June 2017 Moms

Wide awake and starving?

anyone else find themselves wide awake in the middle of the night and absolutely starving?  I'm 11 weeks today and this has been going on for about 2 weeks now.  Granted, I'm a night shift nurse who has never had any trouble transitioning between my days off before but now I find I can barely keep my eyes open during the day time. I usually fall asleep between 9-10pm but wake up around 1-2am to pee and cannot fall back asleep. Then the hunger sets in.  I've already been told by my OB I need to watch my weight so it's making me very anxious to be getting up and eating when my body should be turned down for the night. Who else is with me?

Re: Wide awake and starving?

• Yup, that has happened to me in the last two weeks. I'm much more worried about setting off nausea than some midnight calories! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Here here!  I have GD and I always find I am less ravenous when I eat protein before bed, usually I eat a handful of nuts or a protein bar. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not even that I feel nauseous. I've literally had zero symptoms this entire pregnancy other than the fatigue setting in pretty early on. I've luckily been nausea, headache, sore boob-free from the very beginning. But I just wake up and think "FOOD" and can't even think about sleep until I have something. This morning I settled for Rice Krispies so it could have been worse. Does this usually last all of pregnancy?  I don't know if I'll survive. 
  • slssls member
    edited November 2016
    Um. Yes. The "I'm fine WAIT OMG EAT NOW" thing happened to me up until I gave birth. And actually after. I remember being ravenous after giving birth and eating a dry chicken salad sandwich in the hospital like it was a gormet meal. However, in the last trimester, you're so big and uncomfortable, it's a minor annoyance compared to other stuff. And then there's always the third trimester: feeling starving, eating 2 bites, and feeling overfull. Ugh.

To combat this, I'm carrying around several types of snacks with me, so I'm never somewhere and get starving. Mostly granola bars and fruit, but I might add some meat sticks in there if I'm craving protein. (They might not be good for us? Idk? So that's why I haven't yet.)

That being said... It's not going to last forever. It was hard for me to visualize being anything but pregnant a couple months into my pregnancy, but it does fade into the rearview mirror way faster than you think.
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • Yup. I've taken to keeping a snack on my nightstand every night so I don't have to get out of bed. My MS is worse the next day if I don't have a middle of the night snack. This happened to me during my last pregnancy too. But as I recall, it was intermittent.
  • Ugh, this happens to me too. Not necessarily every night but I have definitely woken up to pee and then had to deal with extreme hunger. I think when we're that hungry it's important for us to eat, and it really bothers me that OBs make such a huge deal about weight to the point of paranoia. I do try to choose healthy snacks and try to stick to things with protein and calcium since I know my body really needs those right now. But if we're that hungry, we need to eat without worrying we're overdoing it!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Yes!  This has happened to me several times already.  I refuse to get up and eat in the middle of the night though.  I know my body is getting enough calories during the day so I just roll over and go back to sleep.  About 3-4 nights ago I woke up desperately wanting orange juice.  There again I didn't get up and get any because then I'd just be back up an hour later to pee and I'm already having a hard enough time falling back asleep after the 2-4 midnight bathroom trips every night. 

• I have felt like this since week 8. It was the same for my last pregnancy. I try and eat small meals but I snack all day. I bet I eat every hour. When I wake up at 5 I am starving. I remember it went away once my MS did. 
  • edited November 2016
    This has started to happen to me... I've been refusing to get up to eat, more because I think I'll get heartburn and/or wake myself up too much to go back to sleep.  I've been eating whenever I'm hungry during the day because if I don't it sets off hours of nausea and dry heaving, but I am trying not to give in to middle of the night snacking and so far it hasn't made me sick.  (Then again, I wake up sick every morning, so maybe I DO need to eat in the night....)

ETA:  I'm a semi-lurker.  Not sure if baby will be very end of may or very start of June.  I'm mostly on the May 2017 board.
  • I'm team "if you're hungry, then eat." I think a healthy snack, like a banana with some nuts or peanut butter would be perfectly fine! If your tummy's growling, you should feed it!
  • It always happens to me right as I'm falling asleep. Drives me crazy because then I'm too tired to get back up!
    Me: 38 l DH: 41
    Gavin - 8/27/10
    *TW*
    Gabriel - 2nd tri loss 5/17/16 Trisomy 18 & 21
    Hope -  2nd tri loss 12/7/16 complications from pneumonia

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers