July 2017 Moms
Options

Just tell me now - how many times am I about to get poked with a needle

Ok, I did it, I'm finally preggo, first scan tomorrow, time to rip off the bandaid.  Give me the estimate - how many needles are in my immediate future?  Differentiating between the delivery room and the pre-delivery rigamorole would be helpful.  Any heads up about other invasive procedures would be helpful as well.  My parents never really took me to the dr. so I'm not very good with medical stuff.  But I'm gonna try and stay chill about it for LO's sake.  I don't have any birth plan yet, but will probably not try to go all natural.  Might need a c-section, it's common in my family..

Re: Just tell me now - how many times am I about to get poked with a needle

• Options
    cssme13cssme13 member
    edited November 2016
    It depends on your situation. You will definitely have a blood draw for your glucose test between 24-28 weeks and you will get an IV when you go into labor. Your doctor will also probably have blood drawn to confirm pregnancy. As far as a c-section goes you won't have anymore IV's than you do with a vaginal birth and you'll get an epidural but you don't see the needle so it's not too bad. 

I get my blood drawn multiple times because of other factors in my pregnancies so you may have more or less than the ones above. 

Edit for words because they are hard 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    I agree with @cssme13 - every situation is different.

I am 6 weeks today and I have had my blood drawn 3 times already to check my HCG levels due to some spotting .

It will mostly rely on your medical history / background and if you have any complications / issues throughout your pregnancy.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    In my experience an uncomplicated pregnancy I had blood drawn in the first trimester for normal baseline labs, blood drawn for the Nuchal Translucency scan, blood drawn for my glucose test, and blood drawn when I entered the hospital and got an IV for the epidural. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    My experience was similar to the one above. But I didn't do the NT scan. The initial pregnancy confirmation was just a pee test. At one of my first appointments (I don't remember if it was the very first) I had blood drawn for regular labs. They were really nice about it and let me lay down for it and stay until I felt strong enough to stand. 

Then another blood draw for the glucose test in the office. The juice made me feel terrible, so again I laid down for it and stayed for a while after. Unfortunately, I failed it, and then the 3hr test requires 3-4 blood draws. That was terrible, but you just sit in the same comfy chair for the whole 3 hours and try not to think about it. 

In the hospital at delivery, they started the hep-lock while I was in triage, but I didn't have to have an IV until I asked for my epidural. 
  • Options
    Every person is different.  I have issues with my TSH levels so I'm in for blood work every 4 weeks.

I, like most people, used to hate needles with a blind seething passion but I just got over it one day.  It's literally a pin prick.  Now I even go so far as to tell them which arm I want it in.  But I don't watch, that's just a no-no haha! Don't be afraid of them.  They are a necessity and will be something you are going to experience your entire life.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    If you are RH- you will need a shot for that  if your SO is RH+
  • Options
    Sorry it took me so long to come back, just wanted to say TY to everyone who answered.  I'm looking forward to the day I "get over" needles.  Considering I've only been poked 3 times in my 30-something years so far, it might take me some time... but like I said, I'm trying to be chill for the blueberry's sake.  It's helpful to have a heads-up :)
  • Options
    *Lurking from March 2016*

I used to be terrified of needles. While I'm not exactly "over it" I certainly got accustomed to them. I had more exposure to needles than the average pregnant woman, so take this with a grain of salt. Here's what I had regarding needlesticks for my pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum testing:

Routine bloodwork to confirm pregnancy around 8th week - 1 stick
    One hour glucose testing around 28 weeks (failed) - 1 stick
    Three hour glucose testing around 28 weeks (failed) - 4 sticks
    Tdap vaccination around 30ish weeks - 1 stick
    Blood sugar testing 4x a day for approximately 6 weeks - ~168 sticks
    Blood sugar testing 4x a day, every other day for approximately 3 weeks - ~42 sticks
    Bloodwork during labor (dehydrated, several attempts) - 3 sticks
    IV during labor (dehyrdated, several attempts) - 3 sticks
    Numbing agent to place epidural - 1 stick
    Epidural - 1 sweet, beautiful, wonderful, amazing stick
    Two hour glucose testing at 3 months postpartum (failed) - 1 stick

Total sticks = ~226 

I'm sure it was probably closer to 250 or even 300 because I when I first started testing my blood sugar I was pretty bad at getting enough blood so I had to restick often (and waste a ton of expensive test strips).
    Image result for can i interest you in a sarcastic comment
    Me: 33  DH: 34
    DS1: March 18, 2016
    DS2: due June 7, 2018
  • Options
    You could get by with less than three: The first initial draw (At the place where I get it drawn it is one poke but they fill a few tubes), then there is the 1 hour glucose test. It really depends on how the pregnancy progresses.  At most the prenatal appointments they just test your pee, track your weight, measure your blood pressure. That is pretty standard lab stuff at each appointment. It it unlikely that you will have blood drawn at every appointment (unless there is a issue that requires it)
    BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• Options
    I did not have an IV at most of my births.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• Options
    Wow MLS6212 you are one tough lady.  I'd like to think I'd do the same for my little tater tot (or whatever it is in week 9).  

