May 2017 Moms

Anyone attempting a VBAC?

Is anyone here going to be trying for a VBAC this time around? I had a failed attempt last time,I'm hoping to give it one for try with this baby, but my DR is very iffy about it. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone attempting a VBAC?

• I was hoping to, but after more thought about my specific situation, and then the surprise of twins, I don't see a reason to. Why did you need a c section? My dr made it sound like if it was specific to the pregnancy (like a breech baby) then it would be fine to try again, but if it was more of a problem that was likely for every pregnancy (like my pelvis is too narrow) then it wasn't really a good idea. After talking it over more, I didn't feel like going through all that labor, pushing for 3 hrs, and then still needing a csection again.
  • My first was because the the HR dropping with each contraction, the second was because the DR felt I wasn't progressing fast enough so we moved onto a csection. I'm doubtful they will actually let me attemp again because I've had two sections now, but I'm trying to remain hopeful. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter was breech, so I'm hoping for a VBAC this time around. We'll see as the time gets closer if I still feel the same way. 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• I had an unplanned CS with my first and really wanted to try a VBAC this time. After talking over the risks with my dr, I felt as though I would be a bad mom for wanting to do a VBAC if something went wrong and there was a safer option all along. I haven't made a final decision yet, but leaning toward a CS. 

My MIL had a VBAC after a CS and is hoping I opt for the CS. She said she is still paying for her decision to this day. 
  • My daughter was breech and I also had preeclampsia so a c section it was! This time doc has given me the ok for a VBAC as long as baby isn't breech and if don't I end up with preeclampsia. 

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• We are tentatively Team TOLAC. 

I talked to to my doctor and he is pretty open to giving it a go under a lot of circumstances but really I need to go into labor on my own to have a shot. Last time I was induced due to hypertension and after 2 hours of pushing I ended up with a cesarean because of "arrest of descent", he just didn't come down enough that he wasn't more or less stuck.

Doc indicated that he may be a little ok with an induction with afoley bulb but he wouldn't give much Pitocin at all and I'm thinking that will actually be a "no go" situation if I end up needing induction. 

May '17 labor memes
  • I am going to try.  The OB said we can schedule the CS and if the baby wants to come sooner I can try a VBAC.  

Csection last time was because our baby A's heart rate dropped during PTL after my water broke. My last OB was ok delivering twins with a breech extraction but with DS heart we changed plans quickly.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'll be trying for a VBAC

I'm not allowed to go past 41 weeks this time and no pitocin. If I don't go into labor by 41 weeks then we'll schedule a c-section.  My was first section was after over 12 hours of labor and ever though I was making progress, she never dropped and my cervix started to swell.  She was 8lbs 15oz so we're trying to lessen my weight gain (over 50lbs last time) to try and have a smaller baby.

My mom had a VBAC after two c-sections and that was on the 80s 
  • I am going to be trying for a VBAC. I was initially undecided. I was in labor with DS for 20 hours, but he was faced toward my back and 8 lb 11 oz so he got stuck and his heart rate dropped. My OB is very pro VBAC and said we'd monitor the baby's size and position. 
  • I had a c-section with DS. I talked to my Dr about a VBAC this time and she said that is was definitely a possibility. If it's something we want, we could talk more about it closer to that time. But I'm starting to second guess it. My c-section wasn't planned, but the recovery and stuff wasn't bad either. I was so scared about a section with DS, but now it just seems like a comfortable decision. My mom has already tried to throw her opinions out there about it though saying that I was cheated a birthing experience...yada yada yada.  We will see. My body, my decision. I will choose what's best for me and baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm hoping so.  My Dr says I'm a good candidate.  My first pregnancy I had placenta previa.... Not sure this time we will know more at the anatomy scan :) 
    Only one Love 
    Born in June, three weeks early 

• The ONLY reason I considered a VBAC for a while was because I am having trouble wrapping my head around caring for a toddler right after surgery. My office (or the hospital where I will deliver) won't let you try if it's under 18 months since your C, and my due date is exactly 18 months after my son's birthday. 

What is going to keep me from advocating for a chance to do it is that I really think it would need to be unmedicated. There is a school of thought that any intervention makes it more likely that you will end up with a c-section, and I just feel that would be even MORE true with a VBAC. 
  • PP are right re: the fact that it matters (kind of) what the reason for your prior section(s) was. That being said, VBAC "calculators" that get used by OBs all the time (often to dissuade mamas from considering VBAC) are not grounded in a ton of science. 
    TOLAC (trial of labor after cesarean), depending on your situation (not all pregnancies would be suitable for this) can have benefits for baby even if the end result is surgery. Seems like "not worth it" but the more we learn about the (good) stresses that baby undergoes during labor, we realize how important that process is. NOT to discount anyone's previous birth experience or tell you what is best - just a note that many many people are "successful" (they have a vaginal birth) and even if the baby doesn't come out that way, they have benefitted from the labor that they did experience. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @mdlorenz thank you, that's really helpful! One of the biggest reasons I was undecided was going through labor again "for nothing". It's nice to know there are some benefits.
  • I've had a vacuum assisted birth, csection, VBAC and excited about attempting Another VBAC!

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• emilyalso said:
    The ONLY reason I considered a VBAC for a while was because I am having trouble wrapping my head around caring for a toddler right after surgery. 
    Holy shit I didn't even think about taking care of toddlers afterwards.  Adding this to the list of crap I need to research before #3 comes.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• I have cared for a 21 month old after a csection and it was devastating for me, because he wanted to be held and climbing on me and I just couldn't do it.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• I'm also worried about caring for a newborn and my 4 year old and 2.5 year old after having surgery. I'm wishy-washy on the idea. The thought of another csection scares me, but the doctor gave me a paper full of risks if i were to attempt a VBAC that scare me too. 

Thanks ladies! 
  • I had no problems taking care of 2.5yo DS1 after DS2 was born via RCS.I think a big help was that DS2 was born in June, during nice weather so we spent most of our days outside. All DS1 wanted to do was play and run around. He was fine with me watching vs playing with him. I also really pushed the big brother concept and what a big boy he was becoming, that motivated him to try things on his own instead of me carrying him around. I also made a huge deal about how proud I was that he could climb into his car seat etc..

Granted I also don't have the option of VBAC so I would have had to make it work anyway.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• @mcvgal mine will be 2.5 when this one comes, and I don't think I am giving them credit for what they will be able to do.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• @mcvgal so glad to hear that you had a good experience. With these being may babies, hopefully we can do the same! 
  • I had an emergency csection with my first. The emergency was the fact that my daughters  heart rate dropped every time I pushed because the cord was wrapped around her neck. My second delivery 2 years later was a successful vbac that was assisted with pitocin. 6years after that I went on to have another successful vbac induced with pitocin. And this pregnancy I will be having another vbac unless an emergency appears. I personally prefer vbac recovery over the csection recovery I had. The consent form for vbac is kind of scary looking but some of those forms don't show the risks for csection and vbac making the vbac look extra scary. I wanted to share my experience with you since it seems to be contradictive to what some have been told. There is a calculator to help decide if vbac is right for you since not everyone is a good candidate for vbac. I believe you can find it on the acog website or the ican website. 
  • tammynixx said:
    I'm also worried about caring for a newborn and my 4 year old and 2.5 year old after having surgery. I'm wishy-washy on the idea. The thought of another csection scares me, but the doctor gave me a paper full of risks if i were to attempt a VBAC that scare me too. 

Thanks ladies! 
    The idea of a VBAC terrified me too... I made sure my nurses new I was terrified. They were great! As long as I was doing Ok and Baby was ok... They were good letting me labor as long as I needed... 

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17