building.  Oddly enough despite having a huge nursing program, we don't have a nurse's office that would attend to illness or injuries. I once wandered over to the nursing department hoping for a Tylenol and they were NOT nice about it.  Thanks for the ideas, but I really don't think I would get away with it anyway because despite being a college, we're really not treated that way by our deans/chairs.  We're very closely watched and if someone caught me not where I'm supposed to be (i.e. away from my desk during a time that I'm not in class, even if it's not my office hours) then there would be trouble.  I'm really not even supposed to leave campus for lunch.
    Yesterday I put my legs up and rested in the University lounge... Have you tried in a cubicle in the library? I used to do that when I write. Hey, the semester is almost over, so you'll be able to rest more. My last day is next Friday... For my full-time teaching, the 21st. Saturday and Sunday are my catch up on sleeping days. 
  • edited December 2016
    MrsW524 that's insane!! Omg how terrible, i was about to suggest your car, but still sounds like you'd get in trouble.  Ugh that sucks.  That's supposed to be part of the benefit to college teaching is the slight increase in flexibility in schedule!!  I think my college here is a bit of an extreme the other way, but pretty much as long as i'm at my classes and my students aren't complaining that I have no office hours, then no one cares where i am in the meantime....

• @NYCProf  Friday is my last day too.  I figure at that point I have plenty of time to rest and relax since we're not coming back until 1/3 and students don't come back until 1/9.  Until then it's all desk work, holiday events, and meetings, so I'll survive. 
  • Me the SECOND the bell rings for Winter Break.........

BabyFruit Ticker