That's interesting that you say you didn't have an IV MangomamaFL.  I remember when my bestie had her DS they hooked her up to one.  Does anyone know what it's for?  I remember my bestie had to have Pitosin (sp?) to help things get moving, it was her first, and that was through the IV.  Other than that, is it just for hydration and in case they need to give you something else?
  • Options
    Wow MLS6212 you are one tough lady.  I'd like to think I'd do the same for my little tater tot (or whatever it is in week 9).  

That's interesting that you say you didn't have an IV MangomamaFL.  I remember when my bestie had her DS they hooked her up to one.  Does anyone know what it's for?  I remember my bestie had to have Pitosin (sp?) to help things get moving, it was her first, and that was through the IV.  Other than that, is it just for hydration and in case they need to give you something else?
    Thanks. I'm a pretty big baby when it comes to needles, but like you said, it's something you do for your little one. 

In my case the IV was because of my birth plan (which, FYI, we barely followed since we were first time parents and had no idea what we were getting into, so create yours knowing which things you want to be firm on and which things you're more flexible with). I had hoped to deliver without medications simply because I was terrified of the epidural. But I also wanted to have the option of using meds if I needed them, so I had to have the IV placed. I'm sure I could have argued against it, but I'm pretty easy going and just decided to trust the nurses. Usually before I have bloodwork I drink a ton of water the 48 hours before so my veins are nice and puffy and easy to stick. My OB was telling me that I might go late and she'd induce me at 41 weeks, so it was a complete shock when I went into labor on my own at 39w2d. Since I didn't get around to loading up on water my veins kept rolling and one blew out when they were trying to draw blood and place my IV.

I did ask for some pain meds after about 5.5 hours of laboring because my contractions were so painful. They added them to the IV, but they didn't even take the edge off so I opted for the epidural. Even though I was terrified of the prospect, the pain was so intense that I didn't care anymore. Not knowing how long this would last I needed some relief (turns out, it was 10 hours of total labor). My anesthesiologist was amazing and did such a great job that all I felt was a slight pinch from the numbing agent, then once the epidural was placed it was immediate relief. Since I pushed for two hours and required some stitches I'm so glad I got the epidural. I was able to enjoy the first moments with my son pain-free while my doctor stitched me up. Any subsequent pregnancies I plan to do the same thing--labor on my own as long as I can to make progress, then get the epidural when it gets too intense. It's nice knowing that there's an "out" when it comes to the pain.

Sorry for writing two novels. I hope you're able to get through your pregnancy and delivery without too much pain or anxiety from needles. Best of luck to you and your little one!
    Image result for can i interest you in a sarcastic comment
    Me: 33  DH: 34
    DS1: March 18, 2016
    DS2: due June 7, 2018
  • Options
    I mean. Being stuck with a needle is probably the least of your worries.
      ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me: 35  DH: 38  |  Married: 6/2013  |  Pregnancy #1, APurp born 10/2014
    Pregnancy #2, BFP 6/4/2016, MMC at 9W, D&E: 7/21/16 | Pregnancy #3, BFP 11/22/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Cravings Ticker 
  • Options
    hqinmdhqinmd member
    edited December 2016
    @Manda95816 Many times they will do a hep lock when you go into L&D because they want it there and ready in case you need medication, even if you don't have pitocin. So you're not connected to an IV but they have an open vein and don't have to waste time in an emergency.  They can't force it on you, and some women do opt out, but a lot of hospitals prefer it.

edit: autocorrect, sometimes I actually know better than you do what I want to say, thanks. 
  • Options
    This was me my first pregnancy, all the blood work was literally my biggest stress. I was honestly less afraid of labor!
  • Options
    I can get by just with not looking as they do the needle prick, but DH can't handle it. Epidural is a nightmare for him. I think he's glad that with repeat c-sections, they put in the spinal before he's allowed in the OR. 
  • Options
    I don't enjoy needle pokes. I mean who honestly enjoys it?! I don't look and I take deep breathes because I will hold my breath and pass out. LOL 
  • Options
    It's really going to depend on your situation.  I have lost count of the number of blood draws and injections I have gotten over the past several pregnancies.  If you're unfortunate enough to develop certain complications, look at the bright side that it will get you over any issues you may have with needles.  Samplings of the needles I've experienced

Routine blood draws 

Blood draw for NT screening or NIPT

Regular thyroid screening (every 4-6 weeks)

Weekly progesterone injections (in the butt administered by my husband, and in one instance by a very dedicated coworker)

Glucose screening (only once unless you fail, and then it's a series of blood draws over time.  I fail
    the first test every frigging time).

Rhogam shots (at least once, usually twice, plus the has to draw/type your blood before they can administer it.  Also if you spot at all at any point after 1st tri you'll get another one.  Or if you get in a car accident)

IV at delivery 

Epidural or Spinal - first there's the needle that numbs the area and then there's the actual f--off needle.  Honestly the thought of this one still makes me wiggy, but by that point I'm usually at the stage of "just so whatever you need to do so we can get on with this."

TDap at 30 weeks

Steroids if you're at risk for pre-term labor; sometimes multiple rounds.  These burn.

This is not to scare you, but more to say that everything you might go through with this pregnancy is totally worth it at the end.  My kids are worth every needle, pin prick, and surgical scar they've given me.  You're going to do great.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers