May 2017 Moms
Options

ideas for telling the kiddos?

I know this has been talked about a lot already and most people have already told most everyone in their lives including their children, but we have not yet and I'm looking for advice. Our kids are 3 and nearly 6 so I think they will fully understand when we tell them (unlike my 2 yr old the first time around who might not have fully grasped it.) So I'm just wondering if there are any suggestions for maybe a cute way of doing it (like opening a present on Christmas Day?) or whether we should just tell them. The 5 yr old is learning how to read but would not really be able to read something even as simple as "big sister" (e.g. a shirt for his little sister) without us doing it for him.

I'm also trying to decide whether we should tell them sooner rather than later (my preference in some ways), or wait until after my son's birthday (12/18) so as not to "ruin" his day. Another consideration is whether we should wait until after the anatomy scan in case something comes up at the scan (and also we could use a picture from the scan for the announcement if we wanted). I haven't scheduled it yet, but it won't be until I'm at least 20 weeks along, which is over 3 weeks away. We want to tell the kids before someone else tells them, though, and we are starting to spread the word.

How did you tell your kids?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ideas for telling the kiddos?

• Options
    Do they like dolls? You could get them a doll and explain they can practice for when their baby brother or sister arrives.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    Hm. I don't really understand how telling before your son's birthday would ruin his day? If you are having any family over for his birthday who might say something about baby, you might want to tell before that. I don't really know your family dynamics, though. 
    I just told my kiddos (although little sister definitely doesn't know what I'm talking about!). It would be fun since your kids are older, though, to do something cute to tell them!
     My SIL got my nieces helium balloons that said "baby". Could your older one read something really simple like that? Or I think they even have balloons that are shaped like a baby (party city has some crazy stuff!). It's cute because you can put it in a box as a present, and then video their reaction when the balloon comes out! (Like the ones that everyone has seen of the boy or girl reveal with balloons.) 
    If you want to tell them on Christmas Day, it could be cute to just put up an extra stocking for baby, put stuff like passies and a bottle in it.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about ruining a birthday. I don't see how it could. It'll be all about the birthday anyways. I'm not creative at all. We just told my 3 year old that he was going to be a big bro again because there was a baby in mamas belly. Not original but momentous nonetheless. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We took DD (2 1/2) to the first appointment. She understood that there was a baby in mama's belly after that. She has gone to each appointment since and loves to see the baby. 
  • Options
    I love these ideas! Keep them coming! I also like that no one thinks this will ruin / overshadow DS's birthday, because I might not want to wait. :)

• Options
    Do you have an anatomy scan coming up soon (if kids are allowed)? Could they maybe come for that then find out that way? Just throwing that idea out there since my kiddo is only 2yr. She will point to my belly when we ask where the baby is, we don't think she fully understand what's happening, just that I'm slowly growing a bump. Then today, she came along with me to an appointment for the first time and got to hear the heartbeat for the first time. Since the appointment, she has approached me a couple times and pat my belly and say baby. It's ridiculously sweet and I can't stop cheesing out over it. I'm thinking of having her come to the anatomy scan so she can understand even better, and they said kids were allowed.

• Options
    I told my now 5yo because he plays really rough. I told him he could not jump on me anymore because there's a baby in my tummy. It started out more me scolding him, but his face just brightened up. He is so excited and the very next day he told his teacher and my mom. We've mentioned the baby to my 2yo but he doesn't get it at all.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    pshaortao said:
    Do you have an anatomy scan coming up soon (if kids are allowed)? Could they maybe come for that then find out that way? Just throwing that idea out there since my kiddo is only 2yr. She will point to my belly when we ask where the baby is, we don't think she fully understand what's happening, just that I'm slowly growing a bump. Then today, she came along with me to an appointment for the first time and got to hear the heartbeat for the first time. Since the appointment, she has approached me a couple times and pat my belly and say baby. It's ridiculously sweet and I can't stop cheesing out over it. I'm thinking of having her come to the anatomy scan so she can understand even better, and they said kids were allowed.
    I don't think that kids are allowed, but if I find out that they are then we might do this, also because the dates that would make sense are dates the kids are off school anyway, which is one problem we were having with scheduling it in the first place!

• Options
    mcvgal said:
    I told my now 5yo because he plays really rough. I told him he could not jump on me anymore because there's a baby in my tummy. It started out more me scolding him, but his face just brightened up. He is so excited and the very next day he told his teacher and my mom. We've mentioned the baby to my 2yo but he doesn't get it at all.
    Mine does as well and that is another reason to tell him. Both of my kids aren't necessarily that rough, but they are very clingy/handsy/floppy. They are both always all over my body, especially the nearly 6 yr old. They fight over my lap on a regular basis (and can still sort of share so we do that) but soon there will be no lap! They have to be told this is coming so they can start to adjust!

• Options
    If you hang up Christmas Stockings you could hang up another one for new baby and see if they notice. When they do tell them about your surprise