March 2017 Moms
Options

Measuring ahead?

We had our anatomy scan this week (20+4) and little girl is measuring a little over a week ahead. Dr said she's not so far ahead that its worrying but I'm wondering if size this early means anything about birth weight. Anybody have any experience with this? 9-10lb babies seem to run in mine and DH's family but I'm hoping for a natural birth so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something more 'standard' sized. 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Measuring ahead?

• Options
    My son measured about a week ahead and was 8lbs 11oz. This baby is also measuring about a week ahead so I am assuming on track to be another big boy! Funny thing is...my son is a peanut now. Not big by any means. 
  • Options
    I think that measurements have a pretty wide margin of error. I've heard plenty of times of story's where women are induced or have a section for large babies but baby turns out to be 6 or7 pounds.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely seems to be a pretty wide margin for error. I measured small and at my last ultrasound with DS right before he was born he measured about 7.4 pounds. Came out at 8lbs7oz.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Options
    DS1 - I measured 1-2 weeks ahead after 24 weeks. I was induced at 35 weeks due to severe preeclampsia. He was almost 6lbs at birth and the doctor said had we gone full term he would have been over 10lbs. My dads side of the family is also notorious for ginormous babies over 10lbs at birth. Now our son looks like a lollipop - tiny stick with big head. 

DS2 - started measuring ahead at my appointment last week by a week. Doctors aren't concerned though. We have another growth check due to diabetes with MFM on Monday. I'm excited to see him again and see him with his chubb starting to show. 

I have heard there's a large margin of error possible with growth scans. But if a big baby happens - well - it happens. When measuring ahead they usually start checking fluids/size around 37-38 weeks to make sure baby is ok. As long as they're doing fine usually no big deal. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• Options
    kjd291kjd291 member
    edited November 2016
    Absolutely a large margin of error! As everyone has already said.  Plus, "measuring ahead" if true, just means your baby is a little above average.  Let me assure you:::even if your baby is 9 or 10lbs, that in no way changes your body's ability to birth that kiddo! If it's normal for your family to have bigger than average babies, it's because your bodies are capable of delivering them!
  • Options
    It is way too early to start worrying about this!  First, US machines are notoriously inaccurate in terms of measuring not to mention there is a huge amount of human error in terms of where they put the measurement markers (crown/rump).  Then, babies grow at different rates.  So your LO may have had a little growth spurt and then may slow down a little for a couple weeks.  There is no science.  

With my first I was told to prepare for a 10 + pound baby based on dating US.  He came right on time and was 7poinds 11oz. 

Anything can can happen but I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it!
  • Options
    No insight as I'm a FTM but I join you in filling out an order form for a "standard sized" baby!
  • Options
    My son was always measuring ahead and ended up weighing 10 lbs 12 oz at birth (39 weeks).
  • Options
    Our doc said from around now forward measurements vary much more than earlier in pregnancy... and yea, have also had multiple friends who were told they'd have large or small babies where the estimates were way off. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I measured a head a week a head from 20 wks onward. my son was 6 lbs 9 Oz and 2 weeks late. Our bodies normally only give us a baby that we can deliver.  
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    My son measured 3 weeks ahead from the AS on. He was born at 39 weeks and weighed 8lbs 15oz. The doctor said if we hadn't induced a week early, he'd have been 10 pounds which isn't a huge deal, but there can be issues with macrosomia but not always.

eta - US have a 15% margin of error.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    DS always measured ahead and weighed 9 lbs 14.5 oz at birth (39 weeks). He was breech, but the doctors/nurses said it would have been unlikely that I would have been able to deliver him vaginally. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    chrlyr said:
    DS always measured ahead and weighed 9 lbs 14.5 oz at birth (39 weeks). He was breech, but the doctors/nurses said it would have been unlikely that I would have been able to deliver him vaginally. 
    Just to clarify for moms ago might read this and be scared, normally 9 pounds, while big, can that be delivered no problem. Obviously I'm not commenting on your particular situation...every birth and body is different!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    chrlyr said:
    Just to clarify for moms ago might read this and be scared, normally 9 pounds, while big, can that be delivered no problem. Obviously I'm not commenting on your particular situation...every birth and body is different!!
    Well, he was 1.5 oz shy of 10 lbs. Every situation is different, but OP asked for others' experiences. That was mine. Certainly some (maybe even most) can deliver large babies vaginally. Given DS's size, my current OB doesn't recommend that I even try for a VBAC this time. It honestly doesn't bother me. Birthing a baby is birthing a baby. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    chrlyr said:
    chrlyr said:
    Well, he was 1.5 oz shy of 10 lbs. Every situation is different, but OP asked for others' experiences. That was mine. Certainly some (maybe even most) can deliver large babies vaginally. Given DS's size, my current OB doesn't recommend that I even try for a VBAC this time. It honestly doesn't bother me. Birthing a baby is birthing a baby. 
    Oh I wasn't trying to say your doctor was wrong about your birth, just putting it out there for ftms that 10 pounds doesn't necessarily determine the type of birth you have to have. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My son was 9lbs2oz it took awhile but I pushed him right on out. Don't worry to much. Even though I probably shouldn't talk now. I've been watching birthing videos on YouTube and have freaked myself out even though I have gone through 2 labors without an epidural. I think I'm scared because I'm older now.

• Options
    @longliveregina I feel you. :) No one should be scared by other people's experiences. Many a mom has popped out a baby much larger than mine. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker