June 2017 Moms
Options

Anyone in the ZIKA areas?

Im completely freaked out about traveling to South Florida for Christmas. Is there anyone with more information on this? What are your Drs saying? Am I stressing for nothing? 

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Options
    @stella1011 it's specifically palm beach county which I know has cases. It's strange that my Drs don't really seem overly worried about it. 
  • Options
    Palm beach is too close to Miami for my tastes. I wouldn't go. 
    Me: 28  DH: 30
    Married 5/8/2011
    TTC #1 since 9/2015
    BFP #1 1/14/16, MC 3/23/16
    BFP #2 9/21/2016, EDD 5/30/2017
  • Options
    Generally mosquito activity in south Florida in the winter is low...but I still wouldn't chance it personally.  my dad lives in West Palm and no way will I go there until the baby is born.
  • Options
    @kfitz1900 I agree! I found it strange that my OB wasn't overly worried either?! I think the risk is pretty low given that it's almost winter, but West Palm is still a little too close to Miami to be comfortable.  It's probably not worth the added stress to go. And I'm sure your family would understand.  Stupid zika!  Such a frustrating situation, for sure!
  • Options
    We have family down there as well. MIL lives in South Florida near Miami. We go every winter but won't go this year per my OB's recommendation. We decided it was best if DH not go either. They were disappointed but understanding. 
  • Options
    I'm waiting for my Zika results after having a holiday in the South Pacific before I realised I was pregnant.. Very nervous about it and trying not to think about it... 
  • Options
    I would suggest you just keep tabs on the following, same as @MotherofDragons mentioned above.  It shows only the locally acquired cases in the US in Dade county/Miami, FL... don't just look at the states where there are cases of Zika as they are mostly from travel.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/intheus/maps-zika-us.html
  • Options
    I hate to be a cynic but please keep in mind the many political and financial reasons for down playing zika in Florida. It had already been there for almost a month before they announced it as one small neighborhood and a few weeks later it was in Miami Beach. I do not want to scare anyone and of course follow your drs advice but Florida tourism is targeted to young families and is controlled by highly influential $$$$ companies. Again its winter and the risk is low but just one thing to think about.
  • Options
    @thatlauragirl same.  I live in the st. Pete/Tampa area and I am just being cautious.  But like you said the drier weather has really helped keep them away.
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Options
    I was told at my 8 week appt (now 11wks) by my practice not to travel to Florida or Texas.  I did see last night that there has been at least one case of Zika found in a southern Texas town on the Mexico border where the mother had not traveled.  I believe the count for the Miami area was 182 as of last night.  I don't know how many of those cases will, or did, result in any sort of defect though as a PP mentioned.  We are going to Bermuda for Christmas.  I will be bringing all of the DEET I can get into my suitcase.  It stinks that this has to be such a worry.
  • Options
    @berg I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito in BDA.  At Christmas it won't be particularly hot either, similar weather to the Carolinas, so I'm sure you will be fine.  That's one of my favorite places!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @awillis13 Thanks for the info!  I've never been so I'm excited!!
  • Options
    Ok I'm kinda freaking out right now... we just booked a weekend cruise at the end of January that leaves out of Miami to go to Bahamas. Obviously I live in a vacuum cause I just found out that the Zika virus is in Miami. I'm going to talk to my OB at the next appt in a few weeks to see what he says. I live in FL but just south of Tampa area. Is this trip a bad idea??? Should I call me doctor sooner and ask? 
  • Options
    @praying41, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but isn't Zika in the Bahamas too? You can read more on the CDC website, but I'd speak to your doctor ASAP. Perhaps it's possible to get a refund on your trip if you have a doctor's note. For me, it wouldn't be worth the risk to travel to anywhere with Zika right now.
  • Options
    @Praying41 Definitely check the CDC website. While mosquito activity is lower in FL in January I'm not sure about the Bahamas... if you do go, spray deet all over your body whenever you go outside!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    Thanks @mamaelle27 @wifeinraleigh28
    i called the doctors office this morning. They won't discuss anything to do with Zika virus over the phone so I had to make an appt. Waiting at the office right now. 
    I was looking on the CDC website last night n didn't see anything related to Bahamas but I definitely could have missed it. Will see what they say today. So bummed this could ruin my trip but I know babies safety is more important. 
  • Options
    Doc strongly advised me not to go...so sadly I'm not going. But I know it's better for the baby and not worth the risk!
  • Options
    Sorry about needing to cancel your trip @Praying41. Zika needs to go away!!!!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    Just wanted to add in my 2 cents as I am currently on vacation in Ft Lauderdale. I haven't noticed any mosquitoes around and think it is due to the weather being a smidge on the colder side (low 70s and rainy and windy off and on). I also used to live in West Palm Beach and never noticed any mosquitoes at all the whole year I lived there. I did, however, notice them more in the south- Miami and the Keys- which is where the CDC warning is active. 

I really hope no one completely cancels their winter vacation to beautiful, sunny, FL altogether. Just pay attention to your surroundings and buy mosquito repellant as needed when you're here and avoid Dade County if you're really nervous. It is legit paradise down here!

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    I just read that the zika alert has been cleared in Miami so FL is considered Zika free as of 12/9/16. This is per the FL Health Dept. Doesn't help me though since Bahamas is currently still under alert. Boo. Glad at least I don't have to worry bout it coming up to our part of FL!

And I'm with @MrsCaliRN. Don't cancel trips to FL. It's gorgeous here this time of year. Truly paradise!