November 2016 Moms

Anyone circumcise their boy yet?

we just had our circumcision done today. Poor little guy, I feel so bad for him. Anyone do theirs already? How long was he uncomfortable? 

Re: Anyone circumcise their boy yet?

• We did ours in the hospital the day after he was born. He honestly didn't seem to notice so I wouldn't say he was uncomfortable at all. It looked uncomfortable for about 4-5 days but it looks almost healed now at 8 days PP. 
  • DS had his done on Friday. Still looks raw, but I don't think it's particularly bothering him. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Our son is 2 weeks out from his. I would say it looked completely healed to me around day 10 and that's when I stopped the Vaseline or being worried that it would get infected.. he didn't seem too phased by it otherwise but I was constantly checking it to make sure it looked to be healing fine.
  • I'm glad this was started because I have no idea how to make sure he's all good other than coating him in Vaseline every diaper change. His was Friday so obviously nowhere near healed. And the extra time to lube him up has gotten me peed on twice today!
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Our Dr said to take the gauze/tape off tomorrow morning if it hasn't fallen off before then. I'm hoping once I do I will feel less nervous about hurting him. The bandage just seems so awkward. And yes the extra time it's taking me to change him is getting me peed on too. 
  • Our Dr said to take the gauze/tape off tomorrow morning if it hasn't fallen off before then. I'm hoping once I do I will feel less nervous about hurting him. The bandage just seems so awkward. And yes the extra time it's taking me to change him is getting me peed on too. 
    Taking gauze off is the worst part! Saturate with warm water if it sticks. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ours didn't have a bandage on it? Or maybe the nurses did it bc the procedure was Thursday and we discharged Friday? His pediatrician made it seem like it was almost healed yesterday which is good though I will probably still Vaseline for the rest of the week 
  • We did the day we left the hospital. The original bandage we took off that night and started putting a new gauze with Vaseline on it every diaper change. If you're very liberal with the amount of Vaseline you use, the gauze won't stick.  He was uncomfortable for a few days and hated having his diaper changed. He stopped crying every time I put a new gauze on it, so I think it was soothing. I could probably stop with the gauze/Vaseline now, it's been 6 days. But I'll keep doing it a few more days just to be safe. I don't want to mess up his penis and the poor kid have issues later in life (that may be an irrational fear)...

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Yikes to the bandage removals! The nurses in the hospital removed them 24 hours after his circumcision and thank goodness because that would make me WAY nervous.
  • Bandage came off relatively easy. I've tried gently pulling down the foreskin like they told me to but I don't see that it's doing much of anything so I'm wondering if maybe there is dried blood or something holding it in place. He's all lubed up with vasaline though so maybe we will give him a little bath to loosen up any dried crusties before trying again. Such fun!

Good news is he seems relatively unbothered by it for the most part so yay!
  • I wasn't told to pull down the foreskin... justto keep it clean and keep vaseline on it... is that normal?

MMC 01/26/12 

MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • @mamabear1323 I'm actually glad to hear you say that because it makes me think it's just a precaution and not necessary. My Dr said it was just to make sure the foreskin didn't creep back up during the healing process and cover the tip of the penis again. Maybe it's not something that happens very frequently? 
  • We never had a bandage on our son!? But we used gauze and Vaseline for the first week (his pediatrician told us we could stop using the gauze pads when he was seen 5 days pp). He's been healed since then and we've had no problems or worries about him being uncomfortable. But seriously, the weird sleeping like a rock thing right after the circumcision scared the hell out of me. It legit took me 20 minutes to wake him to feed him in the hospital. It was the scariest experience ever. Anyone else experience this too with their son?  
    Me:23 DH:32
    Married 5/14/13
    TTC #1 since 5/14
    TTC #1 w/ treatments since 5/15
    BFN 7/15
    BFP 8/15-MMC 9/15

BFP 10/15- Diagnosed BO 12/15
    BFP 2/16-EDD 11/18/2016 

• We never had a bandage on our son!? But we used gauze and Vaseline for the first week (his pediatrician told us we could stop using the gauze pads when he was seen 5 days pp). He's been healed since then and we've had no problems or worries about him being uncomfortable. But seriously, the weird sleeping like a rock thing right after the circumcision scared the hell out of me. It legit took me 20 minutes to wake him to feed him in the hospital. It was the scariest experience ever. Anyone else experience this too with their son?  
    Yep. Both my boys were super sleepy day of/after circ and nearly impossible to wake. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dreamcatch-her no, my son comfort nursed for like an hour after his procedure! He's 6 days post circ now and while it looks ok, I'm still scared to stop using the gauze!

MMC 01/26/12 

MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 

• @mamabear1323 I'm actually glad to hear you say that because it makes me think it's just a precaution and not necessary. My Dr said it was just to make sure the foreskin didn't creep back up during the healing process and cover the tip of the penis again. Maybe it's not something that happens very frequently? 
    Never been told/had to do anything with circ other than keep clean and apply Vaseline until healed with either of my boys. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Snip.

But seriously, the weird sleeping like a rock thing right after the circumcision scared the hell out of me. It legit took me 20 minutes to wake him to feed him in the hospital. It was the scariest experience ever. Anyone else experience this too with their son?  
    Yes! People came to visit and everything he just soundly slept there. 
  • I wasn't told to pull down the foreskin... justto keep it clean and keep vaseline on it... is that normal?
    I was told the same thing but I wish we had done it. At his pediatrician appointment on Friday the doctor was concerned about the skin growing back and now we have to do some special care items while changing him. And if what we're doing doesn't work then we'll have to do a revision. So, I would say do it even if you weren't told to just in case. 
  • @mrsmaryk2016 what were the special care items you were told to do?
  • V had his 2 days PP and I held him in the nursery for about half an hour after. He calmed down within minutes of being in my arms and didn't seem to be bothered by it afterwards while it healed. We were instructed to apply Vaseline and cover with a gauze pad at each diaper change for a week. It still looked like it was healing a bit at that point but was totally fine by our 2 week checkup.
  • @rspalding001 So because the skin was growing back we have to pull the skin down from the head of the penis at each diaper change. So we're basically breaking a scab everytime we change him and pull the skin down. Also we have to apply a cortisone cream to the head twice daily. It's not a huge deal for us but I think it hurts him a bit because he usually starts whimpering when we do it. 
  • How do you know it's healed? This vaseline step is causing me to get peed on a lot. 
  • Pediatrician said once it wasn't bright red and didn't have any white/yellow on it it was healed. I think his is but we're still doing Vaseline bc I'm paranoid 
  • kvruns said:
    Pediatrician said once it wasn't bright red and didn't have any white/yellow on it it was healed. I think his is but we're still doing Vaseline bc I'm paranoid 
    Yep...DS's looks pretty much healed. We haven't done Vaseline for a day or so and all seems well. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So I'm still in the applying Vaseline stage but is there a rule that DS needs to be bathed a certain way? I didn't know if I still needed to sponge bathe him whilst the circ healed...help!
  • aba0046 said:
    So I'm still in the applying Vaseline stage but is there a rule that DS needs to be bathed a certain way? I didn't know if I still needed to sponge bathe him whilst the circ healed...help!
    My pedi mentioned sponge bath until circ was healed. My little guy will be 2 weeks tomorrow and umbilical stump is still firmly attached, but circ has been healed a few days. Still sponge-bathing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I gave DS a real bath when the redness and swelling subsided. Our umbilical cord had already fallen off though. Seemed ok to me but if he had pooped in the water I would have made sure to hose him off real good. My after care instructions said a bath was ok.
  • We are healed! That vaseline step was the cause of far too much urine in places urine does not belong.